Concurrent Debuffs Not Stacking - Ranger Abilities

error3

Question

With multiple Rangers in the party, some same-type debuffs do not stack properly on targets.

The Ranger ability "Marked Prey" grants an accuracy bonus when attacking the target for the character (and their pet) who applied it, but when another character casts an additional "Marked Prey" on the target only 1 of the 2 will remain on the target, meaning only 1 of the 2 characters can gain the bonus at a time.

This would be an understandable balancing measure if the Mark granted the bonus to the entire party, or even to all Rangers, but since it only applies to the caster then both casters should be able to get their personal benefit from the skill.

Is it intentional that only 1 ranger can gain an accuracy bonus on a target at a time?

If intentional, this seems arbitrarily restrictive. Why can't both of my Rangers mark a target and each enjoy the accuracy bonus?

The Ranger ability "Wounding Shot" suffers from the same problem. If 2 Ranger's each shoot a target with Wounding Shot, only the longer-duration debuff will remain on the target. I'm not even sure if the remaining damage is considered, in the case that one character is more-powerful, or if only the duration is considered.

Once again, this seems arbitrarily restrictive. It's understandable for a single character to refresh their own DoT on a target, but a separate character should be able to use their abilities too without just overwriting the other DoT.

I'd love to see these measures lifted so that running multiple Rangers won't be penalized.

Thanks

6 answers to this question

Applied non-permanent things like this are intended to not stack. It's the same for your own party, same name effects don't stack. Or effects that give the same effect, don't stack.

So while I find the Marked Prey a little weird too, it appears to be working as intended.

A more in-depth explanation:

If a buff/debuff does the same thing as something already on the target, the longer lasting/more powerful one takes precedent. If you have 2 auras that give your party an Armor bonus only the stronger one will apply if you are in range to receive both. The way it worked in the previous game, it broke the buff/debuff down by line; for instance, if you had an Armor and Heal regen buff, and an Armor Move speed buff, only the Armor portion would be over-ridden. So you would get one armor buff, the heal buff and the move speed.

Whether it works AT ALL in this game is up in the air, considering the massive amount of bugs.

Unless their is a technical limitation, Marked Prey should be an exception to this rule.

Having multiple Marked Prey debuffs isn't even a stacking affect as it only benefits the caster.

It's just a continuation of the "Same things can't apply", and I am in no way surprised it works this way currently. I agree it shouldn't work that way, but still not surprised.

Have you not seen the thousands of other bugs they let the game ship with?

I agree that it needs to be changed.

It is frustrating running multiple rangers where you are forced to have them mark different targets (since it doesn't stack on one).  Then, since the "Hostile Effects" UI on the enemy doesn't indicate who caused the debuff, it gets confusing which "Marked Prey" belongs to which ranger (and pet) to properly utilize its benefit through a long fight where you need to frequently change targets.

• Like 1

As a workaround, you can have both "Marked Prey" and its upgrade "Marked for the Hunt" on the same target from 2 different Rangers.

This isn't ideal as one would probably want to just use the upgraded version for both, but if you run 2 Rangers they can at least both get their accuracy on targets.

This works even better with buffs/debuffs that have a split upgrade.

For example, you can stack "Wounding Shot" and its 2 upgrades all on the same target if you have 3 rangers. I was really excited when I realized this as it made my triple Ranger party stronger.

In light of this, it makes the same-name debuff restriction seem arbitrary and silly.

Edited by error3