Lightsabers

Revan's style is a stance difficult to master.

When I was learning Korean style sword fighting, one of my teachers showed me that style.

It has several advantages over the traditional two handed grip with the sword held in front of you. In the traditional stance there are two main attacks, the first is the over head slash/diagonal overhead slash where you bring your sword up and down at your opponent's head or shoulder. This in itself is difficult since if your opponent is holding his sword out in front of him you risk impaling yourself, so most of the time you begin with a fast and sharp hit against your opponent's sword then quickly do the vertical slash. The other main attack is knocking the opponent's sword aside then quickly lunging with a stab. Also a very risky move.

Its difficult to do a horizontal slash or upwards diagonal slash from the traditional position because because you have to bring your arms out to your side which leaves huge openings for your opponent.

The style Revan used however is different. Picture the stance in your head. From that position, it is difficult for the opponent to knock your sword away from you. Since it is close to your body. It is difficult for the opponent to predict your next move. Imagine your opponent steps in with a quick overhead vertical or diagonal slash. From Revan's position he can either stab quickly multiple times at the throat of the opponent(People who have played Mitsuguri on Soul Caliber 2 and 3 can picture it) or he can bring his lightsaber down then upwards into a upwards vertical/diagonal slash which is difficult to avoid. Even if your opponent is super-fast with the overhead slash, you are in a better position to block.

Lets say your opponent attacks with a stab, since Revan's position leaves some room for the opponent to move in. He can quickly sidestep and deliver a devastating downwards vertical slash from the flank, or better yet sidestep and deliver a upwards slash cutting of the opponent's hand. Revan's position, by not having the lightsaber in front of him, taunts and tempts the opponent to move in and attack.

If the opponent move in with a horizontal slash or diagonal upwards slash, Revan can simply block by bringing his lightsaber down and up in his own vertical upwards slash. Vertical upward slashes block both horizontal attacks and vertical upwards slashes and given the right amount of force and twists of your wrists, can knock your opponents blade away giving you a chance to attack.

Revan's stance offers smooth transitions into stabs, vertical downward and upward slashes. It also seemingly leaves maneavering room for your opponent in front of you, enticing them to move forward and attack.

The drawback is that you must be incredibly fast and precise with your movements. Its a stance that leaves no real room for errors. More so with a lightsaber.

Revan's style is a stance difficult to master.

<snip>

The style Revan used however is different. Picture the stance in your head.

<snip>

I think this is the stance that Azure79 is referring to.

I think masked Revan used this stance with the other hand tho.

If this is right, thanks to Azure79 for the analysis.

Galen

post-1710-1093364790_thumb.jpg

10 standard colors? :)

now we're definitely getting PINK! :D

Yay. :):) :ph34r:

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

I might be putting what I want to say in the wrong thread but it seems to fit best here.

Everbody is making such a big deal about sabers and stuff, but what if I want to make a blaster jedi, will they be able to compare at all to a lightsaber jedi.

Blaster jedi was quite possible in the first kotor

Great find there, that looks like Revan's style. Must be a brutal offensive killing style. I also wanna see if Malak's stance is in, I felt kinda down fighting him--the guy was losing, but he looked dang cool fighting me back. Why do I, his master, have to look so slow and cumbersome compared to his crazy single-handed style?

Hey, I also like Malak's flourish, are flourishes gonna change with your style? Akari said the default standing stance is modified by your current style. How about flourishes? I wanna flourish Malak and Revan's style!

i agree with azure79 revans saber stance would be good for counter attacks but attacks form that position would have a small chance of making contact without being blocked or dodged by the opponent

When using Revans stance you first wait for you opponent to attack so they are leaving themselves open for attack then you attack. Thats why it's difficult to master it because if you don't have extremely fast reactions you are going to be beaten very easily.

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.