Strike Three... the 2021 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

Been a little while since the Braves brought one home.  Good for them. I don't care much about either team but I do feel bad Dusty Baker didn't get another ring. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Been a little while since the Braves brought one home.  Good for them. I don't care much about either team but I do feel bad Dusty Baker didn't get another ring. 

I don't even like the sport and I was actively keeping up with the World Series and cheering for the Braves purely out of spite for the Astros. How could you not? :huh:

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

4 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I felt old when they said it'd been 26 years since the last Atlanta WS Championship.

Nice to see the team win though, and in a year they were not predicted to do very well.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I also felt bad for Dusty, but it was pretty hard to drum up any sympathy for the Astros. :p

19 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I also felt bad for Dusty, but it was pretty hard to drum up any sympathy for the Astros. :p

LOL I assume no pun intended there!

• Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

5 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

How could you not?

So when the Astros win something, a lot of the restaurants give out free **** in Houston. I don't care about baseball but I like free ****. So bummer I guess.

• Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I probably shouldn't have brought my lunch to work, I didn't think to restaurant crawl to see if anyone was giving away free food.

• Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 minute ago, Amentep said:

I probably shouldn't have brought my lunch to work, I didn't think to restaurant crawl to see if anyone was giving away free food.

On the other hand if no one was giving out free stuff you'd be at a loss.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Just now, KP the meanie zucchini said:

On the other hand if no one was giving out free stuff you'd be at a loss.

True, but I could have just bought something if I didn't get any free stuff, so I'd still have lunch of some sort.

6 minutes ago, Amentep said:

True, but I could have just bought something if I didn't get any free stuff, so I'd still have lunch of some sort.

But you'd still be out the time you spent restaurant crawling, which you can now spend debating the merits of buying or bringing lunch and free food after a local sports team wins.

• Gasp! 1

6 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

But you'd still be out the time you spent restaurant crawling, which you can now spend debating the merits of buying or bringing lunch and free food after a local sports team wins.

Yeah, not having the time to debate minutia on the internet would be a real blow. 🤓

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Malcador said:

*minutiae

I'd like to say I did it on purpose just to try and catch someone with it who'd have to reply to correct me, but like Albert Einstein famously said "It's a fair cop".

Well, was a just a joke on the utter futility of our time spent here.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, now we have nothing to look forward to but arbitration, free agency, the hot stove league, and of course all the managers that are getting fired today. But, don’t lose hope. Pitchers and catchers report in 109 days!

Hey the Panthers are 7-0-1 so far so I’ve got something to occupy my time until then!

there’s also that NFL thing but I’ve kind of lost interest in that. College ball is always awesome though 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

7 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Buster Posey is retiring tomorrow.

I have a lot of feels about this. I don't know where to start.

You beat me to it! That guy is tough. He's had to overcome a lot of bad injuries. 

Thomas Sowell

Buster is the best baseball player I have ever watched. I mean, I got to see him in the minors. I got to see his first at bat. I watched him guide pitching staffs to 3 World Series and a perfect game. He played the toughest position in the sport and it was amazing to see. 

I know Bonds was a better hitter, and I have enjoyed watching some great pitchers as well, but Buster was just the total package. He controlled the game masterfully.

On 11/3/2021 at 2:06 PM, Guard Dog said:

College ball is always awesome though 

I despise college ball, but I keep up with it to see what teams are doing well, as it impacts the NFL. The tiny speck of interest I had went like dust in the wind as soon as I saw the CFP Committee release its rankings. Combined with every else wrong with it, it's a joke of a "competitive" sport.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.