Try to use the padded armour that gives Deleterious Alacrity oft Motion and then take the ability that lets you summon two duplicates. You can use the bracers that give 3 DR penetration, too. At the beginning of the fight, shoot your monk. Then let him summon the duplicates. They can use Alacrity now and go abolutely berserk. Bang! Adra Dragon's xaurip friends: dead. Bang! Andragans: dead. Prone Dragon: *punchpunchpunch* also dead! Combine that with other spell Holding items that give bonuses in melee - like displaced vor mirrored image, jolting touch, wreathing flame and so on. It's hilarious. Even forgemaster gloves with firebrand work.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Try to use the padded armour that gives Deleterious Alacrity oft Motion and then take the ability that lets you summon two duplicates. You can use the bracers that give 3 DR penetration, too. At the beginning of the fight, shoot your monk. Then let him summon the duplicates. They can use Alacrity now and go abolutely berserk. Bang! Adra Dragon's xaurip friends: dead. Bang! Andragans: dead. Prone Dragon: *punchpunchpunch* also dead! Combine that with other spell Holding items that give bonuses in melee - like displaced vor mirrored image, jolting touch, wreathing flame and so on. It's hilarious. Even forgemaster gloves with firebrand work.

I don't like putting all the best items on one char. Like to spread it out.

Kage Bunshin on the monk there. I've always found the whole simulacrum cloning trick that never uses up spell slots other than the first spell on BG2 to be hilarious. It takes forever to prepare and can't use those spell sequencers but it was so fun using a single spell to cast so many other spells. I wanted the mage vs mage fights to be much longer so I could use it more.

I thought Essential Phantom would be one of those weak spells but looks like Obsidian remembered the whole simulacrum content. A lot of elements in this game, like fireball, are nostalgic elements for DnD or BG2.

The Planescape Torment spells were hilarious with Full Motion Video at times for the higher ones. I hope Tides will get some of that in.

Also, Barbarian 4 / Monk 16 was one of the multi class mixes in Temple of Elemental Evil or DnD 3.5+ that I liked to use. The monk's trip was very fun since if it hit, it would prone enemies. When those enemies got up, they would get opportunity attacked by my party that surrounded them. Sawyer's revamped monk class feels very strong with the AI option now.

Edited by Ymarsakar

I don't like putting all the best items on one char. Like to spread it out.

Heh? It's not one of the best items - for a normal char who can't clone himself per encounter this armor is meh. It's the fact that the duplicates can use the spell holding every time they get summoned - even if the monk used the 1-per-rest-charge already.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Some quick questions regarding monks if you all don't mind. Does savage attack and dual wield ( the talent that grants 20% speed) work with monks unarmed fists?

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Some quick questions regarding monks if you all don't mind. Does savage attack and dual wield ( the talent that grants 20% speed) work with monks unarmed fists?

Absolutely .  I am currently running Zahua with Savage attack, Two weapon Fighting and Vulnerable Attack with fists (hatchets for immune crush enemies) and he is an absolute beast.  It is SICK dps.  I am talking like 48 to 60 hits on 10 to 15 DR mobs with every Torments Reach (Turning Wheel extra Fire damage with wounds).  Also auto attacking with high wounds yields very good results obviously not hitting quite as hard as Torments Reach but still up in the 30's per hit on high DR mobs.

The armor I am wearing is very light.  The unique hide armor from the Ogre cave.  Its good enough DR (11) for him to take wounds) and then Iron Wheel kicks in and gives him very high DR which I can either sit on if hes getting focused or just toss a Reinforcing Exhortation from my main on him while he expends wounds on Torments Reach.  It synergizes and flows extremely well.  One of my favorite set ups.   

• Like 3

Have gun will travel.

Absolutely .  I am currently running Zahua with Savage attack, Two weapon Fighting and Vulnerable Attack with fists (hatchets for immune crush enemies) and he is an absolute beast.  It is SICK dps.  I am talking like 48 to 60 hits on 10 to 15 DR mobs with every Torments Reach (Turning Wheel extra Fire damage with wounds).  Also auto attacking with high wounds yields very good results obviously not hitting quite as hard as Torments Reach but still up in the 30's per hit on high DR mobs.

The armor I am wearing is very light.  The unique hide armor from the Ogre cave.  Its good enough DR (11) for him to take wounds) and then Iron Wheel kicks in and gives him very high DR which I can either sit on if hes getting focused or just toss a Reinforcing Exhortation from my main on him while he expends wounds on Torments Reach.  It synergizes and flows extremely well.  One of my favorite set ups.

Good lord, ok I haven't used a monk at all in Pillars. I think it's a hangover from d&d days. I never used them then either. Think I'm going to remedy that soon!

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Good lord, ok I haven't used a monk at all in Pillars. I think it's a hangover from d&d days. I never used them then either. Think I'm going to remedy that soon!

I am telling you.  I pick a mob make Zahua take hits, throw reinforcing exhortation to slow down the damage if its too much and that mob is dead in seconds.  With reinforcing hes got 100 Deflection at lvl 10 its good enough to slow damage now and ensure he doesn't get focused down.

Have gun will travel.

The monk is also a very good primary tank given its modal bonuses to saving throws or deflection, as well as iron wheel. Fist + shield.

It's what actually gave me the idea to make the paladin into a dps tank, because the monk and barbarian are already dps tanks, heavy on the dps, whereas the paladin looks heavy on the healing and the defense part.

The monk was also the reason my level 4 party kept wiping in Dyrford, fighting the human npc party before the bridge. I didn't realize that shooting him literally made him increase his dps with fists. When I read the combat log, torment's reach and that wheel fire bonus was adding up to some ridiculous amounts on the primary solo tank.

I only recently played a monk after that, because of the new AI. Makes the monk into a fire forget missile, vs something that needs to be microed or it dies.

Edited by Ymarsakar