Why are there so many bugs?

Howlix

Question

Firstly I would like to start this off by saying I'm an avid fan of the tabletop version of this game. I have all complete sets so far and kickstarted apocrypha the day it was announced. You guys have done a fantastic job bringing this game to the digital format. I love this game when it's working properly.

And therein lies the problem...the bugs... There was a beta (which I didn't get into despite applying) and presumably the game was pushed back repeatedly to address feedback from it. The bugs experienced by almost everyone so far should have been evident in beta. So why were they not addressed? Was the final version released on the App Store not tested prior? Was the beta test pool too small? When can we expect a patch to fix the issues that can sometimes make this game almost unplayable? What is the air speed velocity of a swallow?

I was so ready to drop the money for the full adventure path unlock, but like many others I'm proceeding down the free to play route instead. Please fix the game asap so I can throw some money at you.

*smooches*

Howlix

Edited by Howlix

6 answers to this question

Was the final version released on the App Store not tested prior?

The African or the European App Store? Mine seems to work fine.

All kidding aside, there are indeed several bugs, but I guess that is to be expected. So many interactions between cards... I had hoped, however, that the gamebreaking bugs would've been gone by now, but they haven't. I threw my money at them already in the hopes this will get fixed sooner than later, but I assume it will. What I've seen (the core game) I like very much.

I don't know much about programming, if anything, but I'm seeing now that Magic Duels still hasn't gotten rid of the bugs. These games are quite complex and must be coordinated well.

I don't know much about programming either, but I DO know that the beta, in its final form, was actually working better than the release version is so far. So I'm pretty mystified at what could have happened. Like many others, I would love to get the full campaign... but right now I'm holding off.

Whether or not I decide to give them money depends on two things-

1) Fix the bugs, especially the ones that weren't even in the beta.

2) Don't take forever to release the rest of the adventure packs.

I don't know much about programming either, but I DO know that the beta, in its final form, was actually working better than the release version is so far. So I'm pretty mystified at what could have happened. Like many others, I would love to get the full campaign... but right now I'm holding off.

Whether or not I decide to give them money depends on two things-

1) Fix the bugs, especially the ones that weren't even in the beta.

2) Don't take forever to release the rest of the adventure packs.

1) They did add new stuff that were Nessesary to the release version and that causes new bugs... But yeap. A beta test for the "release" version would have been usefull. But that would have mean that the game could have come to the shops at least one month later than it did this time...

2) fixing bugs takes time away of making new adventure packs. So if we find new bugs it will delay the next scenarios. And because next scenario will come with new bugs it will mean that the scenario after that will be delayed somewhat.

This is even more complex game than Magic the Gathering so it will take some time untill most of the stuff get fixed. Many location, character, card, power interactions that can conflict each others.

From my perspective the most important thing next is save back up, so you can go back when something goes horrible wrong and a program this complex something always goes horrible wrong at some point.

Then normal bug hunting and the next scenario. It does not help, if the next scenario is released and you have to start From level 0 because the save file get so badly corrupted that you have to always start From the Beginning. So it would be better to have fail safe backup system and after that release new content.

I don't think that this kind of program can never be bug free, so better be ready for that next "everything goes south" situation.

I would say that even now this is very playable program, but Sooner or later it can get annoying to be forsed to start again From the very Beginning. If you lose one or two scenarios, that is not so bad.

My favorite game in this year so far even at this moment! I personally did get the season pass allready just because of that.

This is even more complex game than Magic the Gathering so it will take some time untill most of the stuff get fixed. 

Having played both, I would respectfully disagree. There are more possible weird card interactions in Magic the Gathering than in Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. Having said that, my iPad version of Magic Duels was so bugged that I couldn't connect to any server for two months last year. So in comparison Pathfinder Adventures is doing better.  :yes:

Did the beta version have the quest mode or only the story mode? The quest mode isn't working for me at all, but apparently its getting patched in the next update.

This is even more complex game than Magic the Gathering so it will take some time untill most of the stuff get fixed. 

Having played both, I would respectfully disagree. There are more possible weird card interactions in Magic the Gathering than in Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. Having said that, my iPad version of Magic Duels was so bugged that I couldn't connect to any server for two months last year. So in comparison Pathfinder Adventures is doing better.  :yes:

Did the beta version have the quest mode or only the story mode? The quest mode isn't working for me at all, but apparently its getting patched in the next update.

The last two beta versions had the quest mode. And it was working nearly flawlessly in the last version. That's one of the things that has me so confused as to why its messed up again.

Without getting too deep into the nitty gritty, we always strive to ship as bug-free a game as possible. It's something that we are quite passionate about. That being said, there are a number of bugs that we were not able to catch until the game was widely distributed. We are putting together a patch to address these issues.

This is a living game that will have regular updates that will include bugfixes and new content.