Thank you!

Guest FlorianGh

Thank you Obsidian for making this game better then I have hoped! I didn't had time to watch it grow, made, beta-testing and so on...I just come back from a voyage and start playing. It has everything I missed in POE1 like pickpocket, schedules for NPC's, random encounters and a beautiful travel system. But there is so much more : the voice acting for every dialogue really helps us with bad eyesight, the graphics is comparable to the beautiful Commandos game (only with dynamic lighting).

My only request would be to be able to also increase the font of the dialogue system.

Other things I like : better music, better loading times and the AI script.

Can't wait to see future updates and DLC!

Edited by FlorianGh

Thank you Obsidian for making this game better then I have hoped! I didn't had time to watch it grow, made, beta-testing and so on...I just come back from a voyage and start playing. It has everything I missed in POE1 like pickpocket, schedules for NPC's, random encounters and a beautiful travel system. But there is so much more : the voice acting for every dialogue really helps us with bad eyesight, the graphics is comparable to the beautiful Commandos game (only with dynamic lighting).

My only request would be to be able to also increase the font of the dialogue system.

Other things I like : better music, better loading times and the AI script.

Can't wait to see future updates and DLC!

I really love this game and think it's made some great improvements on PoE I. Or, at least, it feels a little more fleshed out. The upgrades in graphics and audio weren't necessary for me at all, and if they went back on it for quality in other things I wouldn't mind, but I do enjoy them. :)

full voice acting is really great but i can recognize most of the voice lines from all the NPCs are from the few voice casts from Critical Role. understand the budget constraint but if anything i would love that Obsidian could use a different game engine. maybe divinity original sins engine? The 2D isometric really clutter and solve nothing on combat clarity. besides most of the assets on deadfire seems to be 3D and not static art. it's already partial 3D actually.

• Like 1

I still think POE 2 storyline have regressed a lot. POE 2 should be more like an actual crpg. Feels like Obsidian wanted to make an open world game and failed.

Hey, hey, it's a thank you thread :D.

Let's just say thank you where it belongs, and ''i don't like this'' in some other threads. There are plenty of them already.

So, my turn: Thank you, Obs, for being one of the last studio to still beautifully handcraft party based, iso with paint over RPGs. It's really beautiful, way more than Wasteland or Divinity. I hope that Obs, InXile and such other studios will help players who did not experience the last Golden Age of CRPGs (end of the 90's) understand what was great about them, compared to nowadays'. And that this will end up opening a new Golden Era, with complex, deep and punishing RPGs (like in: GAME OVER can happen).

Edited by Abel
  • Like 4

I have seriously mixed feelings about the game. I love everything that OP pointed out, in many ways POE2 improved over the first game. AI is better, graphics are really neat, I like clothing and armors, music is good and doesn't feel boring after a while (unlike in first game, at least for me), the setting feels new and refreshing and I don't have a useless stronghold. Also, more reactivity for previously neglected races. But the plot was such a letdown. I don't want to spend more time on criticizing the game in this thread though. Still interested in DLCs, at least the Beast of Winter because it looks like we're going to learn more about Pale Elves.

• Like 2

Guest FlorianGh

full voice acting is really great but i can recognize most of the voice lines from all the NPCs are from the few voice casts from Critical Role. understand the budget constraint but if anything i would love that Obsidian could use a different game engine. maybe divinity original sins engine? The 2D isometric really clutter and solve nothing on combat clarity. besides most of the assets on deadfire seems to be 3D and not static art. it's already partial 3D actually.

I think going full 3D would really hurt this game. Sure, Divinity looks good but not as beautifully detailed as Deadfire, also the constantly rotating of the camera annoys me.

Guest FlorianGh

About writing and story : sure, you can tell no MCA is there anymore :(, none of my fav companions are back : Durance, Grieving Mother, but the stuff that's left is still great, plus I feel like the world is big, I am level 10 with my characters and, just like with Fallout or Arcanum, I feel that I have a lot more to do in the game.

Guest FlorianGh

For me at least, this is really the evolution we needed from Infinity engine games : beautiful rendered backgrounds combined with dynamic lightning, endless character creation and development, reputation system, stealth, day/night cycle, scheduled NPC's and so on. Really from the renaissance of the latest games, this for me is the closest to late 2000.

Now just bring us Arcanum 2 pls ! :D

I actually like that it takes time to complete the game. I really don't like stories that take a day or a week when so much happens. Though it's weird how slow Eothas is hypothetically going I guess. Lol

Guest FlorianGh

What's with the spolier :( ?

one of the few disappointment are the date thing that still around

so player wander around for 6 month before meeting thaos in underground city

follow eothas around for 8 month before ukaizo

Guest FlorianGh

one of the few disappointment are the date thing that still around

so player wander around for 6 month while thaos sit and wait

follow eothas around for 8 month

you do notice that I wrote I didn't know nothing about spoilers and now this thing comes ...

1-10 rankings of POE 2:

Story: 5 (seemed like POE rehash that never created an emotional connection other than, “Remember Cad Nua” and “Wheel-Schmeel”)

Battles: 6 (some interesting fights, but dev team needs to think more creatively than archers/casters on elevated ground or retread of some boss monsters)

Classes: 7 (unfortunate homogeneity of classes and abilities)

Quality (Bugs): 9 (nothing game breaking, excluding class balance)

Balance: 6 (multi class creates a balancing nightmare- best option is to buff weaker classes and enemies)

Pacing: 7 (mini map bugs me- if you want open world, make it open world - I would say I spent 20% of time waiting for overlandmap or ship)

I appreciate the hours requires to develop a game like POE, but it is nostalgia that keeps a genuinely “average game” (in current state) from being panned by critics. I hope some honesty will help the devs address key issues in subsequent releases/dlc.

Game needs:

+more of an open world setting explorable in real time (less mini map)

+class balance

+more interesting battles, monsters, dungeons (not to be confused with more difficult - difficulty slider should take care of challenge factor)

+fresher story, we’ve beaten to death the wheel/god/man paradox

OP: you actually can increase font size from the options menu, it's a slider too :)

I use it myself a lot since I sometimes play on a 4k tv in my livingroom (with wireless mouse and keyboard) and when sitting more than a few feet away it really helps to make the font a little bigger