Hello there

I played with all variations of ranger, it’s my favorite class by far, but I wanted somenthing more versatile, and returned to the spellblade. 
 Why not go trickster? One of the things that I miss on rangers and rogues are good aoe attacks, and the mage can provide this, along another advantages. And my favorite rogue class is the SF, I love how he can get fast and strong. And the Illusionist is because the idea is to be an untouchable killer, high deflection. I know that I will miss good spells, but I’m ok with that.

I can mix spells, ranged attacks with Blunderbuss modal in one hand e pistol in another, and melee.

you're not *really* going to get good aoe with a trickster/ranger though. That doesn't happen IMO until tier 8, which is only for single-classed tricksters.

you'll get some good debuffing though and a lot of extra survivability. in such a case going melee ranger would be good imo.

Speaking of Ranger + AoE:

Am playing an Arcane Archer/Troubadour as hireling atm and I love her. Plenty of AoE - and the synergy between Sure-Handed Ila (which applies both its recovery and reload bonuses to reloading weapons) and weapons such as Spearcaster (+modal = great) or the Red Hand is great. 

But then... anybody tried Imbue:Web + Imbue:Eora with high INT, Driving Flight and Waterhaper's Focus and combined it with being energized (Their Champion)? If you shoot from stealth you'll apply 6 pulsing AoEs (3 webs + 3 pulls) with insane accuracy in a heartbeat. And all pulses will interrupt enemies if they crit. At the same time they can't move and get pulled together. It's just not fair. ;)

Also, with high Arcana very useful against hard to hit enemies because Imbue Shots get Arcana as accuracy bonus - and Spearcaster does that, too. I just leave the modal on . With SH Ila I'm still fast enough to prone-lock those enemies. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

3 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Speaking of Ranger + AoE:

Am playing an Arcane Archer/Troubadour as hireling atm and I love her. Plenty of AoE - and the synergy between Sure-Handed Ila (which applies both its recovery and reload bonuses to reloading weapons) and weapons such as Spearcaster (+modal = great) or the Red Hand is great. 

But then... anybody tried Imbue:Web + Imbue:Eora with high INT, Driving Flight and Waterhaper's Focus and combined it with being energized (Their Champion)? If you shoot from stealth you'll apply 6 pulsing AoEs (6 webs + 6 pulls) with insane accuracy in a heartbeat. And all pulses will interrupt enemies if they crit. At the same time they can't move and get pulled together. It's just not fair. ;)

Also, with high Arcana very useful against hard to hit enemies because Imbue Shots get Arcana as accuracy bonus - and Spearcaster does that, too. I just leave the modal on . With SH Ila I'm still fast enough to prone-lock those enemies. 

That’s great, but I am trying solo and think would be hard to make this work.

The illusionist streetfighter is working good so far. Chillfog, Arkemyr Dazzing Lights and Blunderbuss are doing a good job. 

Ah, you didn't say. It sounded like a party setup to me.

Illusionist is cool for some spells but so limiting in a solo run imo. For example no Phantom (which can be very useful in solo runs). You said you don't care about that too much - but at the same time the benefits of the Illusionist subclass aren't outweighing the drawbacks imo. At least for a solo run.

About Streefighter: I'm regularly playing Edér as Fighter/Rogue tank and it works well with a large shield + modal.

The cool thing about any solo Spellblade is that you can use the large shield Cadhu Scalth + modal in combiation with Adept Evasion and high Reflex to just shower yourself and the enemies with AoE friendly-fire AoE spells that target Reflex. All grazes will get turned into misses and the rare hits will get softened a lot by the modal + shield passive. I can cast almost everything I have on an enemy group with my spellblade tank in the center - and he will hardly get scratched. You don't need a Trickster for that so I'd say Streetfighter is good enough, too. But I personally would pair it with a Bloodmage (although that's everybody's choice for solo and thus that might be a bit lame) - also because Blood Sacrifice can be a tool to actively bring you down do flanked + bloodied and profit from the On the Edge passive - even if you don't get hit at all. If you tank around you also wouldn't need Powder Burns to get flanked. You'll just get flanked the "natural way".

But I guess Illusionist also works. :) 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods