Total newbie here: tips for quest mode?

So I got this game and I really like it, but I'm trying to figure out strategies to be successful in quest mode. I have the characters Kyra, Merisiel and Ezren and I can't for the life of me finish even a single quest... what the strategy I should be using? Usually I run out of time trying to corner the boss and it's not even close! Then my characters get to level 3 and get no rewards, maxing that even if I go back and try again, it's the same crap because there's no progression... apparently, to progress, I need to beat the quest on the first playthrough, or I won't get the skill advancement ever. But how do it? What am I missing here?

for missing rewards...there's a bug :) if you understand to lose the scenario,forfeit the game so xp aren't charged :) 3/4 party group should be work;if u can't close the locations in time,try to use Seelah(with her crusade power she's one of the best location closers;I usually go with 4 people party,assign each char to a location(each to best fit closing check:ezren to academy,meri to wooden bridge etc); then on 4 locations, both u catch the villain or not,u try to close them;when the char close a location,then move to an open location;usually in 10/15 turns u will have 2 closed locations,and 4 char at the remaining...so it's time to catch the villain!use blessings or allies to maximize your exploration,u surely find him :) anyway,it's a game based on luck(not entirely,but enough),so not always u'll win the scenario(bad draws,henchmen at last loc deck etc); my party usually is Valeros(monster/villain killer,good for locations full of monsters,good with his charisma check), Merisiel(alone,she's devasting,good on dex closing checks,best on barriers), Ezren(spells and arcane checks) and Seelah(Good fighter,good healer,good powers)

Ehi mate! :)

So the first steps in Quest are quite hard because we don't have good cards at the beginning. So we ll often lose while grabbing new stuff we need. It's normal.

Then, Ezren is very funny but Intelligent checks for closing are rare and free explorations for him aren't cheap at the beginning, perhaps better a Charisma char to help you (Seoni or Lem or Valeros are great), that will help also to easily get allies to use in additional explorations.

The key to win is having a lot of explorations in one turn, so you need to spend allies and blessing there. That requires to reduce allies/blessing for combat help, so we have to find better weapons, better spells and use recharge options every time is possible to add extra dices we need in a fight. First ranks (<20) have short hand for your characters (few cards you can play in a single turn), so we need to resist and find better cards necessarily.

Buy chests to unlocks new cards (better weapons, spell and blessing mostly), if you haven't already done. But pay attention to save 4.000 for coming AD4 release in that case.

Then there are very experienced players in this forum that helped me a lot at my beginning and can help you for every situation :) Glhf mate

If you're still pretty low level? I suggest starting over and always keep in mind to forfeit if you think you have no chance of completing the quest because of the current bug.

Failing early is ok, focus on getting good cards to the point of defeating banes and traps without using allies and blessings. You should only use them on extra explores or sure location closing.

Be patient with Ezren, higher level locations and spells will make him a very good character later.

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I took some to heart and, yeah, being very aggressive with using blessings to explore made my life a lot easier along with a bunch of extra force bolts. So what should I prioritize for purchases? Should I save 6000 and get the character bundle or spend 4000 on the second adventure or should I buy one of the 1500 gold characters? Or should I be doing something else entirely with gold?

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

I suggest Adventures first and replay the heck out of it until your current heroes get stuck then get another solo character to help on that point. I don't recommend getting the char bundle at first, as it will become tedious to grind for it (depends on your level of patience), I advice to have a full party first as farming 20k gold on legendary will be faster with a 6-man party.

• Like 1

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. I took some to heart and, yeah, being very aggressive with using blessings to explore made my life a lot easier along with a bunch of extra force bolts. So what should I prioritize for purchases? Should I save 6000 and get the character bundle or spend 4000 on the second adventure or should I buy one of the 1500 gold characters? Or should I be doing something else entirely with gold?

Thanks for your help!

Spend your gold on chests.

Characters and adventure packs should be purchased with money.

Yes, you could grind gold, save up, and get all of the content in the game without spending any real money. But the game developers don't work for free, and create games like this just to see how many people can get as much content for free as they can.

If you like the game, buy something and send some money to Obsidian to support their work. You aren't FORCED to spend any real money. But do it anyway, because it's the right thing to do.

----------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

I'd advise you to quit this game, and forget it ever existed.

