Combat mechancis - Enemies push through front-line fighers, Pathfinding, engagement mechanics

Farsha

Question

Hello,

Having some issues with current combat mechanics in current beta build

A) In some cases enemies decide that they want engage my back line and they seem to be able to push through or push aside my frontline roadblock characters and just get where ever they want. Enemies should not be able to push around your characters they should always get stuck on them when enter their melee range when your char has free engagements slots. And if you don't have free engagement slots they'll have to go around not push out out of position.

B) Push aside mechanic is nice for friendlies but must be acompanied by smart pathfinding,  there are cases where you don't want your squishy character to go through and push tank aside or get in between tank and enemy. Pathfinding should kick in if spot is free next to tank and char should go stand there, no push your tank aside and put him out of position. I know this can be avoided by carefull micro. But honestly from what I've seen so far even POE1 with no pass through push was better mechanic than what is in game now. Maybe add toggle button to make specific char immovable or to turn the mechanic off.

C) there are cases where enemies ignore engagement or engagement cannot be established for some reason (even though it should) this is part of why A is happening. There also seem to be abilites that seem to sometimes cancel engagement (mule kick).
For example on quite a few ocasions I had enemy caster all of suden ignore my rogue get from his engagement and run forward to cast some close range spell to the front line. I catch up with him (sometimes even with differen melee char) but I cannot engage him, all attack and skills against him miss and he runs off and casts his spell.

Egagement and movement in combat in general is far from perfect and should be seriouslly polished before launch.

2 answers to this question

I agree. Push was working fine in previous beta build, but here some really silly things are happening. Maybe push should have a range limit? My tank can get completely surrounded by enemies attacking from the front: the first enemy whom he engaged gets pushed all the way to another side and is free to rampage in the back line without a way to really stop it.

Push is a neat feature but needs a bit more restriction.