The Good News Thread

Guard Dog

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Iraqi Drought Reveals Stunning 3,400-Year-Old City Covered By Tigris River

I think I sacked this city while playing Old World. 

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

• 4 weeks later...
  • Like 1

Thomas Sowell

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

• 6 months later...

Wherever you are @Guard Dog, I hope you're busy enjoying the more positive sides of life rather than raging against the establishment 😝

It's not a secret, that I'm no fan of religious institutions, but sometimes you hear about people that are sounds like they are "good people" despite being religious. Or maybe they listen more to the ethics of their religion than they listen to the people claiming to speak on behalf of said religion. Anyway, enough of my own ranting

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64354823

His family described him as a humble, God-loving man, who would often send handwritten get-well cards and share vegetables from his garden with neighbours.

But even his family didn't know one big secret. Every month, for nearly a decade, Mr Childress donated $100 (£80) to the local pharmacy for anyone who couldn't afford to pay for a prescription.

Over the years, he gave nearly $12,000 to the community, but his generosity came with one condition: don't tell anyone.

He passed away at the age of 80, after having saved both lives and quality of life of an unknown number of people through his (secret) generosity. The world needs more of his kind

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

Thomas Sowell

Don't know about you guys but I think good news is more important than ever.

• Like 6

Thomas Sowell

for a true depressive, realizing good news keeps happening to other folks will make them feel more miserable. counter-intuitive, tales o' woe have cathartic value as those who see each new day as a cause for lament is able to find some small solace in the recognition that in spite o' their isolation, only in their suffering is they other than alone.

that said, and as crazy as it sounds, am having been told our pov is a bit cynical... serious. am also self-aware enough to recognize how a guy who has joyce's the dead memorized is likely not the best role model for achieving healthy warm and fuzzy. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I have to admit my optimism has taken a hit of late. But like CS Lewis said, the sun is always shining somewhere else. It makes me happy to be reminded of that. Yeah, I know that wasn't where Lewis was going with that thought but  I'm putting my own spin on it.

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Yeah, I know that wasn't where Lewis was going with that thought

indeed. lewis observed we need live in the shadowlands while the sun shines somewheres else.

"God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pain: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world… no doubt pain as God’s megaphone is a terrible instrument-- it may lead to final and unrepented rebellion. it gives the only opportunity the bad man can have for amendment. it removes the veil. it plants the flag of truth within the fortress of a rebel soul." -- c.s. lewis on the redemptive power o' suffering

you do have a habit o' reading quotes so they mean the opposite o' what the author intended, but am s'posing is refreshing in a way. 

(our quote is from memory, so is likely we got a word or two reversed. apologies.)

nevertheless, unlike c.s. lewis, am actual agreeing with your observation 'bout the value o' good news. am just observing how for the genuine hopeless, good news is yet another hammer blow from fate. isn't necessarily rational, but if you ever try and cheer up a depressed person with good news, you may not get the reaction you intended. the sun shining over the next hill or down the road cements the knowledge that the depressed must endure the shadowlands and while such pain may be proof o' God for the diehard catholic, it is a cruel jest for the disconsolate.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I can understand the need to say "why me". Despite my best efforts not to I have caught myself saying it at times. But I don't believe in predestination, or some grand master plan for the warp and woof of life. It's all just random. Things happen because they happened. The undeserving prosper and the deserving fail as often as the reverse I guess.  You do your best with what you have and things work out as they work out. My faith in God makes me believe that, in the end, we will find out that all those things we found so unbearable and caused us so much pain were not a big deal at all. It's like when your high school girlfriend dumped you and you thought the world was ending. Later on as you grew in experience you realized it wasn't a big deal at all. I think, hope, it will be like that after we have left this life behind.

Thomas Sowell

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

Maple Leafs fans belt out US national anthem in Toronto after singer’s mic cuts out

Leafs fans get a bad rap. They're ok. Not their fault their team breaks their hearts every year.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell