When you upload to Steam Workshop the custom portrait is shown as the steam thumbnail so maybe:

Do you import this character at level 19? What happens if you choose him when starting a game?
start a new game and the character just levels as normal; I think the level you import at only matters for importing hirelings- you can choose to import a character at "native level" which I'm guessing means they join your party as-is with all ability and skill choices made by the person who created them

Character portrait update: I deleted the custom portrait from my game folder, and deleted several other custom portraits too. I started a new game and selected the character I'd exported with a custom portrait, and his portrait was shown in the game. I progressed character creation to portrait selection, and none of the portraits I'd deleted were there but my exported character's was.

So it looks like exporting your character DOES include the portrait

Yikes. I guess they never ran this feature through legal? I foresee many copyright issues spawned from this, since 99.9% of all custom portraits are based on other peoples' properties. It one thing when they're are posted in some subsection of a forum with a smaller userbase, but to put them up on Steam for all to see is taking it to another level.

It saves time coming up with a new character- I'm making a bunch of characters at inns and just exporting them so I can play as them at a later time and cut character creation time down. New players who see all the possible options and don't know what to make of them can just look through premade characters and pick one that seems cool

• Like 1

I'm missing something or there's absolutely no benefit from exporting/importing the watcher? When importing the watcher at the character creation you start as a  lvl1 with no items and you're stripped of all abilities.

Saves time if you use the same basic watcher build every time. Also, a good way to back up my carefully edited character portrait!

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 1

Yikes. I guess they never ran this feature through legal? I foresee many copyright issues spawned from this, since 99.9% of all custom portraits are based on other peoples' properties. It one thing when they're are posted in some subsection of a forum with a smaller userbase, but to put them up on Steam for all to see is taking it to another level.

I don't think putting them up on Steam is a problem, since there is a lot of songs and images in the mods for other games.

sign.jpg

Plus if someone complains Obsidian can presumably just remove any offending mod.

I tried out Heironymous's character, and some extra info:

If an imported hireling is lower than your level, you can import them at a higher "custom level". This starts them at their native level and then levels them up. Eg- Heironymous's character is level 16, I hired her at level 19, and she started at level 16 with 3 extra levels for me to choose.

If you import a hireling with a custom level lower than their native level then they start from scratch like a normal hireling, but still keep all imported equipment

• Like 2

If an imported hireling is lower than your level, you can import them at a higher "custom level". This starts them at their native level and then levels them up. Eg- Heironymous's character is level 16, I hired her at level 19, and she started at level 16 with 3 extra levels for me to choose.

If you import a hireling with a custom level lower than their native level then they start from scratch like a normal hireling, but still keep all imported equipment

This is important to know.

sign.jpg

Okay, I fooled around with this feature a bit just now, and it is NOT as unbalanced as I thought.

Two considerations:

1) Fully-equipped characters are very expensive. For instance, I tried to buy one of my imported characters from the tavern, and he cost almost 110k! ;) So running around with 5 fully-equipped characters from Port Maje is not a serious option - thank God! ;)

2) You are still limited to recruiting characters a level below your current Watcher level. So no, you cannot run around with level 20 characters from Port Maje.

I guess I should've given the devs more credit than being stupid enough to implement a system as unbalanced as I initially feared.

• Like 1