You don't lose to much, but some quests have better solutions if you have the right dialog options available, every quest can be solved by a 3 intelligence invalid, the solution just isn't always as satisfactory.

I would add as well that the qualifiers on the event panels that come up during various sequences are often related to different stats other than intelligence/resolve, so the opportunity to roleplay is there no matter what route you take.  The event panels in The White March expansion are really good, they often take into account abilities, stats, items, or various other things.  

Edited by Climhazzard

Darn... I like roleplay but find difficult playing the priest.... maybe because I want him to be the MAIN character right from the start... perhaps with the right group he'd do fine... I'm confused.... Anyway, the monk I tried had 15 int... he had dialog options, just not those meant for a priest or a scholar...

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

Crossbows, arbalests, firearms do huge amounts of damages (and thus are ok for high DR foes) but are really, really slow. And they need to be reloaded. I use them, but only with my tanks at the start of combat; one shot, then switch to melee weapons, and engage ennemies. Though, i tend to do this less and less since some of my party members have other stuff to do at start of combat: like using an ability, or casting a spell. Even with high dex, these weapons will be slow. Though their DPS may not be lower than that of a bow, due to the amount of damages done. But i tend to think that such slow ranged weapons are a bad pick for a spell caster. The reason is that once you have fired your bullet, you will be hindered by a long recovery time before being able to cast a spell. I like my casters to be reactive and able to cast when i really need it (therefore, i use bows or magic implements, which are way faster).

As an addendum to this: note that the recovery time for War Bow, Rod, Crossbow, Arbalest and all guns is the same. Reload time does differ, but since that can be interrupted at any time that doesn't matter so much for being able to quickly react with an appropriate spell. There are actually just three weapon base recovery duration categories:

- short: all 'fast' melee weapons

- medium: all other melee weapons, hunting bow, scepter, wand

- long: all other ranged weapons

The 'medium' duration is 1.5 times that of 'short', and 'long' is 1.5 times the duration of 'medium' (so 2.25 times 'short').

Reload time seems like endless to me. While I'm there loading my crossbow, they've just minced me to pieces.... sigh... That's why I prefer monk now... no reload, just fists, fast hits, strong resilience... if only he was a man of faith....:(

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

The game isn't really meant to be soloed until you're very experienced, that's why you feel slow.  Your best level 1 spells are group oriented, your first good spell for soloing is probably consecrated ground in the tier 2 spells, but you'll still be slow if you aren't duel wielding fast weapons.  

Monk fists count as duel wielding and have a fast attack speed, but he won't solo his way through the game either.

Generally you want some frontline classes, 1 or 2 specced to tank and 1 or 2 specced to do damage.  I prefer 3 total.

Paladin-Fighter-Chanter-Monk-Barbarian-Rogue

Paladin-Chanter are my favorite tanks.  Give them a shield and heavy armor like plate, get the hold the line talent so they can engage 2 enemies or more with items.

Monk-Barbarian are my favorite frontline damage dealers.  Wear medium armor and dual wield some good weapons (fists are great for monk), pike is a good non duel wield option for Barbarian.

You'll want a priest for buffing and protecting against status effects.

A spellcaster or two like wizard-druid.

A ranged damage dealer or two like ranger-cipher.

Don't bother wearing robes on any class until you're experienced with the game, use hide or better even if it slows you down a little.

You can get Aloth and Eder within 5 minutes of entering Gilded Vale,  Durance is in the area just south of Gilded Vale, Kana 2 areas east.  With them your party will number 5, you'll find the temple much easier, as well as all the quests around Gilded Vale.

I don't know about easier difficulties, but on Hard or PotD the Temple of Eothas is easily the hardest thing you can do at a low level, and near impossible solo.

Edited by Climhazzard

Nonono sorry, my words were poorly chosen.... I meant that my character, even though he's a cleric and a healer, can't take care of himself... I feel like he's got too many things to do... Let's make an example: Combat starts, I cast a spell... maybe something like hold monster... but it lasts roughly 10 secs... just the time to attack once or twice with a bow... not much damage though... 'round 20 dmg... then he comes for me and I suffer like 40 damages and my icon becomes red. I need to refill endurance, and lose another action, while he attacks me again, I'm near death now... I attack again and kill the poor little spider...  I'm forced to rest or I'm torn in two... I mean... is this the way the cleric has to fight his way to 6th level? With the monk, it was like... punch...punch again, punch again... maybe suffer 3 dmg... enemy killed....  I can't understand where I'm doing wrong...

