As of now, what are your thoughts on KOTOR II?

While I appreciate the human need to speculate, I'd respectfully like to suggest that it is too early to do so with any accuracy at this point. Currently, we have our experiences of previous games, a few screenshots, a general idea as to the beginning of the story, and the history of the creative team. Even if we enjoy the ideas we've heard, the best idea can suffer from poor implementation.

If I were going to speculate I'd need:

Video and sound clips from the game

A more expansive outline of the conflicts within it

More information on the personalities I'll interact with

More information on how the work reacts to my actions.

Until then, all I have is optimistic enthusiasm.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I'm surprised to see very few comments on anything but graphics, music, animations and length...no-one is interested in improving the core gameplay?

Because less is known about the content, than about the presentation of it ?

Maybe posters care less about the game, than about the gimmicks, the rules implementations, latest fashion on the core worlds etc.

Perhaps it's just because it's easier for the developers to provide info about anything but the details of the game content, without giving too many spoilers (like that the bad guy with the white mask is male :))

Could be other reasons. Speculation if sometimes more entertaining than facts. B)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My thoughts of KotOR2 is that it will be a fairly poor game. FIrst off it is a Bioware Hand me down. That alone makes me wary of the gtame. Secondly it looks like the sequel will have the same weaknesses as the original. Combat was pretty bad in the first game and I don't see it changing in the second game. I also don't see much replayability as well. KotOR had 2 replays and I am expecting KotOR2 to have that as well.

Another problem with the original which I don't seeing changing in the second is the severe limitations of character creation. At least in the first game you aren't forced to start out as a Force user. I mean there is more to Star Wars than the Jedi and the Force. I would have perfered to see those aspects explored more, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. Its going to be another Force fest which relates to another problem with KotOR that will be in KotOR2: it will be way too easy.

Force users in the Star Wars d20 game are a munchkin's wet dream and it shows in the CRPG. I found the game way too easy and KotOR2 looks like it will be in the same camp. In the short of it if I want to play a Star Wars CRPG where I am a Jedi I will play the original again. KotOR2 is going to have nothing that I will be interested in.

While I appreciate the human need to speculate, I'd respectfully like to suggest that it is too early to do so with any accuracy at this point. Currently, we have our experiences of previous games, a few screenshots, a general idea as to the beginning of the story, and the history of the creative team. Even if we enjoy the ideas we've heard, the best idea can suffer from poor implementation.

If I were going to speculate I'd need:

Video and sound clips from the game

A more expansive outline of the conflicts within it

More information on the personalities I'll interact with

More information on how the work reacts to my actions.

Until then, all I have is optimistic enthusiasm.

I agree. And also more information on the length of the game, how far through dev etc.

And guys, what is the deal with complaining about the damn graphics? The fact that they're using the same engine saves them time, which is a benefit and has been mentioned as such previously. And, IT'S MAY 2004. The game's proposed release date (and we all know what happens to those) is FEBRUARY 2005. My FG, i'm sure that's ample time with which to tweak graphics, especially with the new line of cards imminently approaching. PLEASE STOP WORRYING.

Since the game won umpteen million game-of-the-year awards, why would they mess with gameplay too much? It sold plenty of copies on both PC and console formats. It met with fan and critic support. Many of the people on this forum may feel differently, but the masses have said KOTOR was great as is. Do you think LucasArts would are screw with the formula too much?

I agree with the poster that said that with Obsidian at the helm, one doesn't have to worry about the storyline too much. I am really looking forward to what they come up with.

So far as graphics, gameplay, and such, from what I saw of the demo, they have been improved, although there were a few sticking points that I very much hope were just because it was a demo.

A longer game would be fantastic, but with the limitations of the X-Box I am not getting my hopes up. Hopefully I'll have a computer that can actually run the PC version decently as opposed to the one I have now, which cries everytime I think about playing it.

I'm also very hopeful about the DLC that will be available. Unfortunately, the DLC for the first one wasn't very much, and it did take an inordinate amount of time to be released for various reasons. I'm looking forward to immediate DLC and more of it with KoTOR2.

*shrug* I like being a Jedi, it's fun. Hopefully LA will explore other possibilities for SW gameplay, like smugglers or bounty hunters, in a different game (not SW:G). As of now, though, I'm looking forward to KoTOR2.

