Does anyone know how exactly this upgrade for the invocation: rejoice ... two fingers of daylight works?

Was testing Sasha's with empower a little today on a Goldpact/Troub and for Beast of Winter the Tornado(Eld Nary) isn't very good, since it does mostly cold damage and also is pretty **** if there's less than 2 targets.

Now when I fought the Messenger (haven't tried the dracolich yet, but it's mostly the same, just a lot tankier) and its Safeguard popped I noticed the damage for the invocation doesn't change even tho my pen was slightly lower than the burn armor (15 with PotD upscaling and my pen was 14.2 or smth).

The damage roll is displayed in a quite weird way, you have to mouse over to even see the roll it looks quite like applying a dot, only that it only damages once per beam and is not a Dot at all.

As far as I can tell it ignores AR, but maybe there is an explanation?

Empower on invocations seems pretty weak btw (maybe intentionally because of Sashas) it seems to do at most 20% more damage and accuracy bonus is lower than 10.

• Like 1

Well - empowering Eld Nary is quite the show. It gains a lot more jumps. I didn't check yet what it does to stuff like the upgrade of Seven Nights (Her Tears Fell) or the upgraded Thrice was She Wronged (Her Revenge Swept). Both jump kind of so maybe those are good?

Since Empower simply adds 5 Power Levels it should be relatively easy to predict what it does with invocations when looking at the scaling at certain (actual) Power Levels.

I didn't use Evil Turned Away yet (although I have it with Pallegina atm), so I can't give info about that, sorry.  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

So I just went in and checked. I think it's just so that the damage is fixed so there is no damage roll. Since there is no dmg roll there's no dmg resolution so maybe all the stuff that influences damage besides MIG and Power Level (like graze/crit) gets omitted because they would be part of the dmg resolution mechanic? Including the effects of under/over-PEN?

Iconic Projection also has fixed damage without roll. Maybe it has the same behavior? 

Edit: Nope - Iconic Projection has fixed dmg, but it does a dmg roll - which is always the same. :) Maybe this "fake" roll was inserted to trigger proper dmg resolution - because of the reasons above - and they simply forgot to insert such a fake roll with the invocation?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

It is an ability I use pretty high on ai priority list on a troubadour healer/support toon because it heals your toons and does some damage on the side. It is better indoors however since the projectiles can bounce and also I think it does better damage against vessels.  

Edited by 1TTFFSSE
  • Like 1

Very interesting, makes the ability much better than it looks at first glance.

About Eld Nary empowered, I guess I always empower early when there is alot of enemies around so it didn't jump more than once per target, but just hit additional enemies and I was mostly watching damage and accuracy per target. (which can be far over 200)

Shame that Eld nary rolls against fort and isn't that useful solo.

(debuffing fort is basically wasting resources if one char has to do it along doing damage and tanking, that's why I just use evil turned away if Eld Nary is less effective, 

sadly The heal doesn't work on the caster but only on non existing allies)(I only use the very small skellies from the PL 7 chant at the start of the round to proc hardy from Bardatto's mace and then switch over to healing, once I beat the dragon I will also use the skellies for the necklace might and res buff, but chanter/paladin does not need actual summons at all with double (triple with drug) heal over time.)

I wouldn't use the upgrade of the spell as a primary damage ability, but it does add extra value where if you are going to heal or anti-fear something you might a well get some extra damage in.  Without upgrading it, It is still a really decent heal for a build like an endurance healing herald since while the initial output of it isn't huge like some of the other classes' heals, it is a multiple target spell with just enough power to patch a party until the healing aura can regen the rest and a well placed bounce can even nearly fully heal up a member.  In really tight areas it is amazing.

But the heal should bounce off of walls - does it heal you then (if you get hit after a bounce)?

Yes it can heal you when it bounces.  

Edited by Metaturtle

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

Oh I didn't know that, I tried it only in the first outside part of BoW and didn't even aim for bounces.

I wouldn't use the upgrade of the spell as a primary damage ability, but it does add extra value where if you are going to heal or anti-fear something you might a well get some extra damage in.  Without upgrading it, It is still a really decent heal for a build like an endurance healing herald since while the initial output of it isn't huge like some of the other classes' heals, it is a multiple target spell with just enough power to patch a party until the healing aura can regen the rest and a well placed bounce can even nearly fully heal up a member.  In really tight areas it is amazing.

