Everything posted by BruceVC
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
Oh I must clarify that colonization comment, I absolutely accept the role the UK played as a Colonial power but I dont feel guilty about what my ancestors did. The UK for example has done much more good than bad in the world and thats what matters So I can share something with you that I have learnt that has allowed me to understand and rationalize many of the issues and expectations from black South Africans. This understanding I have gained has been critical in allowing me to be part of the new SA without taking things personally. Now what I have come to realize is many of you guys in the USA are grappling with these same issues,many people on this forum who live in the USA have expressed degrees of frustration or depression about where they perceive the USA is going Now just to be clear I have never mentioned this before because I thought this was uniquely a South African\African problem and until recently most people on this forum didnt appear interested in having this type of debate Now before I go into detail I need to clarify one or two things about who this applies to, let me know if this is applicable to you You are a white person who feels you are getting blamed for certain social and or political events that you have no influence over You feel there is a degree of double standards from minorities and how they blame certain events on You are really uncertain and worried about the future Also I dont mean to pick on certain members but if you want to have this debate in good faith you cannot have a posting etiquette like volo when we discuss certain issue, I always try to respond to him but his comments are irrational and illogical LK, its impossible to tell him anything because he has convinced himself his long posts are reflections of reality. This is not LK fault but its a symptom of someone who has basically spend too much time engaging people on the Internet and has forgotten normal human interaction Also this is not about intelligence, so don't think I am suggesting I think I am cleverer than you guys. This is just about an important insight into some global and local trends that I have noticed are common in most Western countries like the USA So if you want to have this debate do you mind just summarizing how you feel about the current state of the USA...be honest there is no right or wrong response
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
Bruce please trust me. You will fail. Just on the basis of you being white and representing white people mentality. Try not to listen what they are saying but what they mean by it. If you want to reach them you need to encourage black SA to oppose their view, but they cannot just emulate white mentality and argumentation. They need to approach those guys with black mentality and their argumentation need to come from their roots and culture. Its an interesting question you have asked, no one has ever asked me that before on these forums So my commitment to the new South Africa is complicated to explain but just to answer your question. The objective really is for everyone to finish grade 12 and then get a degree or equivalent certification so they can work in corporate and the private sector ....but only about 20 % of all black students get to this point Most black students drop out and never complete university but I cant help them. The reasons for this failure is varied but I cant help them. There is a distinction, its not a big deal outside SA but matters to me Boer\Afrikaans people are white South Africans but I'm English. The architects of Apartheid were all Afrikaans ....as an English South African we did other things like Colonialism but I am not taking blame for Apartheid
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
Examples?
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
Just because an African American says " Trump should get elected " that doesnt mean he is right but I watched that criticism of Obama and it is unfounded and based on this false narrative that some people assumed just because Obama is black he would only be concerned with the issues of AA Its like when he first came on a tour to Africa and made his famous speech which wasnt well received by some African leaders because some African dictators assumed Obama would be nice to them because they black http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/12/world/africa/12prexy.html?_r=0
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
Its funny because your general view of " We need something new, because the old and what we have presently isn't cutting it " it is something many people throughout the world believe but the truth is the system doesnt mean to be destroyed, that wouldnt help We just need to make some structural changes to be more ....inclusive? You right, I didnt explain the relevance to this thread I wanted to say at the moment there are several global populist movements in most countries. What is relevant to all of us who live in Western countries is these populist movements are something that manifests itself in our countries in different forms and creates degrees of chaos, anxiety and sometimes depression or concern for the future What I wanted to highlight is this whole USA election and the general levels of frustration from many of US forum friends is understandable ....but imagine living in SA, you have people believing you can recreate science in an African prism because the current education system isnt designed with an African consideration and doesn't represent " South African values " Its nonsense of course Uh, branding every emerging movement as populist will bite you in the ass in the long. Putting the arise with Duterte in the Philippines with South African blacks claiming that witchdoctor ju-ju belongs in the university curriculum is superficial at best. Well if you can name just one populist movement that we have seen in the last 10 years and has made a meaningful difference to the world and should have been implemented in some way please let me know? Im not automatically anti-populist movements its just they all seem to lack depth or actual substantive ways to makw them viable...they normally about emotions?