I am a little concerned about the fall of the Jedi Council. I know it will be explained in-story, but still...disappointing after using the light side ending of the first one as my main focus. Ah well.

Never assume malice when stupidity is to blame.

I am a little concerned about the fall of the Jedi Council. I know it will be explained in-story, but still...disappointing after using the light side ending of the first one as my main focus. Ah well.

Here, read my Before the Dark Times.... article.

Its just my speculation about what events lead up to KOTOR using the LS ending or KOTOR. Soon I'm going to do the same but this time focus on the DS ending of KOTOR.

I'm still looking forward to KotOR II for mainly the story. With all of KotOR shortcoming, I could care less, provided there is a good compelling story driving me forward. I'm just glad we won't have the usual amensia crap this time around, and get to tell the game about "our" Revan.

An actual replayabilty would be a plus (Besides just playing LS/DS) :(

I could care less about all the other crap. :p

I am the type of person who wants both. I want good challenging combat so I know that there is a risk, something at stake if I fail while at the same time have a good well told story that immerses me into the game world. Bioware did this with BG and BG2, but failed to do so since then.

Well...yeah!

Part of what makes it fun, and a great stress relief after a bad day! ;)

Thanks, Tyrell, that was a good read and very interesting. I look forward to seeing your version of the DS events.

Thank you, you are the first person to post here that you actually liked my write-up.

Everyone else is all talking about how many errors and stuff is in it. I'm like HELL, it isn't like this is my proffesion, I just do this for fun.

My thoughts of KotOR2 is that it will be a fairly poor game.  FIrst off it is a Bioware Hand me down.  That alone makes me wary of the gtame.

On one hand, I can see where you're coming from. Sequels are hard to do, and it's probably not the easiest thing in the world to pick up somebody else's vision and run with it. But on the other hand, conventional wisdom suggests that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" leads to creators attempting to repeat a known process that has worked once before. And that in turn produces uninspiring sequels. Having fresh blood with different perspectives has the potential to inject uniqueness into the sequel.

Combat was pretty bad in the first game and I don't see it changing in the second game.

I think combat is going to be a matter of personal preference. I liked the combat--it wasn't intrusive enough to distract from the storyline, didn't confuse me enough to throw the controller across the room and quit, and didn't require me to be double-jointed, ambidextrous, and have six fingers on each hand. But I am easily intimidated by console combat, so your mileage may vary.

Force users in the Star Wars d20 game are a munchkin's wet dream and it shows in the CRPG.

Well, there is that whole element of generating a profit, and munchkins have lots of disposable income. :D Although I would like to see a quest that you could succeed at either as a Force-user or not. It would be a challenge to write such an epic level campaign, to create success paths that could be achieved without the use of Force powers, but would require them if your PC were a Force user.

KOTOR was the first CRPG I played since playing Infocomm text-based computer RPGs on an Apple II+ back in the Dark Ages when dirt was new, so I may be an easy customer to please. But I'm willing to give Obsidian the benefit of the doubt, if not my outright enthusiastic support. Because while they have a tough act to follow from the first game, they also have a model for success, and the resources to discover what worked and what needs improvement. All they need to do is use their resources wisely.

After the Fall - a KOTOR fanfic epic at Kotorfanfic.com

I remember Infocom quite well. I had Zork 1, 2, 3, Leather Goddess of Pheobos (msp?), Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and several others for my oild Commodore 64. I have been a computer, console (off and on), and PnP gamer since the days of Pong and Space Invaders. I know what I like and what I don't like and I like a challenge in my games as well as a good entertaining story to them. Playing a Force User, Dark side or Light, makes KotOR way too easy.

Don't forget the Enchanter trilogy. And Planetfall/Stationfall. And A Mind Forever Voyaging. And Bureaucracy. (I played them on a Mac.)

I think they're all abandonware these days, so drop by Home of the Underdogs for a nostalgia trip.

Back on topic: one problem in the SW setting is that Jedi really should be able to crush non-Jedi, other things being more or less equal. How do you balance that and still let folks play non-Jedi? Then again, considering how easy KotOR 1 was, it might very well have been playable as a non-Jedi if you'd had the option. But that just means that Bio botched the difficulty.

I also want a game that's actually a challenge. We'll see.

But my big worry is the plotline. So far, it sounds like whatever you did in KotOR 1 was an exercise in futility. I won't be happy if this turns out to really be the case.