Game recommendation

Melusina

Hmmm, I did "bounce off" an earlier Witcher game. I finished it, but it wasn't my cuppa and, moreover, I hated the way combat worked. So much so, in fact, that I tended to avoid it as best I could.

W3 is a very accomplished culmination of the series, but it's not really 'completely different'

Keep in mind that when I say W3 is 'completely different', I'm not talking about combat, because who'd play Witcher for the crappy combat system anyway. I'm not talking about progression either, because... Well, who'd play Witcher for the crappy progression anyway.

I'm talking about entirely different focus of the game's writing, which is this time a lot more personal than W2 and somewhat more personal than W1, along with the writers obviously getting a lot more experienced - there's a LOT less cringe this time around.

I'm talking about quest design, which, for the most part, seem to have made a massive leap for the better.

And, yes, I'm also talking about the open world, which does offer quite a lot to explore and means a fairly significant shift in dynamic when compared to the previous games in the series.

Regardless, I know of at least two people at this point who hated previous Witcher games and loved W3. Just... Don't play it for combat.

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

Keep in mind that when I say W3 is 'completely different', I'm not talking about combat, because who'd play Witcher for the crappy combat system anyway. I'm not talking about progression either, because... Well, who'd play Witcher for the crappy progression anyway.

This was the biggest problem for me; they changed the combat (and alchemy) away from the original... After that the game was crap.

Alas... This was the same crap done by Bethesda with FO3...and with that their game was a crap sequel; as was FO4.

I'm not sure what you intend by 'progression', but I really liked the combat, pacing, and style of the first Witcher; the follow-ups were wasted potential IMO; and Geralt was never really respect-worthy, nor plausible (within context) anymore. They lost a lot of esteem with me for those sequels.

Edited by Gizmo

This was the biggest problem for me; they changed the combat (and alchemy) away from the original... After that the game was crap.

Well I can't say I ever enjoyed any of the Witcher games for the mechanics, really. It's true that the original game at least tried to do something interesting, give player visual progression of character's abilities, make finding new gear a lot more meaningful and create a more involved alchemy system. At the end of the day tho, without its story, I'd not play the original Witcher for more than a few hours at most.

Can someone recommend me good android games? I'm thinking of picking up a tablet for travelling.

Isn't Shadowrun: Dragonfall out for android? Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

You should look into Pathfinder Adventures. The whole package isn't particularly costly and the game is engaging and quite fun. I've played hours upon hours on my Samsung Tab S2. You can also get it on steam and connect the accounts. At one point I had it on my phone, my tablet, and my computer. I'll probably put it on my laptop for those moments I need to take a quick break but can't take the time to play an RPG or something.

I imagine I'll get Witcher III. If I can avoid combat and enjoy the story, that's enough for me. I just finished Dishonored 2 and didn't fight anything other than rats and blood flies the entire game. Well... I did occasionally fight folks for the hell of it, but then I reloaded. If I can get at least some respite from the fighting and get a little exploration and an unfolding story, I'll be a happy gamer.

• Like 2

χαίρετε

I was perfectly satisfied with the combat, so it's hardly something that's being universally panned. Certainly not like PoE's is. I thought the addition of dodge in addition to roll made it less clownpants silly than the previous game, though at the cost of making it extremely unwieldy to play with the keyboard.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Can someone recommend me good android games? I'm thinking of picking up a tablet for travelling.

Sega has some free classic games, Animal Crossing is free and highly ranked, Asphalt 8 if you like racing games. Other than that I'm not sure what else is out there.

My work phone is a Windows 10 phone and I have a couple hundred SNES games on there, you can download the games from the Windows store instead of downloading an emulator and roms, everything is independent which is better.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The best thing I can say about The Witcher 3 is that it was pretty to look at and well optimized. Given that it can comfortably run on lesser hardware that couldn't even handle the 2nd game and look outstanding.

Everything besides that was okay or at least tolerable in my opinion.

Witcher 2 has some major issues... invisible walls keeping you on a linear road, little kids having menly voices. Men having little girl voices, etc. These weren't bugs, they were design choices and poor ones at that.

Can't really say much about Witcher 1 because I haven't gotten to it yet.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

• 3 weeks later...

Witcher 2 has some major issues... little kids having menly voices. Men having little girl voices

I guffawed! lol

It's like when you meet that beautiful young lady and ask her out for coffee and a Danish and she responds with a deeper voice than your own.

Yes'm it's pretty crazy lol