Whispers of the Wind and Hand Mortars cause massive Memory Leak

AlexDeLarge

Question

As title suggests, whenever i do this combo on a packed battlefield, the game slows down to a crawl. I would be fine with only this as a consequence, but after fights, my framerate decreases by ~10. If i do 3 big fights using this combo, i basically have to restart the game because my overall framerate becomes 30 or lower (and a lot of stuttering). Please do something about this, it's completely ruining my enjoyment of the game.

6 answers to this question

It's really bumming me out, i had my whole game planned around this build and now i kinda don't wanna use it anymore because the downside of restarting every hour or so is too much.

probably need to post more about your system? I've used both weapons extensively and haven't had any such issues, even on my older 5-6year old PC.

It shouldn't have a problem running Deadfire well:

i5-6600 @3.30 GHz

16 GB RAM

GTX 970 

SSD hard disk

Windows 10 x64

I also tried all the workarounds i found online, such as customizing Deadfire settings in nvidia settings, but to no avail

It shouldn't have a problem running Deadfire well:

i5-6600 @3.30 GHz

16 GB RAM

GTX 970 

SSD hard disk

Windows 10 x64

I also tried all the workarounds i found online, such as customizing Deadfire settings in nvidia settings, but to no avail

interesting. my older build had an older generation cpu (i5-4430) though I upgraded the gpu to 1060 some years back. it doesn't have this persistent drop.

do you have system monitoring? wondering if it's bad thermals (i seem to remember 970 could run warm, 1060 is pretty cool) that are being exacerbated by the graphical load of firing those weapons. (maybe also it happened to you before, but now you're just noticing it more and attributing it to the weapons)

Deadfire is running on a really inefficient engine. On my newer build (AMD 2700x, Vega 64, 32 GB ram) I would get stuttering and frame rate drops after playing the game for a while, and after some monitoring it was because the engine was so inefficient it was causing throttling on my system due to high temps. I had to overclock+undervolt my system to fix it (and even now Deadfire pulls resources like nothing else; Assassin's Creed Odyssey with all settings maxed on HDR at 1080p only draws ~170w and temps never spike past 65-70, Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 4k draws ~200w and temps never spike past 78, whereas I could be sitting at a paused combat screen with not much action going on in Deadfire, drawing 260+w, and temps will be dancing just under the max (~82-84) before radeon software will automatically alert me about exceeding safe temps, and this is after undervolting and having to manually unlock fan curves just for Deadfire to make fans blow harder). Vega 64 is a warm/inefficient-temp gpu, so if 970 is similar that could be related.

Edited by thelee

I didn't notice any overheating, it's also silent, no coil whine. You are right that i would get framerate degeneration even before using Whisper + Hand Mortar, but this combo accelerates it tenfold.

Thanks for your help man, appreciate it. If the devs are unable to fix such a glaring issue after ~1 year of release, the least they could do is provide us some manual workarounds in order to ameliorate the situation.