Ok, let's settle it once and for all: ROMANCES.

How important are romances to you?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. How important are romances to you?

• VERY important. I really, really want to see them in KOTORII!
    • Somewhat important. They're entertaining, but not critical.
    • I don't care either way.
    • I kinda disliked them in the first game, but to each their own.
    • GET RID OF THEM! I don't like 'em one bit.

Annah was boring while Fall From Grace was exciting? You're Psychotic. Truly barmy freakin' MAD!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Eh, let me get this straight. In PS:T, your character only gets some small fragments that might indicate that there's a romance?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well, yeah. I guess that would be fair to say. Maybe a little more than that, but it's definitely backseat to the rest of the story.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

AFA the Bastila/Revan Romance, it was actually done very well, (except the ending of the game completely ignoring it, which just about ruins the rest) if you take it in its proper context.

1) The KOTOR story took weeks or months of "real-time" presented in 25-40 hours of game time. Much down-time available therefor long conversations and games and friendship while traversing hyperspace.

2) The character was portrayed true to her nature: brash, passionate and "quick to get involved"

3) They were trying to illustrate the dynamic of a Lifebond without making it so central the game was ruined without it. That's tough by any standards.

With all that, I sure haven't played a game with an optional romance done better or more believably than that one.

Yes, it could have still been better with a few simple additions. If you go out of your way to save the love interest in combat when overwhelmed, getting a thank you and bonus "romance points" would have been very nice. Perhaps the ability to buy the love interest presents as a way of also gaining "romance points" for example. Spend some of those piles of creds on nice jewelry or somesuch? And some sort of indicator/meter when talking how well you're doing, like a colored heart at the beginning of personal or cut-scene dialogs? Maybe take a lesson from the old Harvest Moon series there? Or am I just crazy? I don't think so, considering the percentage leaning in favor of romance, that the more developed the romance and engine for it are, the better.

[/pseudo-rant]

um... thanks for listening?

Eh, let me get this straight. In PS:T, your character only gets some small fragments that might indicate that there's a romance?

With Fall-From-Grace, yes and even after all this time we cannot be sure of it being a romance or not.

Annah was diferent, there is definitly a romance there and she stays with TNO because of that, even to her death.

Also there are others, Ravel and Deionarra that love TNO and even if not joinable NPCs their love drives the story and its as intregal part of the game as everything else.

Of course that TNO is not forced to take the romances, Deionarra did love TNO but his previous incarnation just used her ... he had no love for her and used her feelings for his own gains, nothing stops your from trying the same angle with Annah.

drakron.png

um... thanks for listening?

*tip of the hat

It's not all that hard to listen.

It's true. Since we're simply going to have romances in our games, no one can really argue with the idea that the romances should be well done. What the definition of a "well done" romance is remains a matter for debate.

Drakron: Yep, there was a lot of romance swirling around PS:T. It wasn't in your face most of the time, but it was there.

Obsidian Plays

With Fall-From-Grace, yes and even after all this time we cannot be sure of it being a romance or not.

Annah was diferent, there is definitly a romance there and she stays with TNO because of that, even to her death.

Also there are others, Ravel and Deionarra that love TNO and even if not joinable NPCs their love drives the story and its as intregal part of the game as everything else.

Of course that TNO is not forced to take the romances, Deionarra did love TNO but his previous incarnation just used her ... he had no love for her and used her feelings for his own gains, nothing stops your from trying the same angle with Annah.

To put it short then, it was subtle. I just kept wondering why so many like it in the first place.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I liked the romance in PS: T just fine. It all went into the story is what I liked, which didn't really happen in KOTOR. There's Carth-Leviathan, sure, but you get the EXACT same scene with SLIGHTLY different undercurrents to the same conversation later. The only integration into the plot the Bastila romance has is at the very end, or if you get 1/1 million lucky, at the temple - even if THAT one happens, though, it's still pretty minor. I couldn't really pinpoint what it is that's missing in the KOTOR romance, I just know the Carth half proposal thing seemed really out of place to me. The more intimate conversations with Bastila, as self-imposed as she is, could have actually had some intimate undercurrents, you know? Nothing really seemed intimate or even FORCED to avoid intimacy until the kiss/starforge scenes. No, I couldn't say how you would change that - maybe it's just the voice acting. Then again, before that there was only the parents/past conversation that was faintly intimate. No way to know what the Dev time/limitations were, but those were problems as I saw it.

The way I see it, over all: the Carth romance was awkwardly to the side, the Bastila romance was too front and center.

The only integration into the plot the Bastila romance has is at the very end, or if you get 1/1 million lucky, at the temple - even if THAT one happens, though, it's still pretty minor.

Actually, that's a bug in the game... to get it 100% of the time, don't talk about what happened between you after the fade-to-black screen. If you do, a bug partially bombs out the romance plot.

I'll get back on topic now, I swear. 8)

I even take Anomen over Carth.

Bite your tongue. NOTHING tops Anomen for being a misguided romance; how anyone at Bioware thought people would find that tight-ass attractive is beyond me.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Bite your tongue. NOTHING tops Anomen for being a misguided romance; how anyone at Bioware thought people would find that tight-ass attractive is beyond me.

Anomen is damaged goods as well, the diference is that Anomen tries to act as he think he sould act as a knight and Carth is just "untrusting".

Anomen requires we look deep because its not on the surface withi is the major diference of Carth and Anomen, in Carth case its everything on the surface, if you try to see Carth beyond what he shows there is nothing there as Anomen hides a lot and to know his past (as so his motivation) we must do his "knighthood" subquest and one way or another we can mold Anomen future.

As a NPC he is clearly superior to Carth, Carth is a clich

drakron.png

They're probably afraid to comment.

Given how BIG an issue Romances seem to be, I can't say I blame them. Especially since everything they say will be looked under a microscope thriceover and interpreted a dozen ways.

"Especially since everything they say will be looked under a microscope thriceover and interpreted a dozen ways."

You exaggerate at the LOW end. :D

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.