Believe me, I **LOVED** this game before the latest patch.  But it's clear that the game developers simply do not prioritize fixing bugs, or delivering promised content.  Instead, they release garbage like a new UI that nobody asked for, and cosmetic garbage like dice skins.

I've accepted that this isn't a story of a rag-tag team of indie developers just trying to find their stride before they really start delivering content & bugfixes.  I've accepted that shoddy bug-laden releases and M.I.A. content are what we can expect in the future, because that's exactly what they've given us in the past.

I'm done with this game.  I'd invite you to do the same.  Because it's not going to get better.

Spend your money towards F2P developers that don't deliver absolute dog**** when it comes to buggy releases, missing content (AD4?  Is it July yet?);  and instead spend their development time on useless features that NOBODY asks for like dice skins and an obviously untested & unpolished magnified smartphone UI.

Edited by kent1146
  • Like 2

Thanks for your help!

Spend your gold on chests.

Characters and adventure packs should be purchased with money.

Yes, you could grind gold, save up, and get all of the content in the game without spending any real money. But the game developers don't work for free, and create games like this just to see how many people can get as much content for free as they can.

If you like the game, buy something and send some money to Obsidian to support their work. You aren't FORCED to spend any real money. But do it anyway, because it's the right thing to do.

----------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

I'd advise you to quit this game, and forget it ever existed.

Believe me, I **LOVED** this game before the latest patch.  But it's clear that the game developers simply do not prioritize fixing bugs, or delivering promised content.  Instead, they release garbage like a new UI that nobody asked for, and cosmetic garbage like dice skins.

I've accepted that this isn't a story of a rag-tag team of indie developers just trying to find their stride before they really start delivering content & bugfixes.  I've accepted that shoddy bug-laden releases and M.I.A. content are what we can expect in the future, because that's exactly what they've given us in the past.

I'm done with this game.  I'd invite you to do the same.  Because it's not going to get better.

Spend your money towards F2P developers that don't deliver absolute dog**** when it comes to buggy releases, missing content (AD4?  Is it July yet?);  and instead spend their development time on useless features that NOBODY asks for like dice skins and an obviously untested & unpolished magnified smartphone UI.

I "like" the original post, not the edited one (for what it's worth).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another tip: Start with smaller parties . Solo with Kyra or possibly Merisiel. Don't focus on winning because it is almost impossible, just build up decks and forfeit before you are forced to forfeit, just don't die.

After a while you'll have a decent deck that will result in wins about 1/3 to 1/2 the time in normal mode. Again forfeit if it looks like you're about to die, otherwise all that work is lost and you have to start from scratch. This game is perma-hardcore mode.

Or go with 2 man (Kyra + other such as an arcane or warrior type) this is a good balance of versatility without having the deck overstacked against you (well not much more than usual.)

A full party is much harder to win with. You don't have enough time, many banes thrive against large parties (i.e. all party members lose 4 cards before they act).

When you get a decent card for ANOTHER character, forfeit, manage the party, add the other character and trade up. The remove the other character and continue with your mains.

And get used to RNG woes. I have yet to see a bane roll anything but a 4 on d4. 200 rolls and counting. Also ran into boss first character, first turn 11 times now. And then boss again on the 1st turn of the second character directly after. You'll be amazed at how many checks you fail by 1 or 2....or how many 1's you'll roll on 6 dice. Suck it up and keep going.

Want to add another character that fares well after a few upgrades is Seoni. Her crusade lets you winnow through location decks at high speed at the cost of rewards, and her self buff (+d6 to any check) has a decent chance of drawing a blessing and therefore recharging. Granted you'll wince when you discard her only Cure 3 games in a row the first draw as I did..or two draws in a row discard her only weapons...but she is pretty hardy.

Oh and customize the decks before you start...all basics are available...i.e. Seoni swap her weapons for all maces, make sure her spell is Cure, choose allies that are more globally useful (i.e. a stat check bonus versus a single skill check, etc...) it will help you get thru that initial rough early days.

Edited by Tiltowait
  • Like 1

Going solo on quest mode isn't such a good idea early. Less boons to encounter, less exp because of less banes, if you RNG some damage-first boss you're screwed, or RNG a location you're hero sucks at closing

Solo only on experienced character with efficient deck later on.