Darn... I like roleplay but find difficult playing the priest.... maybe because I want him to be the MAIN character right from the start... perhaps with the right group he'd do fine... I'm confused.... Anyway, the monk I tried had 15 int... he had dialog options, just not those meant for a priest or a scholar...

Depends of what you mean by MAIN. As i said before, it depends of how you can feel satisfaction with a build.

My priestess is not a pure Damage dealer. But since she is versatile (spells, distance, melee) and efficient in all these roles, she is the very core of my party, she is the most critical member of the group to deal with encounters (and she can qualify for most diaogue options). And that's how i feel satisfaction. If you look more for a big damage dealer that can solo encounters and say "look guys, this is how you give punches" (and this is actually pretty satisfactory to me, too), then, i would suggest not to play a priest (even though you'll definitely need one in your party). Priests will never be the big damage dealer of any group.

Nonono sorry, my words were poorly chosen.... I meant that my character, even though he's a cleric and a healer, can't take care of himself... I feel like he's got too many things to do... Let's make an example: Combat starts, I cast a spell... maybe something like hold monster... but it lasts roughly 10 secs... just the time to attack once or twice with a bow... not much damage though... 'round 20 dmg... then he comes for me and I suffer like 40 damages and my icon becomes red. I need to refill endurance, and lose another action, while he attacks me again, I'm near death now... I attack again and kill the poor little spider...  I'm forced to rest or I'm torn in two... I mean... is this the way the cleric has to fight his way to 6th level? With the monk, it was like... punch...punch again, punch again... maybe suffer 3 dmg... enemy killed....  I can't understand where I'm doing wrong...

It's normal, even more at the start of the game. Priests become powerful in a group. That's why i suggested you to take weapon + shield + weapon/shield style If you are to do a melee priest, since in this case, you definitely need the deflection of a good shield. Or you won't survive :) unless you have a group with you to take care of the foes that come after you. If you prefer the squishie type with a bow of priest, then you will have to gather a group as soon as possible, like said Climhazzard.

It seems that the IA use to focus the character of your party that has the less Health/endurance/Damage Resistance/ Deflection. Which means that if you don't want a squishie to be targeted, then make him tanky :o.

And yeah, the temple of Eothas is really, really hard. Don't go alone. In hard, i struggled in it with Eder, Aloth, Durance, and my PC as a lvl 3 party.

EDIT: more precision, i'll tell about my own experience. My melee priest was actually fighting with a bow until lvl 4/5, because she was not sturdy enough before this point. But at level 6, while fighting the giant drake Cail the silent, after she cast several spells, she tanked the giant drake with Eder in melee, and survived. That's it. I gradually took melee oriented talents at level up and she became more and more potent as time passed. Monks are great since the start. But they are great in their own thing. They won't ever be able to do anything else than their own thing: give punches. In the end, once more, it's a matter of choice and play style.

Edited by Abel

Cleric with weapon/shield? mmmm.. I could but... sounds like stereotype to me... mace and shield.... typical cleric... I'll think about it... 

So you too chose an elf to start with... Did you follow a build or built it to your own taste? I chose eothas as a deity, hoping the suggested behavior don't impede me much... I recognize what you said... Monks are effective only in battle while cleric are very versatile, thus a steeper learning curve... You made me think about it, you have a point.

The first thing i chose was the roleplay aspect of my character (backstory, which i wanted linked to Eothas. I scribbled her story on a paper beforehand, and then started writting her diary in the journal in game (in the notes). And it's starting to be quite long :p), and after that i wanted to play a classical warrior/priest in Baldur's gate style. I spent many hours brainstorming about my build and items in order to make it enjoyable and efficient. I read these forums, but i built it myself. Though it's not optimal attribute wise (not min/max in the slightest)

I will recognize that it's not always easy to play in combat. Actually because you have many options, and at the end of the combat, i use to think "hum... i did not have the time to do everything i wanted". That's pretty much part of the fun actually. I have many solutions for each problem, and many ways to handle encounters.

