My impression of quest mode

First of all, kudos to the devs to get out the patch so quickly, I hadn't expected it so soon.

So now I finally had the opportunity to test quest mode, here is what I think about it:

• Overall I like the idea of playing random scenarios for xp and leveling up my characters over time.
  • Right now a character that dies gets experience, but not the rewards from leveling. That can potentially permanently gimp him, and so I'm currently pressing Forfeit as soon as a character dies. I think that is a bug, and hope that it gets fixed. A dead character simply not getting any experience would be okay.
  • I consider Pathfinder Adventures to be a game that has a relatively high degree of randomness. Yes, there is some skill involved, but if all the henchmen are at the bottom of their location decks or you keep rolling 1s your skill doesn't help you much. In story mode I don't mind that so much, because the rewards for winning a scenario aren't so great. In quest mode winning or losing makes a huge difference, as you don't get any experience points if you lose. That seems rather unfair to me, especially when I lose games to random bad luck. And I don't see the logic of characters not gaining any experience if they adventure without killing the final boss. Something like "you get only half the experience if you don't win" would be a lot better, I think.
  • Somewhat related to the above, as winning is too important in quest mode, it has to be remarked that your statistical probability of winning depends on your group size. 4 is about optimum, and a group of 2 or a group of 6 has significantly reduced chance of winning the game. Again, that is fine for experimentation in story mode, but not ideal in quest mode.
  • Like 1

My opinion is it is fun, but since none of my parties save it is useless.

What do you mean? You get to keep the cards regardless and get exp when winning. I agree with the idea of receiving some exp when losing but it's not a deal-breaker... After some time farming the cards, e part will evetually strong enough to beat the quest.

While I think four is good, I find it he easiest to do a duo. I get to advance in both adventure and quest with two-man party fairly easier then a party with more people. It's just less locations with two heroes who can beat every monster they see while not discarding is much easier to deal with.

I found story mode with a 6 group to be a challenge but do-able, pre-patch. The scenarios were easy enough and rewarded what was needed for following scenarios.

Post-patch, now quest mode works, I found a 6 group in quest mode near impossible as they start with basic gear and are expected to confront higher level cards and still be aggressive with exploration.

A 3 group is a good start point, I have 2 or 3 groups going at first tier of levels (1-10) that I will selectively join together to eventually give me a full party that can succeed while giving me a challenge at higher levels.

Edited by Splat Cat AU

My opinion is it is fun, but since none of my parties save it is useless.

The parties aren't saved, but the individual characters are.  Unfortunately you have to manually assemble the party before each restart of Quest Mode.  I would much prefer if they did save the parties like they do in Story Mode.

Mine aren't. My characters disappear.

@escata: no, cards are in your gallery regardless of "finding". You need story or treasure chests to get new ones. Farming gold in quest mode is useless if I have to spend hours boosting characters to farm.

Quests are working for me since the update - thanks Dev.

The only use I see in playing Quest mode is getting gold.  If you need to farm your story party better gear, which from what I can tell is ALL you can farm for in story mode, then Quest mode is useful in as much as you can farm for gold and use that to buy chests.  Of course, Quest mode is harder to me than story mode and it takes me four or five attempts to get through a story scenario, so I don't foresee being able to use Quest mode gold farming very well.

Add info you find/want to the Pathfinder Adventures wiki

Mine aren't. My characters disappear.

@escata: no, cards are in your gallery regardless of "finding". You need story or treasure chests to get new ones. Farming gold in quest mode is useless if I have to spend hours boosting characters to farm.

So they are not even under the Experienced tab?

Apologies but I do not quite get what you are saying.... If I fail in the quest mode, it's quite like the Story mode - no exp but I get to update the deck for each char with new cards encountered in the quest. So even I keep failing, after a few quests, I got rid of the most cards in the default deck for each char and they are pretty strong to do normal quests. That's when I start to get winning and levelling up.

I understand the vault part, it's just people are having trouble in finding cards in AD1 and beyond in quest mode, even they are already unlocked in story. I not there yet so I can't really comment. And also another myth is whether to open chest or save them for better drop rate, as I am still waiting to see if anyone comes up with some verified comments.

Edited by esctab

Nope, gone. When I scroll over on EXP there is (oddly) only characters I added to parties in Story mode, but they don't have any of the boosts that make them experienced.

Now THAT is weird... I think you need to submit a ticket in the tech section as that's definitely a bug from you description...

I´ve played the quest mode around 20 or 30 times by now but all the itens i´ve found are B itens. Did someone find any better loot or it´s a bug?

You need to get the characters to around 10 to unlock tier 1, which is the equivalent to AD 1.

• Like 1