Guys, I think that you're all missing the OP's main point, which was due to the change from a priest having access to his entire spell selection (even if he only chose to use a few of them regularly) to having to select which spells a priest would know pretty much makes a fair number of seemingly situational spells unlikely choices to take.  Then you can only take a small handful of spells, you're more likely to choose the most generally useful spells, and not bother with more rarely used, situational spells.  It seems to me that priests kinda get boned by this mechanic.  And players never really get a chance to try out those more situational spells because they just don't dare take them.

It seems like it'd be better if priests had all of their spells available to them, even though their number of total castings at any given spell level remained limited, as it currently is in PoE2.  (This might also be true of Druids, as well, BTW.)

Even if they have all spells available, it doesn't help majority of them ARE trash. BEside Devotion, HEal and Iconic projection, you can grab whatever and feels like you're missing nothing. Even go full talent if you feel like it.

But  the point is that *IF* you have them all available, you can at least experiment with them.  Right now, you look at the choices and the limitation forces you to select only among the most generally useful spells and ignore the situational ones.

If they were really situationally useful, maybe. But with a few right clicking, you can tell right away majority of them overlap in duty and completely overshadow the other as a bunch of them are just "Cast Tier 1 of this inspiration" , "Cast tier 2 of this inspiration", "Cast tier 3 of this inspiration".

It is not about spells know. Unless you specially take deity which doesnt suit your style(bad deity list). You can spend 9 points on favorite spells and rest 19 on experiments. It doesnt matter.

Even if at tier 4 all shining Bacon, Triumph of Crusaders, Devotion of Faithfuull, Circle of Protection are somehow useful, but you can cast only 2 of them.

Casting Pillar of Faith or Pillar of Holy fire twice is legit spending.

Even if you spend 18 points on spells to be generous and versalite, you still have 10 more level points and nowhere to spend them on, since there are no passives, and most are at high levels. At low level you have arms bearer. 

At tier V it may be hard to find 1 spell which doesnt suck.

Champions Boon 8sec for 30sec single target 2 ispirations. If someone needs engadment probably already has it.

Buffs combine long cast with short duration, if long duration then single target and just single inspiration.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 2

To restate, the priest needs much faster cast times for inspirations/condemnations and all around better inspirations since all but a few are terrible and quickly outmoded. Even giving all the options per encounter would only currently give you...mostly bad options per encounter, as evilcat said, except a few level spells that are mutually exclusive but actually decent. Healing can stay more or less the same although is in need of a bit of a relook considering how slow watchful presence is, for example, and damage spells are fine since nobody expects the priest to shine there. But if the priest is going to be a viable support/buff class, its needs to have actually good inspirations and ones that don't take forever for pathetic benefits. Devotions for the faithful is currently the //only// good one, practically. 

As other posters have noted, the basic issue is that priest was not revised to go along w/ the new inspiration system; other classes quite apparently /were/ revised. It's just an oversight that Obsidian should rework. 

Edit: I looked over the POEI priest again and it actually had a lot more heals, while the inspirations were almost always...better? 

Edited by lpro

I do miss the comfy process of applying blessings from POE1.

You'd lay down some consecrated ground at the front line, 

Hit your enemy mob with interdiction, then save your group heal for things turning against you. 

If you had Durance, you could have him drop some gunfire while you figured out what needed buffing, or managed someone else.

Some fights(lighthouse, etc) required some major revisions, but overall it felt more intuitive the priest mechanics in deadfire. 

I do like the reduced spell selection, though. No sense having bloat for stuff you'll never cast. 

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

The limited spell list really does seem to be a victim of the multiclass system they went with in this game. As others have pointed out, though, so many of their spells are so bad this time around that you really won't miss your big selection. It really bums me out, clerics being my favorite class in D&D and priests being my favorite class in PoE1, but they really do feel like they're designed to be multiclassed.

I also have a nitpick with the "domain" system they went with. They priest of Eothas only seems to get spells every priest seems to already have, whereas others, such as Wael, get new and powerful spells. Digging around the game's files I found an Eothas version of firebug and sunlance, but those never got enabled.

I agree it feels like Priests copped it hard in this system and balancing them for multiclass seemed to take precidence over single class viability. My PoE 1 priest was a versatile spell caster who could dish damage reasonably and buff efficiently. He was the linchpin of the party which felt right as the watcher.

I brought him into PoE 2 and found there was not a role that he wasn't supplanted in. Druids can be better healers, the buffs are not as vital and they can't deal substantial damage with spells. Then I rerolled and multiclassed with a Bleakwalker paladin and started wrecking things.

If they made the buffs more significant, went back to full spell lists and perhaps implemented more casts per level for single class characters then the priest would be back. As it stands outside of RP elements I don't see any reason to have a priest as my main character.

Yes, it's the MC leveling streamlining, that did it for the spell selections. Although why weapon proficiencies got their own screen and spells didn't is to me a mystery. Does anybody not get every weapon proficiency they could possibly want on a character by level ~10?

Edited by Jajo

The limited spell list really does seem to be a victim of the multiclass system they went with in this game. As others have pointed out, though, so many of their spells are so bad this time around that you really won't miss your big selection. It really bums me out, clerics being my favorite class in D&D and priests being my favorite class in PoE1, but they really do feel like they're designed to be multiclassed.

I also have a nitpick with the "domain" system they went with. They priest of Eothas only seems to get spells every priest seems to already have, whereas others, such as Wael, get new and powerful spells. Digging around the game's files I found an Eothas version of firebug and sunlance, but those never got enabled.

No wonder priest is your favorite classes in PoE 1 and d&d, they are both top 1 classes in two system ;)

Well I'm happy that finally it is not a mandatory class to take, finally i can get some other classes join my team.

Edited by dunehunter

No wonder priest is your favorite classes in PoE 1 and d&d, they are both top 1 classes in two system ;)

Well I'm happy that finally it is not a mandatory class to take, finally i can get some other classes join my team.

Munchkin's gotta munchkin. But really, I like the armor and magic aesthetic, and the role-playing aspects practically write themselves.

Yes, it's the MC leveling streamlining, that did it for the spell selections. Although why weapon proficiencies got their own screen and spells didn't is to me a mystery. Does anybody not get every weapon proficiency they could possibly want on a character by level ~10?

You may get at any level a very nice Named Weapon of different proficiency, but you want to use it.

Not having to worry too much about weapon prof is a bonus.