Getting unlimited spells at 19th level was cute, but it was never the reason why the combination was good at every level. Phrases present one of the few strong ways for a caster to improve their action economy, are an effective compliment to caster classes that otherwise lack an abundance of passive abilities, and can help fill the holes in spell lists. In addition, invocations and spells alternate really naturally, tending towards a pattern of "Invocation, Spell, Spell, Invocation, Spell, Spell," with the chanter's infinite-but-time-reliant resources synchronizing excellently with a caster's lengthy-but-abundant spell resources.

That's not to say that Chanter/[Caster] is the One Multiclass To Rule Them All, but it's a very natural combination that tends towards a very specific variation on caster playstyle.

But there are no chants that directly improve spellcasting profficiency. Quite the opposite actually. So if you do chant, all you're doing is buffing your party members, and that's something another character can do. Invocations are surely useful at the beginning, when the caster has very little spells, but at high levels you will almost never run out of spells during combat, because it will be over by that time.

Myth fyr gives you 15% fire lash, even on spell. Old siec gives you 12% life leech on dmg, even from spell dmg. Chants CAN boost your spells.

( Invocation too btw. A fireball casted on a bunch of paralyzed enemies >> a fireball with 1 or 2 more power levels)

Even if chants didn't boost your spells, the point is that they do helpful things in the background, such as passive AoE damage, healing, defense boosts, etc. That's useful. Is it as useful as being a full caster? Maybe, maybe not - it's a different playstyle, but a functional one with its own virtues.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Sorcerer (Fury/Evoker) is actually my favourite caster setup to play at the moment. Admittedly a ways behind a single class caster for reasons already stated, but still more than sufficient for standard POTD in my experiences.

I think an exception should be made for Tekehu: His Druid subclass is top-tier.

I wish his Druid subclass, and to a lesser extent the chanter one, was available to the player without mods. That FoE Chill Fog is something else.

Synergy is the word everyone uses. Deciphering: intent behind building multi-class for many is either to enhance strength of one or both classes, mitigate inherent weaknesses in one or both classes, or allow things that no class could do on their own.

Most often than not fun factor is not accounted for. I personally dislike Paladins that are not Goldpact or Bleakwalker (who are very niche to me RP wise) from mechanics perspective, but I would take Kind Wayfarers for RP any day over these two.

I had tremendous amount of fun playing Lord of the Imps recently, which is IMPractical, at least for solo PotD.

Most people are drawn to theorycrafting with a goal in mind to solve a problem. And choosing play-style or RP preference is not a problem. Creating a build that adheres to your play-style AND can accomplish a goal in mind (PotD, solo, Triple Crown, challenges etc) is the problem. That's why people "hate" Sorcerers and Thaumaturges. It does not match their play-style or it does not help them with their goals.

I for example "hate" barbs, monks and druids because they don't match my playstyle. And "love" Herald (Paladin/Chanter), because it allows me to clear Solo+Berath's Challenge :p  

Edited by Malkoy

Sorcerer (Fury/Evoker) is actually my favourite caster setup to play at the moment. Admittedly a ways behind a single class caster for reasons already stated, but still more than sufficient for standard POTD in my experiences.

I think an exception should be made for Tekehu: His Druid subclass is top-tier.

I wish his Druid subclass, and to a lesser extent the chanter one, was available to the player without mods. That FoE Chill Fog is something else.

It is such a minor mod. Just unlock hidden classes. That is it.