Companions quest should "change" them.

So, this is just something i thought yesterday as i went thought some companions quests.

I have no problem with the quests themselves, i'm fine with the short duration and the apparent "lack of conclusion" i think that what's life's like and (most) histories have no satisfactory conclusions. (On the same note, I enjoyed Edér's quest from the first game)

That aside, i DO think that the RESULTS of the quests are kind of lackluster and i was wondering why.

*I may address some spoilers in the way, so be warned!*

My take on this is: the companions show no change after the quests AT ALL. Even when quests signal those changes they are only TOLD to the player, you never EXPERIENCE they afterwards. 

Maybe Xoti has stopped having nightmares But she's still a HUGE Gaunt fanatic and intolerant with anti-religious comments, even though one of the endings for her quest would suggest some changes on this aspect. I mean, if she gave the souls to the Animancers maybe she could be more tolerant with Pellagina's anti-religious comments, or Pellagina's herself could be more respectful with Xoti's doings, OR she could start being an pro animancer person

So, my suggestion is: Some little changes on the companion subjective stats (dispositions, relationships, etc) after the quest, taking into account what ending the companion achieved. 

Maybe the companion change some of their disposition values (stop being lighthearted, beginning pitying their situation, stop praising themselves, etc), make some OTHER party NPC more close (or more distant) from them or AT LEAST influence their relationship in some degree.

That way you cold make those quests more Impactful to the player without the need to rewrite them at all.

I do realize that some changes maybe go wrong with the banter between some NPC, but i guess this can be tuned in some ways so it doesn't get all strange. Either way i still think that this would benefit the accomplishment the player gets from these quests, since it would make you feel like you made some difference on their lives or AT LEAST you were part of an really important and decisive moment in their history.

Sorry for my bad grammar, btw, English is not my first language  :geek:

Edit:

Another thing pointed by @CENIC and @Wormerine is that the changes should be tied TO THE QUEST AND THE RESULTS from it, not some arbitrary changes made by the player to make the companions get along nice, like some brainwash bull**** haha 

Edited by El Kabong
  • Like 1

I'm torn here.

I want to romance Aloth but I have the "Clever" disposition, which I think is making it close to impossible for me to gain his approval.

But at the same time, changing Aloth's personality JUST so that I can get in his pants feels wrong. He's written and designed to behave the way he does and react to different dispositions. Just because it doesn't work out for me the way I want it to, does that mean I have the right to change him?

• Like 1

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

I think it would be cool, if such quests would support the change - maybe convince a companion that their faction isn’t ideal etc. At the same time those changes seem to go beyond what character development I saw so far. I finished Xoti and Serafim’s “vision quests” but they didnt really change them as characters. Xoti got upgated lantern out of it - and Serafim got a new gun.

This should've been posted in the SPOILER section lol 

But I agree though . Some peoples pointed out how some companion will *Spoiler* . You can argue that you and them couldn't know about *Spoiler* . 

But usually , in every game I played . Doing personal quest change them somehow for better or worse . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I'm torn here.

I want to romance Aloth but I have the "Clever" disposition, which I think is making it close to impossible for me to gain his approval.

But at the same time, changing Aloth's personality JUST so that I can get in his pants feels wrong. He's written and designed to behave the way he does and react to different dispositions. Just because it doesn't work out for me the way I want it to, does that mean I have the right to change him?

Completely agree!

I feel that the changes should reflect the quest itself, not some arbitrary choice made by the player. Maybe i express myself in a wrong way, or left this detail from my idea too vague. gonna edit on the original post! Thanks!

Edit:

This should've been posted in the SPOILER section lol 

But I agree though . Some peoples pointed out how some companion will *Spoiler* . You can argue that you and them couldn't know about *Spoiler* . 

But usually , in every game I played . Doing personal quest change them somehow for better or worse . 

Sorry! Can some mod change it to the correct forum?

Edited by El Kabong

The entire relationship system is screwed right now:

1. I've never gotten a single relationship change with Pallegina or Maia, despite using them since I got them like 20 hours ago.

2. Romance is just an "I like you" until you get to the point of sticking your bits in each other, then NOTHING changes about the relationship going forward.

3. Many of the triggers aren't working right, like some people have problems with being able to romance Maia immediately, then she breaks up with you cause you have no relationship points.

It's just ANOTHER of the buggy messes in this game. I keep having to tell my friends not to play for the next few months, so they might be able to enjoy it. You know, after it's out of beta.