On a scale of 1-10, I'm a 5 in terms of skill level in this game. I've beaten the game on hard with a 5man party. I'm ready to take on POTD, but I'd love to include mostly story companions in my party. My question - how hard will that make the game?

I like a good challenge, but I want to make sure I'm not gimping myself too severely with Aloth, Eder, Durance, and the like.

I've done it multiple times with story characters. If you play well it will be a non issue. Good synergy, accuracy and debuffs are the name of the game in PoTD.

Have gun will travel.

Stats actually aren't that important in the game, sure they make a difference but the companions are fine. Talents, abilities and equipment make a bigger difference. Sure some of the companions are not ideal statwise, but a few of them are really, really good. Zahua, for instance makes an awesome monk. Kana is a great chanter.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Official companions start one level above hirelings. That makes them a lot better in the early game. Since the early game is the hardest part of the game, in my opinion the official companions make the game easier, not harder.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods