Hello all,

I was just wondering how good drawn in spring is for a tank barb with high intel and dragonmaw shield. 

The dagger has nice accuracy and applies its DoT effect to all enemies hit by carnage and then dragonmaw shield will apply the taste of the hunt DoT so damage over time willy nilly. Is this the best combination for a dps barb tank?

Is this the best combination for a dps barb tank?

From one point of view, yes sure. You have decent deflection, high reflex. Lot's of healing. And since you are talking about dps-tank and not interruption-tank, you probably have high might score as well. Which synergies nicely with both wounding and taste-of-the-hunt dots.

From another point of view: not sure. Because:

- wounding unlike regular DoT's doesn't benefit from INT. Intellect actually dilutes it's dps.

- with the exception of Animats (who are easy); there are rarely many very-high-DR enemies standing together. Mostly it's a boss + minions. I.e. there is rarely any need in spread the wounding over all of them. Thus I would rather see Drawn-in-Spring in hands of let's say a rogue with deathblows and mediocre/low int.

- in my opinion there are two main types of tanks:

1. trash/encounter tank - a character with high DR and deflection

2. boss/dragon tank - a character with high HP, fortitude (mig/con) and reflex

Drawn-in-spring is great against high DR bosses, but for trash fights, I would probably use Mosquito/Strike Hard/Godansthunyr/Cladhalíath/Bittercut instead (depending on how tanky/tanky/cc/cc/dpsy you want to be; * Godansthunyr/Cladhalíath are mostly good if you can apply Weakened in each encounter).

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Every barb's best dps tool is Heart of Fury. Best thing for Heart of Fury are two things: high damage per hit (not damage per second or dps) and a weapon setup that allows full attacks (dual weapons or weapon + bashing shield).

Drawn in Spring is a great weapon, but mainly because it combines wounding with high attack speed. Its damage per hit is not superspecial though because the base damage is quite low.

So, for barb's auto attacks with carnage it's a good weapon - but for Heart of Fury, Barbaric Blow and Vengeful Defeat you want weapons like sabres and such.

That's why I prefer Bittercut with a barb. It has great damage per hit because of the +20% that all sabres have and the +20% you can get with Spirit of Decay - which also boosts your corrosive lash from 25% to 30%. It has two damage types and you can get it fairly early.

What you could also do is use Drawn in Spring for auto attacks and switch to dual maces for Heart of Fury only. You won't need Two Handed Style for this because it's one single attack only.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah i can see that high intel dilutes the DoT from drawn in spring now, unlike most dot effects it is a solid 25% of weapon damage and the longer that is drawn out the smaller the damage ticks will be. If they stacked it would be amazing but they dont stack. Thanks for the responses it has cleared things up for me alot. Boeroer you are right, a sabre in main and offhand (or shield in offhand) is best for heart of fury and outside of your cooldowns drawn in spring is great and synergises great with combusting wounds.

How about this

weapons set 1: Drawn in spring + Dragons maw

weapon set 2 (for heart of fury): Purgatory + Badragr's barricade (my paladin has dual bittercuts, two man party)

Is purgatory a good option for heart of fury then (with exeption of bittercut) or would there be a better option for max dps during heart of fury?

Purgatory is fine with the Barricade - especially if you have high accuracy. Since carnage will have great accuracy bonuses at high levels (+1 per lvl) you will score quite some crits and then Purgatory's Annihilation enchantment shows it's magic - as well as Badgradr's Barricade will trigger some ToTTs. :)

Resolution is also fine. Purgatory has nice draining though, which is very nice with carnage and of course also Heart of Fury (=insta-heal).

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Actually wounding does stack. :)

But it still takes longer for the damage to get applied completely when you have high INT.

That would make it pretty awesome for a rogue with deep wounds + envenomed strike and then if you used barricade thrust would fire off all the time because of rogues high crit. Got me thinking.

Im going to stick with purgatory at the moment for the heal, seems like the best option for damage + survivability.

Thanks for your help :)