Mass Effect (4) Musings

I didn't get to the Tuchanka section myself (I ragequit during the second dream sequence), but I have watched a let's play right to the end. I'm not sure I can agree that it was a good sequence, in that in ME2, the equivalent decision seemed to be handled fairly evenhandedly. In ME3, the writers seem to be strongly suggesting that one solution is the 'good' one. That kind of heavy-handedness is one that seems to define ME3's writing in my eyes.

I did not say it was beyond criticism.

I do say that it was a peak of competence. 

That said, while I do like writing which does not obviously favor one outcome as the "good" one, I am not categorically against it either. Going after the "good" outcomes is a powerful motivator, which gets diluted if all of them are equally "good" (or "bad" for that matter). I would like to see both. And I think Tuchanka specifically was kind of asking for such a "good" ending.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

It was good to kill Mordin.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I didn't get to the Tuchanka section myself (I ragequit during the second dream sequence), but I have watched a let's play right to the end. I'm not sure I can agree that it was a good sequence, in that in ME2, the equivalent decision seemed to be handled fairly evenhandedly. In ME3, the writers seem to be strongly suggesting that one solution is the 'good' one. That kind of heavy-handedness is one that seems to define ME3's writing in my eyes.

The thing about Tuchanka was it really did vary depending on previous choices. If Wrex had been killed earlier, the Krogan leader is a major league ****. So if that's the situation you find yourself in (along with a  couple of other minor choices you might have made before), then it becomes a much different question.

If however, you had managed to create a universe with Wrex and Grunt being loyal, and managed to go through certain areas, you had a lot more trust in Krogan leadership that was much more adaptable and willing to co-exist.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."