Military Thread: Humanity Hanging from a Cross of Iron

Guard Dog

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Nothing an EMP pulse can’t fix?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

I thought they were able to focus it now. I'll have to go look it up.

am suspecting any number o' directed energy weapons has been developed to permanent or temp disrupt electrical devices, but is doubtful is gonna be based on emp.  is two flavours o' emp which disrupt electronics. the most straightforward variety o' emp which is disrupting electronics is the result o' the fireball from a nuke blast warping or distorting the earth's magnetic field. is based on principles o' magnetohydrogynamics and is kinda kewl... if you ignore the face melting horrors o' nukes.

serious heat and or serious magnets, and am not seeing how you could possible create a weapon with any kinda range which would replicate the distortions required.

the other kinda emp involves gamma rays interacting with atmospheric particles, and am suspecting an array of xray or gamma ray lasers could be developed to produce a similar effect in a relative narrow field. am not certain what would be the power requirements for such, but am thinking is probable on the order o' magnitude o' a small yield nuke... which brings us to a weird Gromnir moment where am recalling a hypothetical antiballistic missile project from the early 90s which suggested studding a nuke with xray lasers. am not joking. am remembering a mock-up looked something like the orb from brisco county jr. if a bit less dramatic.

CF7RX.jpg

fire the xray laser nuke into high atmosphere, somewhere in the general path o' oncoming ballistic missiles, and then explode. the xray lasers would be destroyed almost instantaneous, but not before sending out an omnidirectional shower o' powerful "beams" capable o' mass destruction as well as stratosphere particle interactions resulting in the equivalent o' emp effects. 

'course if you come up with a more focused energy device which is capable o' frying electronics, (probable microwaves) and you wanna call it an emp weapon, then am not seeing a problem. sure, such ain't gonna be an accurate description, but most o' us scifi nerds is familiar with what is the results o' an emp, so a directed weapon which does same thing to electronics might as well be called an emp weapon even if is technical inaccurate.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Should build smaller, faster, cheaper drone hunter drones. Point it into the direction of a drone, sensors will lock onto it, then let the drone hunter crash into the enemy drone.

Or maybe their laser weapons will work after all. That's probably the easiest way to defeat a drone swarm -- as long as you have the necessary power to run a strong enough laser.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

• Gorth locked this topic

More military stuff this way...

:skull:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein