Misses

Misses  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like misses with weapons to occur more often in PoE to prolong battles?

• No, it's fine as it is now in PoE
    • Yes, i'd like battles to last longer due to misses which could also require change of tactic (like changing targets)

in BG2 for example, misses occured for me often which sometimes required me to change targets, e.g. when i was attacking an enemy caster to interrupt his casting and i missed then often i would attack him with another char. For attacks with spells, since they're of limited use (unlike unlimited ammunition and melee weapons restricted to the length of battle) misses i think should always have a different attack roll calculation. So, is it ok for you how often attacks with weapons miss in PoE?

I'm not sure this would be a good idea. For the majority of players, I think it would just be frustrating to see your characters miss more often.
Also, due to the engagement system, once you've started attacking someone, it isn't always easy to change targets.

• Like 1

Although I love the miss/hit system from DnD more than what we got in PoE the main problem is that charm, confusion, petrify and similar effects give its full effect on graze but with reduced duration. They should be changed into weaker effect on graze and then having more miss chance would not be needed.

• Like 1

dang it! Majority is choosing the wrong option j/k, thanks for voting in folks.

I'm not sure this would be a good idea. For the majority of players, I think it would just be frustrating to see your characters miss more often.
Also, due to the engagement system, once you've started attacking someone, it isn't always easy to change targets.

but you can use one of your ranged / not engaged chars or if you're out of reach in melee then you could switch to ranged weapon since in this game you're not penalized when using ranged weapons in melee ??

Although I love the miss/hit system from DnD more than what we got in PoE the main problem is that charm, confusion, petrify and similar effects give its full effect on graze but with reduced duration. They should be changed into weaker effect on graze and then having more miss chance would not be needed.

i'm probably missing your point, Archangel, because for effects that take away your hp i understand your wish but not for effects like charm, slow, stun etc. since it's normal that it lasts longer when it's a hit ??

The thing about grazing with status effects is that it allows to you quickly chain two debuffs to get a full-duration status effect on your second shot. A short duration Sickened can guarantee a long duration Prone.

This may or may not be desirable behavior.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 1

You probably didn't follow these forums but the system was designed the way it is just to counter the heavy amount of misses in the first place, and until some time into development there weren't any misses planned at all. In particular, the chances to convince the game designers that there aren't enough misses are pretty slim.

I personally think that affliction graces are too powerful, but revamping that system seems to be pretty complicated.

I'm of the opinion that afflictions should be resolved as follows:

1. Affliction failure is from standard Miss-Graze range.
  2. Affliction hit is from standard Hit-Crit range.

This seems like a relatively straight-forward method of addressing the spell resolution issue. Just adjust the affliction resolution ranges to eliminate grazes and crits, while keeping grazes and crits relevant to the damage portion of spells.

Edited by View619

i'm probably missing your point, Archangel, because for effects that take away your hp i understand your wish but not for effects like charm, slow, stun etc. since it's normal that it lasts longer when it's a hit ??

As others have said, even the graze gives full benefit of the debuff but at a reduced duration. For a Int maxed caster that duration is often long enough to win you the encounter or at least let you stack other full duration debuffs on it. The big example was Adra Dragon that even when grazed with Petrify was enough to start chain debuffing.

Also it made many of the Protection from X spells useless as they just gave you +50 to that defense and you often still got grazed and still Charmed/Dominated/whatever.

Edited by archangel979