1. Heralds can use everything up to level 7. However, they'll only get level 7 ancient weapons (the best summons in the game) at level 19. For most of the game you'll be using Ogres or wurms (which you'll get immediately with Berath's Blessings start at level 4 bonus).
2. If you're going to do nothing but summon low level minions, Beckoners are better.
3. However, for high level minions, Troubadour is simply better. The problem with Beckoner is that your summons have -50% duration time, which means that you can't continuously keep up high level summons (as it takes a long time to build up the chants to summon things like ancient weapons).
4. Spores can charm enemies. That's the only reason to get them. Otherwise, ancient weapons is ALWAYS better. That's the one you want to aim for.
5. Your auras will buff your summons.
6. Your summons are independent of you and you do not lose anything if they get damage or killed.
7. Berserker/Chanter involves the weapon known as Grave Caller. Berserkers are confused, meaning that their attacks hit friend and foe. Grave Caller summons imps every time you kill a skeleton. So the idea is to have a Berserker in the party AND a chanter (or a multiclass of the two). The chanter summons the skeletons and the berserker kills them, thereby summoning an army of imps.
8. A variant on this is the Essence Interrupter Crit Machine Heath Orlan Rogue/Ranger. Get your critical chance as high as possible and use essence interrupter to attack summons made by a chanter in your party. Every time you crit with this weapon, and the target you crit dies, it summons a random minion.
9. Paladins multiclass make chanter super tanky, BUT it means you won't get Ancient Weapons until really really late. It's up to you if you think it's worth it but having two heralds in the party is NEVER a bad idea as the auras the Paladins generate buff the minions, too. Besides, Paladins with a fire-based build hit pretty hard.
10. Another good synergy is Hellwalker (monk)/Chanter. Idea is to use Turning Wheel for +10 int for longer duration of summons. With Turning Wheel, you can easily get up to 35 int for 80 second duration summons. If you're a Troubadour, that means you'll have time the time to cast other invocations like the "Energize yourself invocation," which is literally the best inspiration in the game. With Helwalker you get +10 might so you're dishing out a good deal of damage, too in the backlines behind the summons. To get wounds, use Dance of Death.
Edited by Marigoldran, 25 January 2019 - 11:09 AM.