Boots of speed and attacking faster

Been looking at boots of speed.. looks like they just make the character move faster, not fight faster.

Don't really see the point of one or two party members moving faster than every one else, when you have to wait for the rest of the party to catch up anyway?

Is there anything in the game which makes party members attack faster ?

The main benefit of boots of speed is moving around swifter if you are scouting with a single scout rather than moving the entire party all the time. They can also be handy for characters that need to reposition often in combat.

If you want to attack faster, potions of power (+20% attack speed) or potion of deleterious alacrity of motion (+50% attack speed) can be bought or crafted, and you might be lucky enough to find Gauntlets of Swift Action (+15% attack speed) as random loot.

Moreover, a wizard can cast Deleterious Alacrity of Motion on himself with a 3rd level spell (so from level 5+), and a druid with access to 7th level spells (level 13+) can create consumables usable by everybody that give +20% attack speed.

Finally there is always stacking dexterity via equipment, resting bonuses, or food - this provides a 3% bonus to action speed per point and action speed is superior to attack speed, as it affects everything the character does when taking an action.

Edited by pi2repsion
  • Like 2

When I said death before dishonour, I meant it alphabetically.

Yeah in my current playthrough I have one pair of the boots that I have on the stealthiest character to scout and position like pi2repsion said, though I am finding that I need to take them off if stealthing as a group to avoid bootsy from running off ahead of the others or getting in their way.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I find boots of speed to be extremely useful on my melee mage. You can feasibly break engagement now and actually escape, you can quickly position yourself to hit non-party friendly AOEs,  you can quickly flank and target the weaker characters standing at the back, etc. I don't think there are better boots which is why I'm glad I found two pairs of em.

The main benefit of boots of speed is moving around swifter if you are scouting with a single scout rather than moving the entire party all the time. They can also be handy for characters that need to reposition often in combat.

If you want to attack faster, potions of power (+20% attack speed) or potion of deleterious alacrity of motion (+50% attack speed) can be bought or crafted, and you might be lucky enough to find Gauntlets of Swift Action (+15% attack speed) as random loot.

Moreover, a wizard can cast Deleterious Alacrity of Motion on himself with a 3rd level spell (so from level 5+), and a druid with access to 7th level spells (level 13+) can create consumables usable by everybody that give +20% attack speed.

Finally there is always stacking dexterity via equipment, resting bonuses, or food - this provides a 3% bonus to action speed per point and action speed is superior to attack speed, as it affects everything the character does when taking an action.

You seem to know what you're talking about, can you explain how attack speed is derived?

Here's an example. I wield an estoc, have dexterity 16, wear the gauntlets of swift action (+15% attack speed), armor with recovery speed penalty -25%. I cast deleterious alacrity of motion.

How many attacks per second does that amount to?

@Cottonmouth

Every action consists of an animation of the action, a recovery period, and if a firearm, a reload period, each lasting a certain base number of frames modified by several factors.

Dexterity affects everything, attack speed and recovery modifier affects recovery, and reload speed affects reloading.

See this thread:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72272-combat-mechanics-attack-speed-recovery

The following is a link to a shared google spreadsheet with the best information yet derived - so long as nobody has ****ed up editing it, that is. Download a local copy and play with it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vDm5MOrCK6S95h5u0EzZbGTv_u_rYqjuO0-zupqk0_A/edit?pli=1#gid=1264774515

• Like 1

How do I make my mage CASTING speed faster? This seems critical in path of the damned difficulty where some things can 2 shot you and you need that paralysis or heal YESTERDAY.

Also vital when fighting a dragon and trying to get 3-4 spells fast. I am tired of casters casting in slow motion landing their spells when it is too late. I equiped lighter armors but it doesn't seem to help.

Other than maxing dexterity, how do i make my mages CAST spells faster?

How do I make my mage CASTING speed faster? This seems critical in path of the damned difficulty where some things can 2 shot you and you need that paralysis or heal YESTERDAY.

Also vital when fighting a dragon and trying to get 3-4 spells fast. I am tired of casters casting in slow motion landing their spells when it is too late. I equiped lighter armors but it doesn't seem to help.

Other than maxing dexterity, how do i make my mages CAST spells faster?

You can't. The only way you have of improving their casting speed is dexterity, which is why high dexterity is very important for any min-maxed caster.

The recovery time is dealt with by wearing 0% or 5% recovery armour and - for wizards - casting Deleterious Alacrity of Motion.

As for getting that paralysis TODAY rather than YESTERDAY, have your high dex wizard start combat by casting DAOM, (optional Eldritch Aim/Merciless Gaze), Ninagauth's Shadowflame.. and continue unloading fast cast spells till the situation is under control. When a high dex wizard with negligible recovery penalty acts under DAOM, the time it takes to cast fast-cast spells and recover from them is very, very, low. (Of course, it helps with the average and slow cast spells as well, but you don't get that joyous "spamming spells like there's no tomorrow" feeling.)

And DO note that it is possible to craft DAOM potions, so if you really, dearly, and sincerely need another caster to act more like a wizard spamming spells, you can get this with a little bit of effort. The wizard is best at it due to the powerful fast-cast spells, but it is useful for everybody. Heck, it even lets Ciphers use their powers more often as minimizing their recovery means they hit and gain focus more frequently.