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
You right, I didnt explain the relevance to this thread I wanted to say at the moment there are several global populist movements in most countries. What is relevant to all of us who live in Western countries is these populist movements are something that manifests itself in our countries in different forms and creates degrees of chaos, anxiety and sometimes depression or concern for the future What I wanted to highlight is this whole USA election and the general levels of frustration from many of US forum friends is understandable ....but imagine living in SA, you have people believing you can recreate science in an African prism because the current education system isnt designed with an African consideration and doesn't represent " South African values " Its nonsense of course
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
Ok. I understand that not all SA students think that gravity was invented and forced upon them by colonists. But the question is how many students oppose that view? Minority/majority? It's like saying "don't worry not all of this dishes are poisoned". I would like some specifics. And while there is a ritual for smiting an lightning on to a person, Svarog requires at least three blood sacrifices so its highly inneficient. It is a valid question because what if that perspective represented what all black students thought....the country would be doomed No that type of " anti-white"..." anti-European " perspective represents about 20 % of the students. Its normal in SA, I debate people who think that everyday You cant get annoyed if you live here by that type of event....if you did you may be annoyed all the time
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
All power to them, decolonise whole Africa I say! You cant decolonize Africa because it is already decolonized This " idea " is unique to SA and only groups of protesting students believe it.
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e2lq4QpQXw This video is going to shock many people, normally I wouldn't post such a video as it creates a bad impression of South Africa and the level of insight some University students have ...please understand this is not what all students think but we have militant and disruptive student movements in SA and one of there " objectives " is the decolonisation of Universities ...they also think they can adopt core university subjects to an "African " view. Its a well meaning but utterly misplaced movement ...this video shows how bad it can get
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
Do you mind sharing the reasons? Have you not been reading these last nine threads??? People change there minds, there are a myriad of different views around who to vote for
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
Do you mind sharing the reasons?
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
Well done Who did you vote for?
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
Agreed, the basket of deplorables are people too. I never argued for the deportation of deplorables. What would you want to do with them without turning the situation into a violent one? Install economic policies that actually help with their living situation? Poor rural white people have been shat on by both parties for a long time; no wonder they're growing angry and desperate. Give them someone else than racist buffoons who upholds their interests and whom they can see as a credible representative of themselves, and maybe their support for racist buffoons will dwindle. " " Trump: Tribune Of Poor White People " Classic
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
Actually, i think that you like Trump quite a lot in a bad-boy kind of a way. Can I be honest, do you want to know the main reasons I dislike Trump?
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
[citation needed] Booooring! Give a counter-argument instead. I can definitely see the merit of the argument that a conservative movement which uses coded language to pander to bigots and socio-economic policies that just so happen to have a disproportionately negative impact on people of color would probably garner the support of the far-right and racist crowd, thus preventing them from becoming a force of their own. The problem is that this isn't as much stifling the rise of said movements as it is legitimizing them. Much better! But perhaps as you have noticed, despite living inside Orban's Wall, that the forces at bay are much larger than stormtroopers seeking legitimacy but rather large squats of people becoming disenfranschised from the very society that they are a bulk of. Just look at the rise of Swedish Democrats in Sweden and many others; such things do not simply happen in vacuum. Compartmentalizing them into the same group as the real ant-democratic ones will just add further fuel to the fire, instead of reaching out to the underlying issues with empathy, where i think paleo-conservatism is one of many ways to do so. I am afraid that Trump is the olive branch concerning the circumstances. The pendelum is swinging and as some famous guy said: "if you make peaceful revolution impossible, you will make a violent one inevitable". I care little to differentiate between people who personally want to get rid of "undesirables" and those who merely wish others would do that for them. Guys this is another post I hope everyone reads and absorbs...ruminate on it in your own time and personal space It begs an important question we all should answer at one point or another if we want to have a candid debate about this election and our tacit or open support of someone like Trump ....that question is " why do I really like Trump " ?
