A New Beginning! (Finally)

OK after uninstalling everything related to Pillars followed by almost two full days of downloading the game and patches through 2.1 (GOG) on my $15 a month Internet connection I believe I am finally ready to start a new game.

Of course now I have to decide on a new character which probably means I will start multiple games over the next week or two :p

Atm I am deciding between an Orlan Barbarian, a Moondoggie Paladin (or cipher?), A different cipher, a rogue, and a ranger. I will most likely play on Hard.

Suggestions welcome (not much into min max builds rarely drop any stat below 8)  8)

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I'm considering that after my ranger playthrough of either doing a Nature Godlike Kind Wayfarer Paladin or a Cat Druid of some sort, which of course means I'll be in the same boat as you in re-rolling over the next few weeks.  But onto your issue:

Where do you envision your character coming from and what profession?  I feel this to help immensely in choosing as it helps me to choose the type of 'person' I am playing, and then go from there.  For instance, a cook or fisherman from Old Vailia is going to be quite different to a pirate from the Deadfire Islands.  I find the following thread to be quite helpful to see what backgrounds are available in the game via the dialogue choices you get with Calista:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78795-i-explored-all-character-backgrounds-so-you-dont-have-to/

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Barbarian and rogue are nice, insofar as there are no companions of either class in game.

Cipher has really suffered from excessive nerfs, such that it doesn't seem fun to me anymore, but it's still got one of the coolest mechanics in the game, and is generally just a really fun class.

Ranger came out of the 2.0 update with a huge suite of improvements, and is generally just really great.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I'm considering that after my ranger playthrough of either doing a Nature Godlike Kind Wayfarer Paladin or a Cat Druid of some sort, which of course means I'll be in the same boat as you in re-rolling over the next few weeks.  But onto your issue:

Where do you envision your character coming from and what profession?  I feel this to help immensely in choosing as it helps me to choose the type of 'person' I am playing, and then go from there.  For instance, a cook or fisherman from Old Vailia is going to be quite different to a pirate from the Deadfire Islands.  I find the following thread to be quite helpful to see what backgrounds are available in the game via the dialogue choices you get with Calista:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/78795-i-explored-all-character-backgrounds-so-you-dont-have-to/

Nice! Now I have more studying to do :p    :thumbsup:

Nice! Now I have more studying to do :p    :thumbsup:

Yeah, I can't now create a character without first checking through that to see which background fits best. :D

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Were there changes to Cipher in 2.0+ I'm not aware of? o.o

It was a pretty fun and still quite a powerful character in 1.06.

I would wait with the barbarian idea. Too many bugs in 2.01 makes playing one annoying.

I heard something about a carnage bug something related to AI? Is this what you mean or are there more as well?

Barbarian and rogue are nice, insofar as there are no companions of either class in game.

Cipher has really suffered from excessive nerfs, such that it doesn't seem fun to me anymore, but it's still got one of the coolest mechanics in the game, and is generally just a really fun class.

Ranger came out of the 2.0 update with a huge suite of improvements, and is generally just really great.

Yeah I was specifically interested in Barb & rogue due to general lack of companions (the while march rogue comes pretty late and is going to be unlike any you build yourself :p)

I am a pretty big ranger fan and have started quite a few and the last couple did indeed seem very good - but then there's Sagani and that's the only reason I tend to put them at the lower end of the do this list. 

I'm a pretty big druid fan for these types of games but haven't really had much of a chance to use the druid companion yet either so same thing there and again for cipher - I've only used GM a short time (thanks to restartitius mostly) and she is one I'm pretty sure I want to have along to do her story.

Good to see your optimism.

But there is some issues with Barbies and Werecats.

Barbaric Frenzy\Yell weirdly working atm.

Druid respec bugged.

Wizard, Priest and Druid has spellcasting issues(best of them won't cast at all sometimes when you need them)

Fighter and Monk are not so fun imho. Chanter? Some sort of buff machine now.

Paladin, Ranger, Cipher, Rogue is ok.

Sorry for my bad english.

On my first playthrough I played with a wizard on hard.

On my second playthrough I played a Barbarian and created a Rogue (adventurer).

I loved playing with the characters I created and I believe a custom party might be very enterteining.  

IF you finished the game once, I suggest creating 3-4 party members and using only the companions you like the most.

On my first playthrough I played with a wizard on hard.

On my second playthrough I played a Barbarian and created a Rogue (adventurer).

I loved playing with the characters I created and I believe a custom party might be very enterteining.  

IF you finished the game once, I suggest creating 3-4 party members and using only the companions you like the most.

Took one party to the beginning of Act 3 and also took them to first couple of maps of WM (Pally PC)

Took several more (5-8?) into Act 2 took one down to level 6-7 of Od Nua the others 2-4 levels or so.