If you feel at ease with a monk, play a monk. I know i never liked monks. And in Pillars, i don't like the idea to play a masochist ^^. I can't imagine my pale elf scarring herself with a knife for whatever reason.

Hahaha nono, please don't scar the poor elf! But tell me... The elf has resistance to ice and fire if I'm correct... Do you find it useful? And about other abilities... What do you prefer? Athletics, lore...

Useful, i don't know. It's not this often that i'm struck by cold spells or fire. But since i wear a breastplate which is weak against fire and cold... it helps me having balanced damage resistance in every damage type (currently around 16 with exceptional breastplate. It's because i have bilestompers boots that give corrode resistance, and because i shock proofed the armor). But i like passive bonuses like this because they are reliable. Much better in my own taste that bonuses like "when conditions X and Y are completed, then you get bonus Z". Matter of taste.

Concerning skills... well she is a priest, and an aristocrat, and according to the backstory i wrote for her it only made sense that i focus on the lore, like i focus Sagani on survival. lvl 10, she has 10 lore, 3 stealth, 4 athletics, 6 survival (well, because white that wends) and 0 mechanics i guess. This allows her to cast average level mage or druid spells with scrolls. Fireball scrolls are not this expensive to craft and it adds to her versatility. But once again, Pallegina, Eder and Aloth have priest scrolls in their quick slots (the prayers against all afflictions), in order to not be in a pinch if my priestess is incapacitated in combat by some status effect like paralyzed.

• Like 1

Wow, I really have to say you just prepared it all very well.... You even built a story around it... Chapeau! Well I might do the same... You inspired me to play with a bit more... Let's say... Foreplanning. Now... Sure things are: aeothas or magran... Elven priest with the same statistics as I told you before... Maybe ecclesiastic background... Which adds to lore... Mm should work, and I'll try to take my companions early on. I'll tell you how I fare.

It's the same with all casters: the beginning is difficult. Later on you will be amazed I guess.

It's because you will have very few spells per rest and also a very limited range of spell effect when you start. Later on you can have a spell for every situation, with more powerful effects - and a lot more uses per rest.

A priest is also great when he's alone - just use his awesome buffs and healings on himself. Of course it's more effective to have a party, but even solo he rocks.

I'll give you an example: if you combine Shining Beacon with Spark the Souls and Triumph of the Crusaders you turn from a wet noodle into a sturdy DPS monster. Shining Beacon does a lot of damage - like Spark the Souls - while you can do other things - like hitting stuff with a two hander. You don't care for defenses but you concentrate on killing foes because Triumph of the Crusaders heals you completely (more than 300 endurance usually) once you kill - which happens every few secs because fire and shock fry your surroundings. You wouldn't believe it when you look at your puny little lvl1 priest, but he can turn into something very powerful.

Monks on the other hand start off very strong compared to other classes because their starting stats are the highest in the game (ACC, Deflection, Endurance, Health - all top notch) and one of their most powerful abilities, Torment's Reach, is there for from lvl 1 on.

That's also a reason why fighters feel powerful when you start the game: high starting stats like a monk (even higher deflection, but less endurance) and a powerful passive self heal, paired with either CC per encounter (Knockdown) or a significant boost in ACC (Barrage).

Priests have very poor starting stats and you can feel it immediately in the early game. And because they can't make up for that with spells (yet), they feel inferior and weak. But they are not if you look at the whole game. In fact they are a very, very powerful.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Today I haven't played at all due to the fact that this evening I'm on a nightshift, and slept the whole day ;) I'll try to put this into practice once I take the game again. If I understand correctly what you say, you are telling me that every casting class has a hard time at the beginning while outshining the normal melee classes while gaining levels. I'll see this for myself as soon as I try bringing my toon on in the game. Thanks for your help!

Yeah that's pretty much it. :)

However, fighters and such can be better at specialized tasks - like long lasting, pure tanking for example. But generally speaking all the "per rest" casters' progression curve (concerning power) is steeper than that of others.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods