Bad synching between devices?

LemLover

Question

Love the game, first time poster here, long time lurker.

I just got a new ipad, and would like to play the same account on both the ipad and my iphone.  However, the synching seems really off.  For example,  I finished an adventure on the ipad last night, and today while out of the house I open it up on the iphone and I'm still in the middle of it...or maybe still on the same adventure as last time I opened it up on my phone, it is hard to tell. I am closing the app in-between and relogging in.   Seems like the synching should be immediate, but there is definitely some kind of multihour delay going on here. Thoughts?

7 answers to this question

Yup, I've noted previously that it's risky relying on Sync to... welll... sync. In other words - it simply doesn't do its job. I myself have finished a Scenario, closed the App, and either left the device alone for a significant time or even powered it down, after which I've fired up a second device from which I've previously deleted the Saved Games folder only to find that I've lost experience (to the point of losing levels). I've tried everything I can think of to force Device A to sync to PlayFab and for Device B to pick up the synchronised data from PlayFab: it just does not work with sufficient levels of reliability.

I am closing the app in-between and relogging in.   Seems like the synching should be immediate, but there is definitely some kind of multihour delay going on here. Thoughts?

Force-quitting all running copies of the app and opening it up again really is the only thing you can do right now.  Delays are sometimes a connection issue.  If you leave it running long enough, occasionally the game loses its connection and seems entirely unaware that happened.

At present, the game only does a full sync with the server after the "Logged in!" popup.  After that, it is one-way only (Game-->Server), and can be about as synchronized as a fart in the wind.

What would be helpful is syncing saves/characters every time you press the Continue, Story, or Quest button; not just on login.  I'd be willing to wait an extra hundred milliseconds every now and then if it keeps my crew up-to-date across multiple devices.

• Like 1

So if you are correct and wanted to play on Device A and Device B all you would need to do to guarantee sync would be:

1. Finish your session on Device A and close the App
  2. Reload the App on Device A and make sure that you have logged on
  3. Exit the game on Device A
  4. Start the game on Device B and make sure that you have logged on

So if you are correct and wanted to play on Device A and Device B all you would need to do to guarantee sync would be:...

Yes.  I think that would be your best hope (assuming step 3 was "Exit the game on Device B" not A).

While I think that the game silently refreshes the login if it is older than an hour (possibly prompting a new sync [maybe?, never waited long enough to see :shrug: ]), who knows how the timing will work out if you're actively switching between 2 or more devices.

I'm sure the devs could chime in with more concrete info, but I think that's a good illustration of what's going on right now.

No, step 3 is meant as written. The idea is to finish the session on Device A and then force a re-sync by logging on again on Device A, Exiting on A again ensures that you don't  have two Devices logged in on PACG at the same time.

Ok.  Probably isn't necessary, but it won't hurt.  If you're online, the pathfinder app is constantly firing off updates to the cloud.  

The important part is getting the app to initiate a sync back down from the servers, and that only seems to reliably happen after you first login.