Game Mode Idea: Semi-Iron Man

Obviously the gap in expertise needed for ironman and normal playthroughs is pretty big, especially if one doesn't want to avoid as much combat as possible. So why not have something in between? How about a mode that uses the same single save system as ironman, but instead of one wipe meaning you're done, have it reduce one "life" from a predetermined number which the save file keeps track of, and which the player can decide when starting the game from a number of options. When those lives are all used, the save is destroyed. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Obviously the gap in expertise needed for ironman and normal playthroughs is pretty big, especially if one doesn't want to avoid as much combat as possible. So why not have something in between? How about a mode that uses the same single save system as ironman, but instead of one wipe meaning you're done, have it reduce one "life" from a predetermined number which the save file keeps track of, and which the player can decide when starting the game from a number of options. When those lives are all used, the save is destroyed. Thoughts?

Arcade games like pacman are for challenge, not immersion. Hence arcade games give you up to three lives so you can continue to rise up to that challenge.

An RPG offers both immersion & challenge. In order to preserve immersion for Trial of Iron your character only has one life, like in real life.  Therefore Trial of Iron/Ironman need to be approched with the following questions in mind:

1. How can I survive this challenge?

2. How can I show the enemy no mercy?

3. How can I bring such overwhelming force as to ensure victory in every battle?

4. How can I understand my characters point of view in regards to survival?

Trial of Iron, Ironman, No death ruleset is supposed to make you learn a game in its entiriety, forcing you to explore every possible nook and cranny of the game to help you become victorious.

In nearly every fight, I have the wizard & priest use ALL their spells. I don't give the enemy an ounce of mercy on POTD, TOI.

Doing Trial of Iron in any game for the first time is challenging. However, if you keep at it, it's going to change your gaming style completely. You'll reach a point where you'll never save scum again.   Of course, playing Ironman takes far more time than normal.

I can partially agree with you for time's sake.  Some people want to enjoy Trial of Iron, Ironman, No Death rulest, but they don't have the time. So perhaps some middle ground is in order.

I speak from experience.  I used to livestream @ twitch.tv/luzarius doing no death rulesets for many RPG games.  I've found from speaking to a vast amount of gamers that they genuinely want to try Ironman, but simply lack the time that is required.

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 2

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.