I wish we can pick quick switch with any classes, it’s such painful experience to switch weapons in battle. Blackjack can switch with 0 recovery time, I don’t see why can’t make other classes 2nd good at it.

Because they want classes to be unique. I think it's good to have these abilities class specific. I would even go further and nerf multiclassing as it is completely overpowered in this game.

I wish we can pick quick switch with any classes, it’s such painful experience to switch weapons in battle. Blackjack can switch with 0 recovery time, I don’t see why can’t make other classes 2nd good at it.

Because they want classes to be unique. I think it's good to have these abilities class specific. I would even go further and nerf multiclassing as it is completely overpowered in this game.

Or they could just buff single class characters and get the same overall effect.

Also, personally, I find most of the subclasses rather boring, and would love to see some major changes to them to make them less so.

Or they could just buff single class characters and get the same overall effect.

Also, personally, I find most of the subclasses rather boring, and would love to see some major changes to them to make them less so.

There is no problem with most of the classes except that I would diversify them even more. The main issue is with multiclassing as there is no downside at all for choosing it. You should have some serious considerations choosing to either multiclass or single class. So far only Wizard and Monk are classes that are decently strong when compared to any multi class variant. Right now you're gimping your character if you go single class.

So I would opt for both.

Here's some suggestions to make single/multi class more interesting:

1. Diversify individual classes, make it worth it to go all levels.

2. Diversify skills. Make it worth to pick a certain class for a specific skillset. Survival only for Ranger, Druid and Barbarian for instance. Or make it so that survival can only be picked every 3 levels for characters that don't have this as a primary skill. Make skills worth more when applying them and not just have 80% of skill checks at 2 levels of this skill. Rght now every character can max skills easily.

3. Make skills more interesting by having different effects than they do now, such as using herbs to (partially) heal wounds in the field (Ranger skill for instance). Limit resting.

3. Limit multi classing to max level 5 abilities to make them level up slower. Be stronger late, and weaker early. Make abilities scale harder with power level. Weaker early and stronger later.

4. Make multi classing level up different classes every even and odd level. So a swashbuckler will level up fighter at 1st level and rogue at 2nd level.

5. Have low level abilties gain new effects with power level.

This SHOULD be implemented. Right now single classes are meh and multi class is too strong. They should be evenly matched and be chosen for a specific reason or build. Not every multi class has to be viable.

Edited by AeonsLegend

Not all single classes are bad compared to multis. Like for example I don't really feel like another class would add anything spectacular to my current Evoker. I'd rather have the higher levels spells and more PL (especially after Empower nerfs every PL will count for offensive casters). Also pure Chanters have the only source of resource restoration.

I too generally prefer single-classed casters, though they can be built effectively as multiclassed characters as well. Melee classes are usually better off multiclassed, although a single-class Monk gives its multiclassed counterparts a run for their money.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Not all single classes are bad compared to multis. Like for example I don't really feel like another class would add anything spectacular to my current Evoker. I'd rather have the higher levels spells and more PL (especially after Empower nerfs every PL will count for offensive casters). Also pure Chanters have the only source of resource restoration.

Ciphers. But they are better multi-d.

There is no problem with most of the classes except that I would diversify them even more. The main issue is with multiclassing as there is no downside at all for choosing it. You should have some serious considerations choosing to either multiclass or single class. So far only Wizard and Monk are classes that are decently strong when compared to any multi class variant. Right now you're gimping your character if you go single class.

So I would opt for both.

Here's some suggestions to make single/multi class more interesting:

1. Diversify individual classes, make it worth it to go all levels.

2. Diversify skills. Make it worth to pick a certain class for a specific skill set. Survival only for Ranger, Druid and Barbarian for instance. Or make it so that survival can only be picked every 3 levels for characters that don't have this as a primary skill. Make skills worth more when applying them and not just have 80% of skill checks at 2 levels of this skill. Right now every character can max skills easily.

3. Make skills more interesting by having different effects than they do now, such as using herbs to (partially) heal wounds in the field (Ranger skill for instance). Limit resting.

3a. Limit multi classing to max level 5 abilities to make them level up slower. Be stronger late, and weaker early. Make abilities scale harder with power level. Weaker early and stronger later.

4. Make multi classing level up different classes every even and odd level. So a swashbuckler will level up fighter at 1st level and rogue at 2nd level.

5. Have low level abilties gain new effects with power level.

This SHOULD be implemented. Right now single classes are meh and multi class is too strong. They should be evenly matched and be chosen for a specific reason or build. Not every multi class has to be viable.

I can't agree with your list.

1.  You're unclear on this point.

2. Strongly disagree. I like that skills aren't class dependent.  I will say that perhaps there should be a floating maximum skill level that cannot exceed something like 1 point for every 2 levels so that you can't rocket up through a single skill.  OTOH, this would probably require a rebalancing of skill checks in the game, so it's probably not a good idea.

3. First sentence:  This one deserves some thought, so I don't immediately disagree.

Second sentence: Limiting resting.  Not as such, per se.  What needs to happen is, first, require every character to rest once per  day, or suffer increasing fatigue penalties with each passing day without rest.  Also, perhaps a character's Power Level should be reduced by fatigue, perhaps by -2 PL for each level of fatigue.

3a+4:  No.  Just no.

5:   This happens already with upgraded abilities that you have to select.  No need for this one.

Second sentence: Limiting resting.  Not as such, per se.  What needs to happen is, first, require every character to rest once per  day, or suffer increasing fatigue penalties with each passing day without rest.  Also, perhaps a character's Power Level should be reduced by fatigue, perhaps by -2 PL for each level of fatigue.

This is actually fine. In Pillars 1 it would be stupid, with that resting system, but in Deadfire this makes sense.

It's kinda.. fluff I guess? Not really needed. And doesn't really have anything to do with the topic ;p

This is actually fine. In Pillars 1 it would be stupid, with that resting system, but in Deadfire this makes sense.

It's kinda.. fluff I guess? Not really needed. And doesn't really have anything to do with the topic ;p

It's not really clear what you're saying here, Manveru.  I'm not sure if you're agreeing with me or not.