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
[citation needed] Booooring! Give a counter-argument instead. I can definitely see the merit of the argument that a conservative movement which uses coded language to pander to bigots and socio-economic policies that just so happen to have a disproportionately negative impact on people of color would probably garner the support of the far-right and racist crowd, thus preventing them from becoming a force of their own. The problem is that this isn't as much stifling the rise of said movements as it is legitimizing them. Much better! But perhaps as you have noticed, despite living inside Orban's Wall, that the forces at bay are much larger than stormtroopers seeking legitimacy but rather large squats of people becoming disenfranschised from the very society that they are a bulk of. Just look at the rise of Swedish Democrats in Sweden and many others; such things do not simply happen in vacuum. Compartmentalizing them into the same group as the real ant-democratic ones will just add further fuel to the fire, instead of reaching out to the underlying issues with empathy, where i think paleo-conservatism is one of many ways to do so. I am afraid that Trump is the olive branch concerning the circumstances. The pendelum is swinging and as some famous guy said: "if you make peaceful revolution impossible, you will make a violent one inevitable". Trump is an embarrassment and disgrace to the whole concept of " I'll save the USA\White Men ( not White women, its White men Trump will save )....dont believe anything he says
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
KP dont get bogged down by all these pseudo-social and political movements that redefine there names, its a form of aberrant political nomenclature ....most people have never heard of " Paleocons ", "sociocons " or all these other modern and ultimately redundant movements that use "cons " in there description The world is not as bad as you think, the global financial sector has learnt important lessons since 2008, the West still offers people the best quality of life and real happiness....and NO....Trump won win the election. After last night he could have almost inconceivably somehow changed public perception ...but he didnt and he is done Can we dance a little
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
There, fixed it for ya. QFT I just wish I did find Trumps controversial comments entertaining, I just find much of what he says as concerning
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
Yeah because dismissing a legitimate election result within an established Democratic system should only concern " moral busybodies " Time to face facts my captious friend....Trump is going to lose the election
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-makes-history-declining-022705054.html Trump is still saying he may not accept the final November 2016 presidential results .....its an appalling and disgraceful attitude to have and again this is an attack of one of the most important foundations of what the US stands for, the principle and legitimacy of the Democratic process To quote him from the debate "Moderator Chris Wallace asked Donald Trump directly if he would accept the results, owing to Trump’s recent rhetoric the election is rigged. Wallace noted Trump’s running mate Mike Pence, and his daughter Ivanka, both said they absolutely would accept the results of this election. “I will look at it at the time,” Trump said. “What I have seen is so bad. First of all, the media is so dishonest and corrupt and the pile-on is amazing.” The media, he said, has “poisoned the mind of voters.”
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
I find the actual analysis of the debate more interesting and insightful than the actual debates According to the latest CNN/ORC poll numbers Hilary won 52 % to 39 % http://edition.cnn.com/election Yes I know people like LK and some Trump supporters dismiss the poll results " who can trusts polls " ....or " the media controls the polls, I get my information from Reddit..its unbiased " But for most of this these types of numbers matter....this final debate should signal victory for Hilary in the US elections
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
I would rather work in a committee, have like minded people who share a common vision of a prosperous and happy society
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
When cheering for those in power, is it the only time when it you feel like you are part of something larger than you? Making history? Finding meaning or purpose? Just curious. I support a certain ideology like we all do. And what an ideology it is! Suppression of free speech and independent thought. Confiscation of private property. Mandatory gender-reassignment surgery for male misogynists! That will show them! And if it doesn't at least the earnest SJW's dating prospects will have improved! I kid of course! In all seriousness though Bruce you are railing against bad acts in a race where there is nothing but bad actors. You just have to learn to say f--k it. You make me laugh sometimes
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
I think I will watch the final debate live tonight, its 3 am SA time I do think it will be worth it
-
The US Election 2016, Part IX
When cheering for those in power, is it the only time when it you feel like you are part of something larger than you? Making history? Finding meaning or purpose? Just curious. I support a certain ideology like we all do. Assange is a parasite and a very divisive personality who has a personal grudge against the West and particularly the USA Of course I feel like Im part of something greater when someone like Assange is unable to continue his cyber attacks on the USA, one less source of propaganda to worry about And the current administration doesn't do cyber attacks and indulge in propaganda? What is the difference? Define " indulge in propaganda ", you need to be specific and give examples ? You mean something that you can just enter in wikipedia so you can discern on what propaganda you find acceptable? Not going that route, sonny. Again, if that's the only reason for cheering for those in power, then "why?" if they are doing the very same thing as you claim Assange to do. All countries use a degree of propaganda but Assange isn't a country, he isn't a president ....he isn't much actually Assange quite simply represents a group of people that are opposed to the West and of course the USA and they seek to undermine the West whenever opportunity presents itself. HIs usage of propaganda surely cant be seen the same as when a country uses it ?