Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Can a Ranger stay with leadspitter all game? Over godagh/stormcaller/persistence? I can't choose what I want to use.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

StormOwnz

StormOwnz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Storm NoX
  • Steam:stormownz
Which one is going to be the highest dps. Any insight is appreciated thank you.

StormOwnz

StormOwnz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
I've read somewhere that the godagh bow with durgan steel is best. Is this true?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7627 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Persistence with durgan steel is the highest single target dps weapon for a ranger due to wounding. You need high MIG.

It's also very good for a ranger because its wounding triggers Predator's Sense.

The Rain of Godhagh Field is the best ranged weapon for a cipher. That's because wounding doesn't generate focus.

Lead Spitter is great for burst damage, but its dps is strictly inferior to bows.

Edited by Boeroer, 04 December 2017 - 09:24 PM.

StormOwnz

StormOwnz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
Without the micro does persistence still outdmg the rain of godagh bow?

Golo X Egde

Golo X Egde

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
What about borresaine?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7627 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Which micro do you mean?

It does woundig damage automatically. Woundig is a raw lash and gets more powerful with MIG. The base value is 25% of your pre-DR damage roll. If you hit for 40 damage pre DR that's additional 10 raw damage with 10 MIG. If you had 20 MIG it would be 13 raw damage (and so on). With decent MIG it's the best dps ranged weapon for a ranger in general.

Imagine you meet an enemy with 20 DR: your initial 40 damage would be reduced to 20, but the raw lash would still hit for 13. This is the power of woundig. It also works against pierce-immune foes.

The damage from Predator's Sense which triggers 100% of the time comes as a bonus on top (if that's what you meant with micro).

Another plus: you can get Persistence very early and start enchanting it with a lash and quality (fine, exceptional...). So you profit from those investments throughout the whole playthrough.

I would even pick Stormcaller over Rain of Godhag Field. With a bow cipher I would always use the Rain, it's the best focus generator at range - but not with a ranger.

Edited by Boeroer, 05 December 2017 - 12:30 AM.

StormOwnz

StormOwnz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
What I meant by micro is constantly switching targets to apply the dot to all the mobs. Like your mad hornet build.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7627 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

You don't need to do that. Wounding damage stacks. The Mad Hornet only did it because of Deep Wounds (which don't stack). In order to get the most out of Deep Wounds you need high MIG, high INT and hit different targets. With wounding you only need high MIG (low INT is even better) and you can simply fire at one enemy all the time. You can't see it on the enemy (but in the combat log): the wounding damage stacks.

Edited by Boeroer, 05 December 2017 - 02:55 AM.

chickenhed

chickenhed

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

You don't need to do that. Wounding damage stacks. The Mad Hornet only did it because of Deep Wounds (which don't stack). In order to get the most out of Deep Wounds you need high MIG, high INT and hit different targets. With wounding you only need high MIG (low INT is even better) and you can simply fire at one enemy all the time. You can't see it on the enemy (but in the combat log): the wounding damage stacks.

I've been gone for a while so forgive this random reply, but does wounding (and dots in general) show up as damage done in the character panel yet? I remember it not showing up. Which always annoyed me.

Same with the ranger pet. It's part of the class! At the very least I would love to see its damage done as compared to other party members during a playthrough. 

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7627 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

No, both wounding's and ranger's pet damage will not get documented on the char sheet. That's a reason why a lot of people don't realize how powerful wounding (and animal companions) are. You can download and install MaxQuest's UPMod. It documents all damage sources correctly if I'm not mistaken. 

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1089 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Is an enchanted leadspitter better than silver flash?

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7627 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
No. Silver Flash procs Divine Mark with every second shot (~47% per shot: 10% chance with every one of the 6 pellets) and blinds in a cone shaped AoE (friendly fire). It is clearly better than Lead Spitter.

StormOwnz

StormOwnz

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 12 posts
How would you build that Ranger for persistence?

Moneo

Moneo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts

I used both Lead Spitter and the Rain with my ciphers. Well, LS provides you a ****load of burst dmg. The damage from LS varies a lot depending on target's DR, and it seems that against low-DR foes LS can outdamage everything. In particular, it can one-shot hostile wizards. But against mid-DR enemies its damage is much worse, and against high-DR, it's miserable.

So I went with the Rain for my ranged cipher. It provides high DPS and very fast and reliable focus flow. Perhaps, durganized Sabra Marie would be even better (considering you crit a lot), but you get it too late in game, whereas the Rain is obtainable during mid-game. You can enter White Marsh armed with it.

And don't forget, with the Rain (or other bow), you don't need to spend a talent point for the Gunner talent. But for the most efficience with the bows, you need to reach 0 recovery. DAoM potion, durganized light armor, Gloves of Swift Action etc.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7627 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

How would you build that Ranger for persistence?

High MIG (important for wounding, the higher the better), DEX (it's impossible to reach 0 recovery without consumalbes with Persistence) and PER , low INT (low INT raises wounding's dps).

Wood Elf or Hearth Orlan, wolf companion

Talents/abilites:

1. Marked Prey

2. Weapon Focus Peasant

3. Predator's Sense

4. Marksman

5. Stalker's Link

6. Resilient Companion

7. Takedown

8. Brutal Takedown

9. Driving Flight

10. Vicious Companion

11. Stunning Shots

12. Merciless Companion

13. Twinned Arrows

14. Apprentice's Sneak Attack

15. Vengeful Grief

Story talents: Merciless Hand or Mob Justice, Dungeon Delver, Effigy's Resentment Devil of Caroc or Sagani, Gift of the Machine, Galawain's Boon, Song of the Heavens, Scale Breaker

Skills: Survival 14 (+2 from Jack of Wide Waters) for +30% damage against flanked targets

Items: Stalker's Torc, Cloak of the Frozen Hunt, Gauntlets of Swift Action, Glanfathan Stalking Boots, Ring of Thorns, Bartender's Ring, Ultimate Hat of Alluring Perfection, Jack of Wide Waters.

Try to stack as much accuracy as you can right at the start (Weapon Focus, Marksman, Stalker's Link...). Don't forget the pet - with Predator's Sense alsways on it hits like a truck. Brutal Takedown only has to overcome 1/4 or enemies DR, it's perfect to take out and kill casters and other high priority targets very quickly even if they have high DR. The wolf does the best single target damage, that's why I prefer him. He's also one of the faster attacking pets.

Flank an enemy with your tank + pet. Your ranger will get a damage bonus of +75% against "flanked by your pet" enemies (+30% from survival, +10% from boots, +15% from Apprentice's Sneak, +20% from Stalker's Torc). With Mob Justice and Effigy's Resentment Sagani + Stalker's Link you will get a bonus of +16 ACC in that situation, too - or +10 ACC and +30% crit damage with Merciless Hand - both is good. The pet will get a damage bonus of +95% (Vicious + Merciless Comp. + Predator's Sense). Against tough bosses or enemies with very high deflection Marked Prey is really good.

You don't need Penetrating Shots because of wounding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users