2019 In Games (and Screenshots): a (random) end of year review

melkathi

I think my favourite Obsidian game will always be Alpha Protocol. Great writing, great characters and the one game where I felt Obsidian were doing completely their own thing. Kotor II, FONV, Mask of the Betrayer, they all were standing one another's work. Pillars was its own thing, but a homage to what had come before. Outer Worlds too often reminds of FO or ME or even Borderlands. But AP is just AP.

• Like 6

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

10 hours ago, melkathi said:

I think my favourite Obsidian game will always be Alpha Protocol. Great writing, great characters and the one game where I felt Obsidian were doing completely their own thing. Kotor II, FONV, Mask of the Betrayer, they all were standing one another's work. Pillars was its own thing, but a homage to what had come before. Outer Worlds too often reminds of FO or ME or even Borderlands. But AP is just AP.

I'll agree to that, even though some of the things in that game are quite horribly buggy it feels fresh and interesting. And I do love the dialogue stance system they had, it's pretty damn cool. And the reactivity... Mmmm...

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 1/7/2020 at 7:47 PM, melkathi said:

Did it ever come out on PC? I never played it.

KOTOR 2 or NWN2 for me. NWN 2 is extremely flawed but I still like it.  I'm a sucker for Forgotten Realms.

nowt

34 minutes ago, Vaeliorin said:

It did come out on PC, but I seem to remember reading it was pulled from sale because of music rights.  The Steam page still exists, but it is no longer for sale at the request of the publisher, apparently.

There are some copies on Amazon, though.

Haven't had a disk drive in many many years....! oh well cheers.

nowt