basic stuff I don't understand

Hi all ! 
I have played the P of E I three times but I never had the P of E II. I bought Deadfire yesterday and today I started my first ever walkthrough... It is turn-based. VETERAN difficulty. 

My main character is a Chanter/  Fighter 😄 with guns /*Aumaua with Arcebuses / , BUT Im having a lot of problems  😂in the first levels as I maybe am missing something, although I know something about the mechanisms and details of combat from the first game. PLS tell me :

1. WTF is going on - most of my characters are grazing most of the time [ the main, Eder and a cipher I hired - adventurer that is... The priest with the weird unique weapon is hitting better lol /

2. Is it not so starnge that all weapons are allowed to hit only once per turn ???

I mean the very slow arcebuse is used once, the average speed weapons like sabre - also once, the bow - once , ... what the HELL happens with attack speed in this case?? It seems everything has the same speed within one turn. 

3.  I can never defeat a group of enemies -wild animals , during one of the first main quests , as they do too much DMG, I use charm and other tricks and still - nothing , lol. My party is level 3, only the adventurer is 2... Eder tanks but still nothing good comes of all my attempts and THIS IS NOT A BOSS fight :( ... Am I really that bad? 

The quest is not many levels higher than me !

4. The drugs do not have a tooltip , stating that a disease effect will come after the bonus effect ends, so I did use some drugs on Eder / only once / and now he is sick 😄  How might I manage this problem?

30 minutes ago, IamNOOB said:

1. WTF is going on - most of my characters are grazing most of the time [ the main, Eder and a cipher I hired - adventurer that is... The priest with the weird unique weapon is hitting better lol

Taking look at the combat log should explain stuff. In short you are not rolling very well - your perception must not be high compared to enemy deflection. Make sure you target their weakest defences, and if possible, try to lower their defences, if you have access to appropriate abilities. For example a knockdown lowers enemy deflection by -10 in Turn Based, so hit him as he is lying down. 

2. Is it not so starnge that all weapons are allowed to hit only once per turn ???

I mean the very slow arcebuse is used once, the average speed weapons like sabre - also once, the bow - once , ... what the HELL happens with attack speed in this case?? It seems everything has the same speed within one turn. 

TB mode doesn't properly translate action speed, I am afraid. Actions are divided into three categories:

1) Free actions - can be made any number of times within one turn

2) Full actions - will consume your action for that turn - that includes all kind of attacks

3) Casts - generally a more powerful spells and attacks which conclude casting after your turn (when shows up on the action que) and can be interupted

As such, heavy hitting weapons are much more favoured and there is little benefit to what used to be action speed.

Dexterity dictates your initiative and stride. I found middle of the rode initiative to be the most desirable, as it allows to interupt characters who act early in the turn and you have freedom to postpone your turn, to interupt enemy which may act after you. Dex is also very useful for characters who use a lot of "cast" abilities and those will be concluded faster.

3.  I can never defeat a group of enemies -wild animals , during one of the first main quests , as they do too much DMG, I use charm and other tricks and still - nothing , lol. My party is level 3, only the adventurer is 2... Eder tanks but still nothing good comes of all my attempts and THIS IS NOT A BOSS fight :( ... Am I really that bad? 

The quest is not many levels higher than me !

As you can't overlevel the content and powerful synergies haven't kicked in yet (nor powerful equipment) the opening isle is some of the hardest content you will encounter in the entire game. Fight in the digsite, skeletons in the ruins and Gorecci Street are notorious. Try to cheese it, if you can, split enemies, let them get stuck on the stairs, use all the items and abilities you have. It does take understanding of the machanics for those fights. 

If you find it too much, then drop the difficulty down and come back to Veteran after you leave the opening isle - the game gets much easier after that.

4. The drugs do not have a tooltip , stating that a disease effect will come after the bonus effect ends, so I did use some drugs on Eder / only once / and now he is sick 😄  How might I manage this problem?

I am pretty sure it sais something about withdraw effects. Erase them, as you erase injuries - rest. Either in the inn, or using the rest button and consuming food. 

Edited by Wormerine

1 minute ago, IamNOOB said:

T. Y. !!
I am sorry weapon speed  does not exist ... In DIVINITY , they found a great solution to this . And I guess I am f ---ed , ...

Yeah, there have been multiple requests to go with action points (like older RPGs or Divinity) or flexible initiative (characters with less recovery act sonner) as that would better translate action economy of RTwP (at least in theory). 

Be it a technical reason, or design reason (probably time and money reason), it is as it is. It's not ideal, but playable. It does hurt badly some classes that benefit from action speed buffs, like barbarian or monk. 

If I knew that I would not USE THE TURN-BASED mode at all... LOL ! But I am lazy and I do not want to restart after 3h of gameplay even though  h. was spent in character creation, reading and the prologue . And btw I do have a lot of perception from level on  3 of my characters , like you said it is very important but still I SUCK at level 3 😄 

10 hours ago, IamNOOB said:

If I knew that I would not USE THE TURN-BASED mode at all... LOL ! But I am lazy and I do not want to restart after 3h of gameplay even though  h. was spent in character creation, reading and the prologue . And btw I do have a lot of perception from level on  3 of my characters , like you said it is very important but still I SUCK at level 3 😄 

keep in mind you may hire an extra party member (or two) for the fight in question. based on feedback observed over the past +year, almost nobody who is having difficulty with port maje acquires a hireling.

Spoiler

eder starts off with explosives in his inventory, and you may find their use particular helpful in the gladiatorial arena fight with beasts. there are barrels o' gunpowder which when exploded will destroy all adjacent beasts save the drake and possibly wurms. use explosives to do damage, stun, and ignite barrels of gunpowder... while recognizing such barrels are equal lethal to you and your party.

keep it simple and inch towards daylight. 

that said, deadfire is potential a long game. two hours of gameplay will be relative inconsequential long term. if you have the coin, you may retrain characters at inns or via shopkeeper ui. don't need to restart from start. is no reason to hang onto a difficult build unless you want to.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Strongly second Gromnir's advice above if you're still stuck. Buying two hirelings or even just one greatly eases the digsite section. And it costs very little gold. It's almost a must on PotD if you aren't cheesing.

• Like 1

You can sneak through the hole digsite as well and don't fight at all if you don't want to. As soon as you find a certain guy at a certain pillar the enemies will be goine and the quest will be solved. No need to fight if you can't win it and if you don't want to hire adventurers. You need a bit of stealth and good timing as a player to sneak past some patrolling creatures - but it's not too difficult.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

JUST before I read the helpful tips , I hired a cipher from the inn. So the monster group in front of that sub-level entranced was easily destroyed, GG. I also managed to level up my characters before going in  /just 1 level but it was more than enough /

BUT I THANK you all for the help ! 😛    😄 

• Like 2