Politics' Official Eighteenth Thread

Amentep

Heh, compared to the current state of affairs, it's easy to have your perspective warped to the point of thinking the previous administration was perfect. It doesn't help any of us to not remember clearly, though - to not do so just means things will become more and more far-gone as our standards for normalcy and "rightness" get lower and lower.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Meanwhile, Trump is doing to the GOP what Obama did to the Dems. https://www.axios.com/trumps-500-day-coup-of-the-gop-conservatism-5f1f129d-22c3-4f53-b9f1-d957eb1ef05c.html It doesn't exactly mirror it as it's still in the relatively early stages (compared to Obamas two terms), but it's the same thing as Obama not being a party builder, at least not of the Dems and Republicans, respectively.

"Oh, don’t forget: He has 962 days left in this term."

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

"Oh, don’t forget: He has 962 days left in this term."

Yep. 962 days until we trade one moronic big government miscreant for another one. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

oi! I heard they are going to ban knifes in UK :facepalm:

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

can't get worse than Trump right guise

Would you rather be bitten by a snake or stung by a scorpion? Eaten by an alligator or a crocodile? When all the choices are bad does it really matter which bad choice is made? I used to think it did matter. Now I know better. Democrat, Republican, Democrat, Republican, on and on it goes. But no matter who wins the government gets bigger, the deficit climbs towards eventual collapse, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer, everyone becomes less free, and the bombs never stop falling overseas.

It does not have to be this way. But it will be until people realize there are options beyond the one we have now. Yes... one

republicans+democrats+you.jpg

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

But no matter who wins the government gets bigger, the deficit climbs towards eventual collapse, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer, everyone becomes less free, and the bombs never stop falling overseas.

It does not have to be this way. But it will be until people realize there are options beyond the one we have now. Yes... one

A melancholic  assessment of the state of US  politics my friend  ....pass the razor blades   ;)

But under Obama the USA , apart from understandable drone strikes, tried very hard to stay out of the ME and other geographical hot spots of political and social instability

But Trump has brought the USA back into the interminable struggles of the ME, thats on him  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

But no matter who wins the government gets bigger, the deficit climbs towards eventual collapse, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer, everyone becomes less free, and the bombs never stop falling overseas.

A melancholic  assessment of the state of US  politics my friend  ....pass the razor blades   ;)

But under Obama the USA , apart from understandable drone strikes, tried very hard to stay out of the ME and other geographical hot spots of political and social instability

But Trump has brought the USA back into the interminable struggles of the ME, thats on him  :geek:

No, Obama is 100% responsible for our involvement in Libya, Syria (not the mess, just our involvement in it), Yemen, and several African countries.

As you my melancholic assessment: "When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion — when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing — when you see money flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors — when you see that men get richer by graft and pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you — when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice — you may know that your society is doomed"

Thomas Sowell

Speaking of Trump, here is a new little nugget: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/04/trump-i-have-the-absolute-right-to-pardon-myself.html

All I can think of is:

1oxki1.jpg

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I find amusing how so many still don't understand that Trump is really different from everything that came before. Just his attitude towards trade, for instance, has clear potential to tank the country's economy in a way that would make the sub prime crisis look like a walk in the park.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Speaking of Trump, here is a new little nugget: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/04/trump-i-have-the-absolute-right-to-pardon-myself.html

All I can think of is:

1oxki1.jpg

Is that Nixon? Not sure who.

Anyways, theres nothing in the Constitution that says he can't pardon himself, just that it won't stop impeachment from happening. So, he could, but it'd look massively guilty as the only reason he'd pardon himself is to attempt to be above the law and it makes it look a hell of a lot like he's guilty of something and trying to hide. Not to mention the political firestorm that would ensue.

As you my melancholic assessment: "When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion — when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing — when you see money flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors — when you see that men get richer by graft and pull than by work, and your laws don’t protect you against them, but protect them against you — when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice — you may know that your society is doomed"

Classy.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

No, Obama is 100% responsible for our involvement in Libya, Syria (not the mess, just our involvement in it), Yemen, and several African countries.

Libya, Syria and Yemen are conflicts caused by the Arab Spring and the horrific civil wars we now see are a symptom of the leaders of these countries refusing to be more inclusive of there own citizens in economic  and political transformation 

The USA was involved after the Arab Spring started, the Arab Spring was not caused by the USA

https://www.theguardian.com/world/interactive/2011/mar/22/middle-east-protest-interactive-timeline

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Arab_Spring

I would strongly suggest no one in the USA  accepts responsibility for the Arab Spring but of course if you do you are absolving the appalling dictatorships and lack of human rights that exist, and use to exist in the ME,  and this needs to be addressed by the ME  leaders 

What African countries is the USA  responsible for causing wars or bombing in the last 20 years ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I find amusing how so many still don't understand that Trump is really different from everything that came before. Just his attitude towards trade, for instance, has clear potential to tank the country's economy in a way that would make the sub prime crisis look like a walk in the park.

