Deadlines get pushed. All the time and in every industry. The whining here is really getting out of hand.

• Like 8

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I do think not making deadlines in anything is unprofessional, and the game industry should learn to stop missing 90% of all deadlines. 

But I also know that this happens not so much as a result of laziness or incompetence at the level of individual developers / studios, and more to do with the structural problems of how ridiculously the whole endeavour is funded, budgeted, managed, estimated... it's almost a small miracle that games, however stupidly buggy and late as they always are, end up getting made. 

So a small wish, as long as we're having pipe dreams, is that the industry grows and matures in a way that actually learns to have sane and professional development processes. Heh.

• Like 4

So a small wish, as long as we're having pipe dreams, is that the industry grows and matures in a way that actually learns to have sane and professional development processes. Heh.

You mean the industry that already makes video games for the last 50 years? :p

How long to maturity? :p

I do think not making deadlines in anything is unprofessional, and the game industry should learn to stop missing 90% of all deadlines.

But I also know that this happens not so much as a result of laziness or incompetence at the level of individual developers / studios, and more to do with the structural problems of how ridiculously the whole endeavour is funded, budgeted, managed, estimated... it's almost a small miracle that games, however stupidly buggy and late as they always are, end up getting made.

The active ingredient here is “progressive elaboration”; things that are far off are harder to quantify than things that are happening right now. This has nothing to do with “sane” or “professional”. In fact, one may argue that acknowledging that the process is a slave to progressive elaboration *is* the sane and professional thing to do.

Which isn’t to say that they couldn’t budget twice as long for bug fixing on future projects. Maybe that’s gets to be the unsexiest stretch goal ever on the next Fig campaign.

• Like 1

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

lol I am pretty sure we wear different collars, but just what line of work are you in Achilles?

IT Project Manager

They don't "owe us" ****. But if they give the backer beta away for free, then I'll be pissed. I paid twenty bucks for the *privilege* of being in the backer beta.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 1

Shut up about the money, they are just making sure it's done.

They could have made their first release date june, but they didn't.

Don't be an impatient, petulant child and chill the **** out.

Edited by alexis13
  • Like 2

lol I am pretty sure we wear different collars, but just what line of work are you in Achilles?

IT Project Manager

Don't take this the wrong way, but my experience with IT Program Managers says they are not the best people to go to for a "sane, well thought out, development process that will stay on schedule".

IT Project Manager

Don't take this the wrong way, but my experience with IT Program Managers says they are not the best people to go to for a "sane, well thought out, development process that will stay on schedule".

Agile vs waterfall (aka SDLC) :)

The former allows you to actually get **** done. The latter is a recipe for sitting around wondering where all your milestones went.

• Like 1