Everything posted by alanschu
-
What you did today
Just be careful. I was once in pretty much the exact same situation as you, and A, B, C, and D all applied to me as well, and I got absolutely scorched because of it. My situation had some differences (she didn't explicitly leave him for me, and it was sometime later - it was super awkward for a long while because I had basically told her she had to choose), but she totally recognized that I still cared for her and ended up taking advantage of that. To add insult to injury, despite being so adamantly sure that C applied to her, I found out it didn't. Turns out, she ended up leaving her husband because she ended up hooking up with a 3rd guy (and in retrospect, I see that she did with the third guy the exact same sequence of events she did with me), lied about it incessantly to me (which I ate up because I thought she was starting to reciprocate). In the end, I ended up becoming the "shoulder to cry on" for her for TWO different guys, one of them obvious and the other one because I was safe and familiar and she was too scared to be honest with me. It ended up exploding when someone had casually brought up that she had plans to go to film school with 3rd guy and I got pissy. To pour salt on the wounds further 3rd guy and I were casual friends (through the girl), and since he was oblivious he tried being all chummy with me after there was a bit of a rift. I tried being the "good guy" until finally I had had enough, told him I found it awkward that he was suddenly trying to be all buddy buddy with me when he never was, spilled the beans about my history with the girl and I haven't seen either of them ever since (and both are firmly in the "I don't care if they happen to be dead in a ditch" category. The way she behaved also moved her into "a bullet I dodged" too). So yeah, be careful. I'd recommend taking it slooooooooooooooooooooow and maybe even "just wait" for some time. You have the unfortunate prospect of being "rebound guy" at the moment, which is certainly not guaranteed to end in badness, but if I were in your shoes I'd make sure to not be a crutch for her and to make sure she's firmly grounded on her own two feet before pushing things too far too quickly. I ended up letting myself become a doormat, and while it was a useful learning experience and I'm much wiser (and ironically more confident) about the whole thing now, it ****ing hurt a lot when it happened. Like, more than my brother dying in a motorcycle accident when I was 13 which for a decade was easily the worst thing that had happened in my life. Regardless, I do hope it works out for you and that things turn out well for you. Good luck!
-
Torment: Tides of Numenera
A mere $20 for me! /cheapskate
-
Pictures of your games part 2
Not a picture of my game, but I lol'd https://twitter.com/SmoshGames/status/320325072646721536/photo/1
-
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Old or not, it's still true. And half the WL2 team have finished their part of the job, so without Torment they'd have nothing to do for the next half a year. Err, I don't think that's related to the stretch goal aspects.
-
Obsidian currently working on next-gen console title
A UI will need continual improvement over the course of development in general.
-
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Depends. I mean, if the contributors are all happy (since I think the assumption is that anyone getting the game as a result of contributing will not be buying the game after release), doing a Kickstarter to do a sequel seems fine to me. In the Rock Paper Shotgun interview, Feargus actually mentions that it's interesting to do more risky things, but with game development you have two aspects that contribute to risk: the size of the budget, and the types of ideas. To do riskier ideas, he doesn't think a $2 million Kickstarter type of project would garner as much success, and that doing a riskier idea would require a healthy dose of moderation and have "very reasonable expectations." I agree with this sentiment, and it's part of the reason why indie game studios are so valuable.
-
Torment: Tides of Numenera
My only concern is for those (for all kickstarters) that literally mention that they'll have to sacrifice other parts of their life for that month because money will be so tight, because they wanted to contribute $200+. On the one hand, buyer beware, but if these games aren't as awesome as we'd like them to be....
- The NHL Thread.
-
Torment: Tides of Numenera
We'll just have to make sure that Project: Eternity 2 (assuming it goes the crowdfunding route) breaks Torment: Tides of Numenera's record. And the record has been broken. /pops open beer Well, Feargus has been pretty open on not wanting to use Kickstarter again if it can be avoided, so if all goes well we won't be having another Obsidian Kickstarter.
- The NHL Thread.
-
RPS Chris Avellone Interview
Excited that he's a fan of The Walking Dead and would love to do something more like that!
-
The Kickstarter Thread
I actually hadn't seen that thread. The D&D overtones are a barrier to me contributing at this point.
-
Might & Magic X Teased by Ubisoft, To Be Revealed at PAX East
Never underestimate how many demos are smoke and mirrors since the game is not finished yet. It's possible your concern is accurate, but it's also possible that there's reasons for not showing walking on grass (bugs, lack of implementation of some feature, etc.). Could also just be pure ol' coincidence.
-
The Kickstarter Thread
Hmmmm, the discussions on the forum for Worlds of Magic are giving me a bigger D&D vibe than MOM vibe. Talk of classes, whether wizards need familiars, wizard units will be like d20 wizard units, and the like, classes/alignment, and so forth. This one is likely shaping up to be a pass at this point, unfortunately. I have no problems with d20 as combat mechanics, but if I'm getting all the D&D baggage with it, I have serious reservations about it undermining the "MOM" feeling
-
Torment: Tides of Numenera
That may be, but those types of things can often get cheaper to make per unit, with larger orders.
-
Disney shuts down Lucas Arts
As someone that doesn't really deal with the expanded universe outside of games, I am confused as to why this is an issue? It's not like it takes away from the enjoyment you had reading those. I still enjoy Jedi Knight even if ultimately Kyle Katarn isn't "real."
-
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Eh, is that because of the tiers, or is it a fairly standard late rush? I'm just saying I found the tiers and monetization aspects to be confusing compared to other KS, though ultimately not applicable to me since I just went for the "really early preorder" variety.
-
Torment: Tides of Numenera
I found the tiers to be overwhelming. Especially with the "top up" types of things you can also do. Fortunately my contribution is decidedly baseline to begin with so it wasn't really that applicable to me.
-
Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter
Yup. Easier for it to be a constant trickle when you don't start with a huge spike. No sense waiting until then if this is something you want to prop up, IMO.
-
The Kickstarter Thread
Although I have the combat music stuck in my head.... XD
-
Eidos Montreal working on Thief 4?
I'm hopeful about every game too. Because I want more good games. Why shouldn't one be hopeful? By the time the game gets released, it'll probably not be on my RADAR at all (like most games are I find). But it's easy to be hopeful for games in development because one's imagination can fill in the blanks on what potential may lay there. Once a game is released, potential is no longer relevant.
-
The Kickstarter Thread
Magicians were different than Warlocks (I don't think Wizards was actually a unit variation). Warlocks had more powerful ranged attack and Doombolt instead of Fireball (They were effectively a "unique unit" for Dark Elves). That's a meaningful difference and deserves a unique name.
-
The Kickstarter Thread
Hmmm. Not sure if I agree with the course of some of the discussions haha. Saw one that was pretty much about giving factions unique flavour names for the same units. At the same time, that does help obfuscate the issue (Oh they have bowmen instead of archers. Oh wait, they're the same?)
- The NHL Thread.
-
The Kickstarter Thread
I'm still debating contributing. Unfortunately I don't have much knowledge with their games. They have a lot of WW2 games (which has piqued my interest in them), though by the sounds of it the games tend to be not as deep as I would probably like (hello War in the Pacific!). though MOM isn't an excessively deep/complex game either. I might check out their forums a bit.