Yeah Eld Nary is much better for primary damage source, but sometimes either enemy fort is too high or as in mentioned BoW area everything is immune to frost.

Shouldn't the inside bouncing also apply damage more than twice if aimed perfectly?

The fact that it seems to have fixed damage output makes this quite potent on solo PotD, where enemies have to high armor quite often and massive fort almost laways when it matters.

Oh I didn't know that, I tried it only in the first outside part of BoW and didn't even aim for bounces.

Yeah Eld Nary is much better for primary damage source, but sometimes either enemy fort is too high or as in mentioned BoW area everything is immune to frost.

Shouldn't the inside bouncing also apply damage more than twice if aimed perfectly?

The fact that it seems to have fixed damage output makes this quite potent on solo PotD, where enemies have to high armor quite often and massive fort almost laways when it matters.

Yea the bouncing also applies to damage.  I have a feeling that the damage done has a behavior similar to a really fast 1tick dot where if it re-applies too fast it won't do damage right away from an immediate bounce. At the very best average you'll get like 3 hits from all the bounces the 2 bolts do on a single target unless thay have a super huge hitbox.

For BoW considering it sounds like you're a pure chanter,  I honestly went thru most fights using the skelly chant to have them get ripped apart by the nasty monsters then corpse exploded them before their bodies disappeared.  Corpse explosion ability checks against reflex, but that didn't stop me against high reflex enemies although the ice blights and rime constructs are definitely annoying if just using offensive invocations. 

Edited by Metaturtle
  • Like 1

Wait, I was not aware summoned skellies leave corpses, since enemy ones don't.

That makes white worms very interesting.

I don't think the invocation summoned ones leave a body, but the skelly chant skellies do.  You have to be really quick though since they disappear in like 3-4 seconds.

Edited by Metaturtle

Yeah, I only use the chant anyway.

3.4 seconds is a bit too quick tho, I was hoping to stack up at least two, since it rolls vs fortitude.

It's crazy but I think evil turned away is quite unchallenged vs high fort/ar and even high reflex, since grazes don't lower the damage.

Yeah, I only use the chant anyway.

3.4 seconds is a bit too quick tho, I was hoping to stack up at least two, since it rolls vs fortitude.

It's crazy but I think evil turned away is quite unchallenged vs high fort/ar and even high reflex, since grazes don't lower the damage.

I'm sorry, I made a mistake, it rolls against reflex.  I think I always associate CON debuff skills with fort lol  :V  It's not too bad if the monsters like the BoW scourges kill the skellies since usually their aoe sometimes cleans out like 3 skellies in one go so you can precast it just when the bodies hit the floor.  It does take some getting used to and quite often casts go dry. :6

• Like 1

White Worms is great. The damage is per body. If you can manage to pile them up it's very powerful. Sadly in deadfire corpses get consumed after a cast of White Worms. Remember the good old PoE days where you could make them explode over an over again? ;)

Nice find with the skeletons of "Many Lives pass by". 

• Like 1

I am. Sasha's Singing Scimitar + all the passives for empowered abilites + Eld Nary is great. :)

How are you dealing with interrupts?

(I’m half-heartedly trying a solo chanter run, and I’m finding interrupts, with the long cast times, to be a real hassle. And not a huge fan of having to carry an injury around everywhere... : P)

I've been using the helmet purchasable in Delver's row combined with burn injury from Sandswept ruins for quite a while.

All my runs have been very low rest runs (rest once with Hylea's Bounty at the start of the game, get ingredients for Captain's banquet, rest with it and get all the per rest buffs that only go away on resting but otherwise permanent, get an injury use the 3 great wound items (immunity to interrupt, constitution afflictions and fire damage)

If you are having interrupt issues before you can get a summon wall up, you can use figurines or summon/rest items to get an instant cast decoy to buy you some time. It works well if you decide to not go low rest.

Interestingly if you decide to play beraths challenge that makes you stuck in combat until enemies are dead: you can initiate combat, run far away if the enemies are slow, and summon your summons halfway across the map after the enemies have leashed. Cheesy I know but it does come with a caveat where if you are fighting enemies with more healing & mitigation (immunities) than you and your summons can do damage then it basically turns into a stalemate gameover.