Hey, this feels like a somewhat odd request for me, but I'm kinda out of ideas, so.. The team I'm using for the latest playthrough is as follows:

Watcher (Ravager) - straightforward dual wield dps

Tekehu (Theurge) - purely support from Druid side, offensive chants and invocations from Chanter side. Watershaper's Focus

Pallegina (Herald) - a tank/dps mix, passive healing, Shared Flames/Sacred Immolation and maybe Inspired Beacon. Magran's Favor and a Shield.

Ydwin (Mindstalker) - Toxic Strike/Confounding Blind/Devastating Blow from Rogue, and mostly crowd control and buffs from Cipher side. Dual Blunderbuss

Now the "problem" I have is that I cannot figure out who should I take with me as the fifth person. I honestly feel like these 4 work extremely well together. So my question is.. which character would you add, and what role, to compliment this team setup? I appreciate any input.

Swashbuckler Eder built around Engagement slots and Riposte could solidify your frontline, if you're having any issues on that front.

Scout Maia built around dual-wielding guns and making use of cheap full-round attacks found by Ranger and Rogue would be excellent for single-target burst.

• Like 1

This build will work on any Swashbuckler but works perfectly with Eder.  This build is pretty self sufficient and makes good use of the AI. 

The core of this build is gaining as many Engagements as possible, keep them all Flanked with Persistent Distraction, and then stack as much bonus Flanking and Engagement bonuses as possible.

You can decide between Mob Stance and Guardian Stance and probably have enough points for both.  Most of your extra skill points will go to Fighter skills and you will mostly be using the Rogue Passives.

While you can use a Shield, where the build can get really fun is dual wielding Stalker's Patience (Bonus Damage against Flanked based on Stealth) and Kapana Taga (Bonus Damage per Engaged Target). 

These two weapons both can give +4 Engagement when using the Spear Modal.  Add Persistent Distraction to that are you are already at +5.  Guardian Stance gets you to +8. At some point you will max out the number of enemies that are on the screen at any one time.

For armor you have a number of good choices like Reckless Brigandine which improves action speed for each target engaged.

Combat is pretty simple, Charge at the biggest group of Mobs and they get knocked down if they try to run away.  If you want to get even more powerful set Mob Stance before Charging and then switch to Guardian after the first kill.  It would be nice if you could have the AI swap between stances based on Numbers engaged.

Anyone have any thoughts on fun additional items?  Having a Wizard drop a Pull of Eora is always good fun.

• Like 1

In terms practicality, aim for 4-5 engagements. Anything more than that and it basically wasted especially in a party setting as you can't really engage more than those numbers on a consistent basis.

Also Might resistance and immunity is desirable.

I personally enjoy using Eder as a swashbuckler with WotEP with Riposte and using Nomad's Brigandine . He's got enough recovery from Armoured Recovery, and Falcon's Helm and Pet Bonus to offset Heavy Armour penalties. And the added deflection from WotEP and Nomad's help to proc Offensive Parry and Riposte.

• Like 1

tekehue cant use summons with his chanter sub-class

you would be far better of going straight druid

Chanters aren't just about summoning.

Tekehu is certainly great as a pure druid, but as a theurge he is amazing. Slower progression on druid spells and only up to T7, but the addition of one-and-a-half active chants and the occasional invocation makes it worth it.

Particularly if you intend to use him as an offensive powerhouse, his lightning Stormspeaker invocations (dancing bolt, crackling bolt, chain lightning as T1, 3, and 6 evocations respectively) supplements his druid arsenal well, but if you are using him more as a healer/buffer he gets some pretty good unique invovations there as well.

Heck, even if you ignore every unique invocation he has and don't do anything more complicated than spamming paralyze whenever he's got three chants and singing Ancient Memory nonstop after he reaches level 7, concentrating on druid spells otherwise that is certainly within competition range of going pure druid with him.

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Troubadour chanter is amazing because you can run 2 chants at the same time that overlap 100% if you have 20 intelligence.

Tekehue doesnt get access to this and he also doesnt have access to summons. As far as chanters go he is quite mediocre.

Once you roll a troubadour it is quite hard to use any other chanter

Edited by Teclis23

I honestly think Tekehu is better off as a pure druid nuker or support theurge.  I really do like his unique variety of skills he can do for invocations, but a pure chanter can only go so far singing phrases the vanilla way.  He has too many invocations that compete for resources and often times he's just made to nuke like a time-gated druid, so giving him all the other possible chanter invocations feels wasted.  Sure he has infinite resources as a chanter, but if the point ever comes in a battle where the party is starved of resources, he just becomes a resource invocation bot and any chanter can do that.

As a support theurge, he has access to the druid spells to heal or dps and can fallback to chanter. As a pure druid his amazing subclass is put to really good use than his chanter counterpart since it allows many hazardous aoes with tactical use like chillfog and ice pillar suddenly becoming even better without the positioning hassle and he has stronger nukes.

Edited by Metaturtle

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

Troubadour chanter is amazing because you can run 2 chants at the same time that overlap 100% if you have 20 intelligence.

Tekehue doesnt get access to this and he also doesnt have access to summons. As far as chanters go he is quite mediocre.

Once you roll a troubadour it is quite hard to use any other chanter

Troubadour is amazing - if you multiclass it with a class that has lots of active abilities you might go 2 full chants at all time, as you suggest, whereas if you run it singleclass you might prefer running it with Brisk Recitation all the time to get twice the phrases - and hence invocations - at the cost of no chant linger.

But that's not an argument against using companions with other chanter subclasses than troubadour, surely. A player created and optimized chanter will be better than a companion chanter whether single or multiclass, but so what? If you are going to be using companions in the first place, it is because optimizing everything for combat isn't your first priority.

Now, I'd probably find Tekehu boring to play as a pure chanter due to the lack of summons and only having active abilities from phrases generated at 1/6s, but as multiclass Theurge he's great fun.

I'm currently in a POTD playthrough with a ranged singleclass Troubadour main, Pallegina Herald, and Tekehu Theurge, plus Eder as swashbuckler and the 5th slot left for whichever companion is associated with quests I'm on.  Yes, that's a three chanter party, and as expected it works absurdly well.

Since I singleclass my main I run Brisk Recitation all the time with a single chant and alternate summoning and using other invocations buffing, healing, or controlling (maxed INT, of course, so long duration summons). Pallegina debuffs armour, paralyzes, and can also summon extra meatshields depending on what is needed most. Teheku lays down the magical pain on enemies with frost and shock spells and invocations, as well as dropping the occasional AOE healing spell just to take the already absurd healing potential of the group to the max.

It is really fun, and the joy of playing a Pallegina herald or Tekehu Theurge isn't diminished the least by my main being a better chanter; After all, Pallegina is clearly a better herald and Tekehu clearly a better Theurge than my main, and both brings valuable things to the table apart from their chanter half. :)

Edited by pi2repsion

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.