Review: A good step in the right direction but not yet a Baldur's Gate successor

I've just finished this game after 80 hours of playing. Unlike most games, I paid full price for this instead of waiting for a steam sale. 

In general, I am satisfied with the game. I think this represents hope that there will be more games that would follow the style of Baldur's Gate for years to come.

Now, here's a more detailed assessment of the game.

Performance and Stability

The game ran smoothly on my 4-year old PC. I have not experienced any CTD's nor choppiness. I believe the game has been quite well-QAed, which is very important because a buggy game that crashes all the time can easily earn its place in the dust bin.

Graphics

I like how the uses an evolved version of the Infinity Engine. Not only does it bring nostalgia, the engine does work remarkably well for an RPG. The game looks like a 3D version of Baldur's Gate, which is what many of us had dreamed of when we were kids.

The character models are still relatively rough for a 3D game, but it's still much better than the paper dolls in Baldur's Gate which looked ridiculous.

Plot

The plot started out strong but kind of petered out after Gilded Vale. As others mentioned, the player never really was directly affected by the Hollowborn crisis, which was a central theme of the game. One thing Obsidian could've done was to make those yellow-named people the Hollowborn children. This could've added a little to the shock value.

Another thing that's quite flawed is the whole Watcher identity. The game really explained why the player was spared and became a Watcher or provided any sort of urgency on his conditions. 

There are also other smaller bits of story that I find weak. The whole Magran and Skaen conspiring with Woedica came out of nowhere. Also strange is that Durance never interacted with Magran in that temple even though he could hear her.

Environment

Despite the mediocre plot, the overall atmosphere of the game was well-constructed. Each town had its own theme, history, and personality. Even the dungeons and countryside were sprinkled with tiny descriptions, which adds to the overall richness of the game.

Gameplay

There are several key improvements in the game that I consider to be very important. Having faster movements and mass looting speeds up the game tremendously. I absolutely loathed the crawling speed of Baldur's Gate 1 and I'd cry if I had to pick up 12 kobold daggers from the floor individually.

The stash is also a nice touch because inventory space came at a premium in all the previous games. Coupling that with the honest merchants in the game (who buy everything from you at full price), it makes looting that much more enjoyable. 

Another thing I like is the original design of the classes. The wizards of the game are a union of the mages and sorcerers in D&D. It sucked not being able to learn spells as sorcerer and it sucks having to guess your spell splots as a mage. You don't need to go through that crap as a wizard in this game. The chanter and cipher classes are also quite unique. I've never seen games that use their spellcasting systems. Finally, the per-encounter skills/spells come in quite handy. It gives the player reason to use some spells in each fight and not try to hoard them.

The crafting and enchanting system are a nice touch. They feel a bit limited but I can't complain much when they weren't really existent in the previous games.

On the bad things. The first thing that comes to mind is the lack of pre-combat preparation. In previous games, it's often a good strategy to buff the party before a fight. Another substantial downside is the lack of multiclassing and multi-focus. You can't take 3 levels of wizard and progress as a fighter in the other 9 levels. You also cannot be both a stealth and a mechanics master because the skill cost becomes ridiculosuly expensive at high levels. 

Overall

Pillars of Eternity is a good continuation of the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale RPG lineage. It's not exceptional in quality but is still worth of 60 hours of attention especially given the budget.

• Like 1

How is "spend five minutes casting spells before a fight" strategy? There's never a reason not to cast everything you've got before a tough fight in BG. In PoE it actually does require strategy, you need to decide what and when to cast.

I do know that Baldur's Game is not the ultimate representation of this niche market; it had many flaws of its own. I don't think I've ever played a game that was perfect, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy it.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

How is "spend five minutes casting spells before a fight" strategy? There's never a reason not to cast everything you've got before a tough fight in BG. 

Well,  most of them aren't necessary for most fights, so one reason not to that is that you would need to rest before every fight to get the spells back. You can do that, of course.

Then again, if you are going to that, you might as well rest 10 times before each fight and carpet the area with 30-80 thief traps (depending on your level) which will kill almost any group of enemies in the game.

Of course, just like casting every buff spell that you have before every fight,  that 'strategy' wouldn't be as much fun as figuring out what you actually need to do to win the fight but YMMV.

TL;DR: yes you can do that in BG, but the game isn't as much fun that way so why would you?

Durance tries to interact with Magran, but only if you speak with Galawain before speaking with the other Gods (after doing their quests). She totally ignores him, as if she can't even see him. Later, when I spoke with Durance, my charater told him that his soul was damaged and Magran couldn't recognize him.

But if you speak with other Gods first, he will not try to interact with Magran when you speak with Galawain. Apparently, as soon as you find out about Woedica's plan, an option to talk with Durance appears and his quest updates, preventing his reaction when you see Magran.

sign.jpg

How is "spend five minutes casting spells before a fight" strategy? There's never a reason not to cast everything you've got before a tough fight in BG. In PoE it actually does require strategy, you need to decide what and when to cast.

Against certain bosses, it makes sense to cast a few preparation spells especially in Baldur's Gate 2. The Demi Lich for instance is very difficult to beat without warding spells turned on before a fight. Haste and invisibility are great for scouting. Summons and blessing spells are good pre-openers to a battle.