No longer able to change screen resolution

msmc7

Question

Description:

At a certain point (I'm not exactly sure when/how), I lost the ability to change the screen resolution in the Graphics tab in the Options menu. The best/only option I'm given is 1200x800 (see screenshot include in Dropbox-linked folder), whereas my Macbook Pro (which has a Retina display) previously has been able to offer/handle/support much higher resolutions.

Steps to Reproduce the Issue:

(I'm not sure how to reproduce the issue on someone else's machine.)

Important Files:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d58neg386l83ep/AAClBzLhmvo9_8gM_rX1wVlPa?dl=0

Savegames

Output Log

System Specs

Screenshot

Just to note, we aren't actively restricting what resolutions are shown. Unity only gives two options to handle how the Mac builds are made using fullscreen. One options disables all external monitors and treats the main game screen as just pure pixels. This mode was causing lots of crashes on various Macs. Thus, we had to ditch it as it is some inherit Unity issue we can't control.

The other mode simply just asks the OS what resolutions are available and treats it like a normal OS monitor. However, with the way Macs handle their retina stuff the OS says the top resolution of the screen is only 1440x900 in your guy's cases (since that is what the OS is treating it as as they do some pixel doubling magic in the background for their high resolution stuff). Again, we don't control what values we get back from the OS as valid options as the Mac's abstract this away. Thus, you are seeing just the subset of actual options your monitor is capable of. This is obviously not ideal but, when having to choose between a mode that crashes people's game and one that doesn't, we went with the one that doesn't.

This mode is built into Unity's executable so there isn't a way to toggle it on or off during runtime with some checkbox (like "Use high resolution options"). Otherwise we would.

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately this isn't something we can fix on our end. Its up to Unity to fix this issue on their end. 

Thank you for your support.