Took too many to count through character creation and 1st dungeon + several Act 1 maps :)

Did I mention I'm a chronic restarter? It doesn't bother me tho I enjoy trying out new characters as much as progressing the game - I would like to move the parameters out farther tho so I could make more companion decisions - I'm getting tired of only using just the opening 4 - 5 companions :)

I'm getting tired of only using just the opening 4 - 5 companions original.gif

Protip: you can cut east through Woodend Plains, along the road, and head to Stormwall Gorge to grab Hiravias (and onward to Dyrford and Grieving Mother) before ever entering Defiance Bay. My barb just did it last night.

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

I'm getting tired of only using just the opening 4 - 5 companions original.gif

Protip: you can cut east through Woodend Plains, along the road, and head to Stormwall Gorge to grab Hiravias (and onward to Dyrford and Grieving Mother) before ever entering Defiance Bay. My barb just did it last night.

Yeah did that once myself altho I think I went to Defiance Bay first - in fact it was the only time I had those two in party - that was the group I got to Act 3 (but never started it) - don't think we did any of the Dyrford quests either - was going to come back later for them. 

In other news already had a crash on the new install altho I did have Chrome open with several tabs and it was during a time I was alt/tabbing from one to the other that it froze so could have been something to do with that - 

So far I've got a rogue and a barbarian started the rogue is in GV with Eder and Aloth the Barb just got out of the opening dungeon and needs to level up to 2. Will post some details later.

Nooooo, not a crash! D:

See if closing Chrome helps? I can keep them both open at the same time, but my PC is pretty spick-and-span.

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

I just can't think about a main toon who's not a ranger.  It SO fits me personally.  And there are good rp backgrounds for ranger in any game/fiction universe anywhere.... beginning with Tolkien and going on from there, rangers are quintessential.

If I were a game toon IRL, I'd be a ranger with either a cat or a wolf, depending.  In THIS game, wolf is better than cat.  It's okay, I love both cats and dogs - even though I'm first and foremost a cat people.

Now if somehow this game could just provide me with a horse.... I'm too old to have more horses now IRL, but I do miss them....

I just can't think about a main toon who's not a ranger.  It SO fits me personally.  And there are good rp backgrounds for ranger in any game/fiction universe anywhere.... beginning with Tolkien and going on from there, rangers are quintessential.

If I were a game toon IRL, I'd be a ranger with either a cat or a wolf, depending.  In THIS game, wolf is better than cat.  It's okay, I love both cats and dogs - even though I'm first and foremost a cat people.

Now if somehow this game could just provide me with a horse.... I'm too old to have more horses now IRL, but I do miss them....

I can relate - I have probably started two or more times as many rangers as any other class - I may start another one tomorrow LOL ;)

• Like 1

I can understand the constantly gravitating to the same type of class in these games, even when you want to try something else. It's a barbarain for me, and a few hours into a new game, I can't resist the urge to restart and 'do it right' with a barbarian.

Rangers a good thing to be right now. Pets got some much needed buffs in 2.0, and while they still swing slow, they pack a wallop. Sagani's Fox hits in the 70's by level 14, and it's always useful having some pretty high DR Health-free endurance for the enemy to chew through every fight. Also are blessedly hands off for the most part, so you can focus on micro-managing the more needy classes while still doing amazing damage.Also get a really cool new stance on 13 that lets them shoot two arrows at once. (maybe we can dual class some day for Ranger/Ranger for the Quad shot...)

I can understand the constantly gravitating to the same type of class in these games, even when you want to try something else. It's a barbarain for me, and a few hours into a new game, I can't resist the urge to restart and 'do it right' with a barbarian.

Rangers a good thing to be right now. Pets got some much needed buffs in 2.0, and while they still swing slow, they pack a wallop. Sagani's Fox hits in the 70's by level 14, and it's always useful having some pretty high DR Health-free endurance for the enemy to chew through every fight. Also are blessedly hands off for the most part, so you can focus on micro-managing the more needy classes while still doing amazing damage.Also get a really cool new stance on 13 that lets them shoot two arrows at once. (maybe we can dual class some day for Ranger/Ranger for the Quad shot...)

Or a ranger/druid with fewer spells with choice of Pet or Shapeshift per encounter - :)

• Like 1

Holy Flying Body Parts Batman!  :w00t:

Just ran my rogue back up to clear Valenwood with Eder and Aloth and leveled up to 3 after the bear encounter and took Reckless Assault - I took Peasant earlier and my Island Amaua has dual Hatchets, Bow and Staff equipped (3 slots) - standing behind Eder swinging the staff stuff was flying everywhere LOL - :)

This could be fun!