Suggestions - Wishlists

Any posts will of course have to assume many things since we know so little, but it's about time for at least one hopefully constructive thread. I.E. not full of speculations but rather some prefaced assumptions and then hopefully good constructive suggestions and wishes.

First, I'll assume it's an RPG with a KoTOR style interface. D20 ruleset. Might as well also use KOTOR as a base for comparison.

Character Development:

This could be improved greatly from the first KoTOR. A few more "classes" or subsets with much more distinction between each one.

Combat:

This is an area which really needs improvement over KoTOR.

More feats that need activation and more magic/force power would make it more interactive rather than loading up a set of tasks and watching the cinematic as Sammael put it. Animation was good in KOTOR though, no complaints there. Also maybe tone down the greatness of the lightsaber and give many more options for ranged weapons, and all types for that matter. This could also come under character development as in KOTOR it was often necessary to use a lightsaber.

Subquests and their activation:

Several more would be much appreciated, and some more which perhaps need certain requirements to be activated. That's really all I have to say on that.

Alignment: It was done alright in KOTOR, especially considering the very black and white SW universe. some more in betweeny choices, particularily in dialogue, would be much appreciated.

Note: These suggestions hold no matter what game is in the making, KOTOR is only being used as a base of comparison.

My wishlist, wether or not this is going to be KotOR2. And I will not repeat what is said, unless I disagree.

Subquests and Activation:

I completely agree with you on this point, with the addition that I would like the subquests to have some more impact on the main storyline, eg by granting players aditional paths or the like.

If it's KOTOR2...

1. More class choices.

2. More combat options ala all other D20 PC games not counting POR2.

3. Better controls.

4. Less, or at least more fun mini games.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

If you want examples of fun minigames, I can easily point out Anachronox and Beyond Good & Evil as two games with some of the most interesting minigames. The minigames in KOTOR seemed like an afterthought by the developers.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

It was fun, for awhile - but it was biased against the player because the player always started first. This meant that you drew an extra card (with all the detriments and risks) while the computer did not. This basically gave the computer an unfair advantage.

Exitium

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

True; but that can easily be fixed if the card game makes a return as that was a pretty common complaint (actually the only real complaint as far as the card game was concerned) so it should be remedied.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Alignment: It was done alright in KOTOR, especially considering the very black and white SW universe. some more in betweeny choices, particularily in dialogue, would be much appreciated.

I felt KOTOR lacked a bit on the DS choices. It was almost always about money that didn't belong to you, not being really mean or evil. That said, kotor did have one of the most evil moments in any rpg I have seen.

The Romeo and Juliet scene was priceless.

Exitium

My main suggestion:

Take your time. Dont release a half assed game just to get one out faster. No one wants another Lionheart, a game with great potential, but then you realize "Hey, if i have a compainion, and move to another part of the city, and then save, ill have to start over!" Which is never good.

I'd have probably liked the game a lot better if they gave more life to the locations and the characters there. It seemed like almost every character encountered was just a clone of the next one. Having a wider selection of faces and dialogue would have been nice.

Exitium

One thing i'd like to add. Do avoid to your best possibility the use of a "special one" storyline, where the character is an utter newb, but is pointed out as being the last of its race, or the supreme being, or whatever. Avoid going the Baldur's Gate or KoTOR route. BG1 was particularly annoying, where the son of a deity was as mundane as everyone else, and had pitiful, non-descript abilities.

Try to apply visual changes to models as their physically-derived stats grow. With increased strenght, have the model grow some muscle as well. Have those biceps show. With a higher dex, have the character run faster. St. Paddy got it right too, change the voice according to where the character heads. Have a regular voice for a regular character, but add a more optimistic, just, noble, and peaceful tone to a character on the light side, and a darker, more serious, arrogant or even raspier voice for dark siders (in fact, allow for player to choose one voice type at the beginning, and make the changes based on that voice set; with, say, 4 different voice sets for each gender, you could end up having 24 different voices).

Facial customization would be nice. Adding elements such as scars, or tatoos, would be nice.

I just copied from the other thread, I think one of them needs to be closed:

1) Make your decisions influence the game world itself more, not just dialogues and the very ending

2) Jedis were far too powerful in KotOR. With two jedis you simply went through hordes of enemies without difficulty.

3) More multiple solutions. The rancor was one of the few encounters you could solve in more than the two evil-notevil ways.

4) Less conservative talents. Go for some wild stuff, no two-bladed lightsabers boring stuff. Go for some somewhat crazy perks like robot killer ("wents berserk on a robots sight") or sand crawler ("moves faster on sand planets").

5) Yes, more real life would also be nice. In the first KotOR all people felt like they were just there for the player.

The generic voice reminded me a lot of a Californian surfer boy/girl. Jedi Academy suffered from a similar problem, to a much greater degree.

Exitium

This is a business like any other and they do need to make money or they won't be able to make any games. As has been said so many times before now, KoTOR2 would be a good plan to get money, and then hopefully they can get creative. Or maybe just as likely make KoTOR3, but only time will tell.