Just an FYI on trade, the President does NOT have the constitutional power to impose tariffs. Congress does. The power to do that was given to the Executive by Congress with two laws. One during WWI that allowed the President to use tariffs as a incentive to nations doing business with an enemy of the US during war with that enemy. Then in 1977 another law was passed that extended that privileged to peace time to respond to a "national emergency".

Since the President only has that ability at the sufferance of the Congress the Congress can take it back at any time. Small chance of that happening however. Right now it's controlled by Republicans who won't screw their own President (probably). But even if the Democrats take over they won't because someday a Democrat will be President. Maybe even one of them. And they will want that power.

For me this is an object lesson in giving the President, or any part of any government a power they should not have. Someday a man like Trump was going to get elected. It was inevitable.

Thomas Sowell

Classy.

Do you think any of that is wrong?

Thomas Sowell

Yes...the difference, I feel, is that past administrations were, for the most part, rational actors. Not always on every issue, and just because they were rational doesn't mean they were kind or just or lawful (just the opposite in many cases!). There are some benefits to having a federal government that's acting like a chicken with its head cut off (there's not much permanent legislation going through, for example - that's both good and bad in different ways), but there are consequences as well (these executive "czars", Trump included, are massively empowered in acting policy in the face of legislative standstill, just as it was the case under Obama - for better and for worse under him, and I would personally say almost entirely for the worse under Trump, but I'm sure people have their own opinions on that). These past three presidents (in all their own ways, starting with Bush and including Obama but now especially Trump), have really proved that we need to reign in the executive branch something fierce...but uh, Congress collectively has shown no interest in doing that, and in fact has pretty much encouraged the opposite...so screw us, I guess?

• Like 1

@BruceVC: I thought the Yemen conflict dated back to before the Arab Spring since it was simmering before that.

In its current state, 2015. But if you at the reasons for this long conflict in Yemen how is the USA  responsible, it has nothing to do with the USA but rather Islamic extremism and the ancient Shia/Sunni animosity 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemeni_Civil_War_(2015%E2%80%93present)

John Milton 

Just an FYI on trade, the President does NOT have the constitutional power to impose tariffs. Congress does. The power to do that was given to the Executive by Congress with two laws. One during WWI that allowed the President to use tariffs as a incentive to nations doing business with an enemy of the US during war with that enemy. Then in 1977 another law was passed that extended that privileged to peace time to respond to a "national emergency".

Since the President only has that ability at the sufferance of the Congress the Congress can take it back at any time. Small chance of that happening however. Right now it's controlled by Republicans who won't screw their own President (probably). But even if the Democrats take over they won't because someday a Democrat will be President. Maybe even one of them. And they will want that power.

For me this is an object lesson in giving the President, or any part of any government a power they should not have. Someday a man like Trump was going to get elected. It was inevitable.

I thought I'd read/heard that law was made in 1967 (or so)? Might be wrong, but tiny unimportant detail there anyway.

And yes, he's using the whole 'national security' excuse for completely BS reasons.

I recall something about the WTO having a similar thing (or maybe I'm thinking of the same law you're talking about GD) where 'national security' can be used as a reason to unilaterally put tariffs or something like that. However, the reason that nobody has used the 'national security' excuse is precedent. The precedent is that if we go and use the 'national security' reason, no matter how BS it is, ESPECIALLY if it's a BS reason, to bypass the WTO, then that opens the door for other countries to go and use the same excuse to unilaterally put their own tariffs on us or other countries.

@BruceVC: I thought the Yemen conflict dated back to before the Arab Spring since it was simmering before that.

In its current state, 2015. But if you at the reasons for this long conflict in Yemen how is the USA  responsible, it has nothing to do with the USA but rather Islamic extremism and the ancient Shia/Sunni animosity 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yemeni_Civil_War_(2015%E2%80%93present)

I never said it had anything to do with the US, just that I thought it was just the latest phase in a long simmering conflict.

Edited by smjjames

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/05/politics/supreme-court-masterpiece-cakeshop/index.html

I see the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of the baker, Im disappointed   :down:  

John Milton 

It was a bipartisan decision, and it was made with pretty good reasoning. It is a limited ruling that doesn't set precedent due to issues with this specific case. While this baker wins, the issue has more or less been punted down the road.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Remember Bruce, the issue wasn't that he would not serve a gay couple. The issue was he would not make a specific kind of cake for them. Had they asked for anything else he said he would have done it.

Let me ask you a question. If a painter were a religious person and refused to make a painting of the devil screwing the virgin mary would you tell him he had to do it?

If the cake were prepared and ready and he refused to sell it to them: problem. If he refused to sell to them at all: problem. If he refused to create a custom cake that violates his own ethics: no problem.

And the court had it at 7-2. That is not close. Especially in this court.

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

The article (and the SCOTUS statement) also makes note of the fact that the commission was pretty hostile towards the baker, which infuriated Justice Kennedy.

I can see a religious painter making their own choice (as opposed to a commission) to make a painting of the devil sodomizing the virgin mary to be satirical or make some kind of point because, well, art.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 2