[BUG?] Monk's resonant touch triggering resonant touches of other monks

Jardik

Question

If you have two (or more) monks in your party, all with Resonant Touch skill, and they both apply resonant touch status effect to their targets (different or same, it doesn't matter), then when you trigger the ability to convert them to damage, the first monk will trigger damage from resonant touches the other monk did, not only his.

6 answers to this question

I looked into how the ability is programmed. When you pick up Resonant Touch skill, you get a passive ability that will apply status effect to the target when you attack. This status effect can stack with the same status effect from other monks, so there are no independent stacks. When you trigger the Resoant Touch attack ability, it gives immunity to resonant touch status effect to everyone in range, causing the status effect to be cleared. When the status effect is cleared, it triggers the damage status effect associated with it.

It looks like it is not programmed with multiple monks in party in mind ...

• Like 1

Nice analysis. 

But where is the problem?

That they stack? Don't think so - they should.

That they get all triggered by one use of Resonant Touch? Well that spares you some wounds and recovery time - but I don't think it's a big issue balance-wise. 2 wounds is not that expensive and if every monk had to trigger his own stack of RTs it would only cost +2 wounds per monk - while the enemy will be dead anyway from all those stacks. 

Or do I miss something?

The main balance problem is that Resonant Touch has no stack limit (no matter if one or multiple monks). 

That's why the upcoming "community patch" addresses this issue and puts a cap of (I think 25) on Resonant Touch. This is just too powerful against high health enemies like Megabosses or Dragons - who usually trigger certain events once they lost a certain amount of health. Those get omitted if you can simply stack 500 RTs and then trigger them all at once...

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

6 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Nice analysis. 

But where is the problem?

That they stack? Don't think so - they should.

That they get all triggered by one use of Resonant Touch? Well that spares you some wounds and recovery time - but I don't think it's a big issue balance-wise. 2 wounds is not that expensive and if every monk had to trigger his own stack of RTs it would only cost +2 wounds per monk - while the enemy will be dead anyway from all those stacks. 

Or do I miss something?

The main balance problem is that Resonant Touch has no stack limit (no matter if one or multiple monks). 

That's why the upcoming "community patch" addresses this issue and puts a cap of (I think 25) on Resonant Touch. This is just too powerful against high health enemies like Megabosses or Dragons - who usually trigger certain events once they lost a certain amount of health. Those get omitted if you can simply stack 500 RTs and then trigger them all at once...

I raised a thread to have limitation on Resonant Touch in January, but now I don't think the balance issue is due to unlimited stacks. I'd rather say it's unbalanced because the damage is too high. With a Helwalker, you can empower Resonant Touch to reach 42 damage per stack, without empower it is around 30. FrostSeeker can do 3~9 stacks per hit, blunderbuss is 4 stacks and u can dual it. Hand mortar and Flail of flame keeper can do it in AOE.

So with FSeeker, it's 120~360 per hit, 160 for blunderbuss. Can u do more than 50 damage with backstab or deep wound or deathblow? Even if u have backstab + deep wound + deathblow, you might not do more damage than a monk with Resonant Touch. Also to be noticed that RT has no pre-condition and bypass AR.

Edited by dunehunter

Yes, it is OP. 

Backstab by the way only does +100% base damage (roll). At best that's +25 or something.

It gets weaker the higher you level because it doesn't scale at all while ResTouch seems to scale with PL. I mean it's an active ability so why not - bit Sneak Attack does scale - why not Backstab?

Anyways - none of these issues will get fixed now, so yeah... mods. ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods