Axes are good for dual wielding and they are in fact , a religious requirement for dwarfs.... And they look cool! Plenty good ones to go around as well.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Axes are good for dual wielding and they are in fact , a religious requirement for dwarfs.... And they look cool! Plenty good ones to go around as well.

Unfortunately not in the early levels. Which stinks considering there are tons dwarf fans out there. I would of loved an early Unique Battle Axe. Instead we're stuck with Hearth's Harvest at best.

• Like 2

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Well.. to be honest... dagger is not a dueling weapon. Sword, Rapier, or even sabres are. Even in modern fencing, those are the weapons of choice. I see dagger as a sort of "scoundrel" weapon or a mage/necromancer ritual weapon. That's my opinion...

Rapier in the main hand and dagger (specifically a main-gauche dagger) is probably the quintessential dueling combination. You can also guarantee that almost every single knight who ever rode into battle in Europe had a dagger as a secondary or tertiary weapon (as would any soldier who could afford one in addition to their primary weapon). Honestly, daggers were probably the single most widespread weapon in this period (and maybe all of European history).

Their association with rogue type characters probably comes from two things: (i) a dagger is a lot cheaper than a sword, since there is a lot less metal involved in its construction and (ii) they can be easily concealed. That said, I suspect a lot of bandits and cut purses in medieval and renaissance Europe will have actually used knives rather than daggers since knives will have been cheaper and more widespread amongst the sort of people likely to turn to such occupations. 

But the image of the dagger as solely, or primarily a thief or assassin's weapon is very much the creation of modern fantasy writing.

• Like 2

Ravenwing is not two handed but it's only good early game.

If you absolutely don't want to dual bittercut cuz rp, then I would take war hammers like Godansthunyr or Strike Hard.

I like Ravenwing as an endgame weapon in a dual wield with a dagger or rapier on a maxed might build. Allows for multiple damage types. Even better when paired with a sword to cover all three damage types. Currently using it on a Dualwield Coastal Aumaua maxed Might Barbarian, paired with Whispers. He's beastly so far, just hitting level 9 with the party.

Jerek, I agree with you. In fact, I was thinking with fantasy lore in mind. I like Ravenwing, it's one of my favourite weapons. And also agree with dual battle axes, that would perfectly suit my grumpy, stubborn, beardy dwarf. ;)

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Um Ravenwing only has 1 damage type, that's why I recommended a hammer for 2 damage types.

Combined with bittercut thats 4 damage types.

I wasn't stating Ravenwing had 2 damage types. I was showing the combo of Mace w other damage type. Ravenwing itself is a damage beast. Combine it with another weapon that debuffs the enemy or abilities that do the same and it becomes an excellent weapon. Plus it looks cool. Edited by Blades of Vanatar

Drifting to far ot here so it's my last post, but however one argues be it damage "beast" or different damage types there are plenty of weapons superior to Ravenwing in the endgame, but if you choose it for the looks/rp thats perfectly fine, me I love the look of dual bittercuts and Gwisk Glass on my cipher and the damage is the best ingame.

• Like 3

Drifting to far ot here so it's my last post, but however one argues be it damage "beast" or different damage types there are plenty of weapons superior to Ravenwing in the endgame, but if you choose it for the looks/rp thats perfectly fine, me I love the look of dual bittercuts and Gwisk Glass on my cipher and the damage is the best ingame.

I hear ya.

• Like 1

Yeah, Blades knows I'm into RP ;) 

Gwisk Glas is marvellous anyway... and strong also! I'll take a look Blades, thank you!

• Like 1

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Unfortunately not in the early levels. Which stinks considering there are tons dwarf fans out there. I would of loved an early Unique Battle Axe. Instead we're stuck with Hearth's Harvest at best.

There is a decent axe early on. By decent I mean it doesn't have any special abilities but it is exceptional. Can be brought from the gentlemans club in DB. Put a lash on it and it will last a fair amount of time. In fact there are a couple of great weapons there, including an excellent rapier and spear and a couple of exceptional weapons which you can get really early on. It's normally my first stop after when I reach DB.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

Well.. to be honest... dagger is not a dueling weapon. Sword, Rapier, or even sabres are. Even in modern fencing, those are the weapons of choice. I see dagger as a sort of "scoundrel" weapon or a mage/necromancer ritual weapon. That's my opinion...

Rapier in the main hand and dagger (specifically a main-gauche dagger) is probably the quintessential dueling combination. You can also guarantee that almost every single knight who ever rode into battle in Europe had a dagger as a secondary or tertiary weapon (as would any soldier who could afford one in addition to their primary weapon). Honestly, daggers were probably the single most widespread weapon in this period (and maybe all of European history).

Their association with rogue type characters probably comes from two things: (i) a dagger is a lot cheaper than a sword, since there is a lot less metal involved in its construction and (ii) they can be easily concealed. That said, I suspect a lot of bandits and cut purses in medieval and renaissance Europe will have actually used knives rather than daggers since knives will have been cheaper and more widespread amongst the sort of people likely to turn to such occupations. 

But the image of the dagger as solely, or primarily a thief or assassin's weapon is very much the creation of modern fantasy writing.

And by all accounts it's the single best dueling combination. At least according to Hema. It's really difficult to counter a rapier/combo from what I've seen. And there's an awesome rapier and dagger available very early on in Defiance bay for those interested in a dueling like character.

Lord of Light

Gentlemen please... I have a dwarf... I'm not that well educated or subtle to use such weapons... I need to bash skulls! :)

• Like 1

Gentlemen please... I have a dwarf... I'm not that well educated or subtle to use such weapons... I need to bash skulls! :)

Well now that's just discriminatory towards Dwarves! I'll have you know that Dwarves are proportionally over represented in the Vailian Royal Academy of Animantic Sciences!

But if you insist on bashing in skulls, War Hammers are definitely the way to go. 

• Like 3

No, no. My dwarf is a paladin that burps politely. :)

Seriously though... there's no warhammer except abydon that does something good to my cause. Well I could enchant them, of course...

But maybe battle axes are more in tune with the flavor. I started yesterday with the pala. I went darcozzi, but I'm not sure...

What would you pick to slay undead?

Darcozzi + Liberating Accuracy buff = best pala.

Is that so strong? I mean... +10 for 20 seconds on a single target? Goes on the tank?

Idk I liked the 175 accuracy crit on the adra dragon with disintegration, not that it was absolutely necessary, since she was already near death, a graze with 165 would probably have had the same effect.

Then again I built focus by attacking her in melee where crits also helped.

In short, yes +10 acc can mean a lot, since it also applies to spells, especially for cipher it's great since you use both weapons and spells.

Before I went Darcozzi, I used to be Wayfarer. Curing everyone back then... FoD was curing everyone as well... but... now I don't know... if I will be curing just the same, I don't want to put Lay on hands in this build.

On a side note, I'd like to ask a question about bashing shields: how do they work? Do you get an off hand attack with the shield? 

Edited by Slack83er

I can't really smack talk passive healing since even tho I use potions, since there are plenty, it always annoys me.

Yes, bash gives you a full attack, I personally recomend shields other than small cuz accuracy, also bash doesn't benefit from enchanting, since a superb shield for example just gains deflection and reflex bonus, so your accuracy with bash is low.

Edited by Raven Darkholme