Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Class Build] Pillardin

Paladin Tank Class Build

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

gkathellar

gkathellar

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1994 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

For clarity - I play 1 tank, 5 glass cannons

That may be why. Enemies tend to target whoever has the lowest deflection within a certain radius, so if you only have 1 tank, it's going to be hard for you to catch mobs of 5+ without a doorway or something. 2 tanks makes your life a lot easier.

omgFIREBALLS

omgFIREBALLS

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 855 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

I play the fighters with the same setup, so I'm just comparing experiences.

gkathellar

gkathellar

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1994 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Right. I'm just throwing it out there - my preference is a paladin tank and a monk off-tank, and I've never had problems with mobs moving past them as long as they're a good distance forward. The difference may just be number of tanks.

/le shrug

Anthile

Anthile

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Am I missing something? Why no Righteous Soul? 

• omgFIREBALLS and gkathellar like this

Kaylon

Kaylon

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1138 posts

Personally for a tank paladin I would drop int/dex to min, max con/per/res and put the rest in mig. You need high fortitude vs petrification and adra dragon wings (both of which can be fatal), while deflection and reflexes cover most spells/melee attacks. My first choice of order are the goldpact paladins because you don't get penalties for being cruel/deceptive - which are required if you want the best stat boosts for your character. I would pick background and talents that increase perception mostly because perception is a stat that can't be boosted by resting/foods. I like to take also bear's fortitude and snake reflexes to be able to reach 170+def/170+for/170+refl vs the adra dragon (which means only grazes from him in PotD).

MadDemiurg

MadDemiurg

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Personally for a tank paladin I would drop int/dex to min, max con/per/res and put the rest in mig. You need high fortitude vs petrification and adra dragon wings (both of which can be fatal), while deflection and reflexes cover most spells/melee attacks. My first choice of order are the goldpact paladins because you don't get penalties for being cruel/deceptive - which are required if you want the best stat boosts for your character. I would pick background and talents that increase perception mostly because perception is a stat that can't be boosted by resting/foods. I like to take also bear's fortitude and snake reflexes to be able to reach 170+def/170+for/170+refl vs the adra dragon (which means only grazes from him in PotD).

Not sure this is reachable even if you min/max. Maybe with buffs from priest/chanter.

gkathellar

gkathellar

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1994 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Not sure this is reachable even if you min/max. Maybe with buffs from priest/chanter.

Well, for reference, you need something like 158 for the Adra dragon to only ever graze or miss you on PotD. I'm pretty sure that pre-buffing and without any of the single defense-boosting talents, a balanced set of defences defenses tops out at approximately 165/115/140/115, +/-5 or so. Dunno how high they can get once you start throwing buffs on.

MadDemiurg

MadDemiurg

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Well, for reference, you need something like 158 for the Adra dragon to only ever graze or miss you on PotD. I'm pretty sure that pre-buffing and without any of the single defense-boosting talents, a balanced set of defences defenses tops out at approximately 165/115/140/115, +/-5 or so. Dunno how high they can get once you start throwing buffs on.

158 is for weapon attacks. Most (if not all) of his attacks are abilities and get +12 accuracy bonus for lvl 12. So it's 170 actually, as Kaylon correctly noted.

Edited by MadDemiurg, 22 April 2015 - 04:32 AM.

Kaigen42

Kaigen42

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Am I missing something? Why no Righteous Soul? 

Well, you'll have a high Will defense already, and in my experience the Paladin tank doesn't get targeted much by Charms or Dominates. In my case, they'd rather go after my Cipher or Druid. That said, it's not like Reinforcing Exhortation is the bee's knees, so if you want to grab Righteous Soul instead as insurance, I think that's a viable pick.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1138 posts

You can reach 160+ with food/resting bonuses and the fear aura of the adra dragon will keep Defiant Resolve up all the time which allows you to reach 170.

MadDemiurg

MadDemiurg

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

You can reach 160+ with food/resting bonuses and the fear aura of the adra dragon will keep Defiant Resolve up all the time which allows you to reach 170.

Can you break that down by modifiers you use? I don't remember any good saving throw bonuses from food, this could be interesting.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1138 posts

Can you break that down by modifiers you use? I don't remember any good saving throw bonuses from food, this could be interesting.

From food you can get +2mig/con/dex/int and +3res (also +1per but only 150s duration) which translates to +8fort/+10will/+4refl/+3defl and also +2mig/+2con/+2res from resting which is another +8fort/+4will/+2defl for a total of +16for/+14will/+4refl/+5defl

MadDemiurg

MadDemiurg

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Hm, so if we go wild orlan 18 M/18 C with +3 might/con gear for total of 21/21 we have: 

fort: 20 (base) + 44 (stats) + 27 (maxed faith and conviction w deep faith) + 33 (lvl 12) + 10 (item) + 16 (food/rest bonuses) + 10 (wild orlan's defiance) + 10 (bull's)= 170. Looks legit. If you go min dex your reflex won't be that great even with a shield though.

Edited by MadDemiurg, 22 April 2015 - 01:22 PM.

Kaigen42

Kaigen42

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Kaylon mentions taking Bear's Fortitude, so that's probably here the extra 10 is coming from.

Sword and Shield Style is a pretty big Reflex boost if you keep up with enhancing your shield's quality. My Paladin had minimum Dexterity and maximum Intellect and Resolve and Reflex and Will were dead even. In the case of Orlans, it helps that you can crank Perception so high to make up for the missing Dexterity. Remember that S&S itself adds 6 to the shield's deflection, and that plus the quality modifier stacks with the shield's base deflection to transfer over to Reflex. Even with a small shield like the Outworn Buckler, that can easily be 8 (shield) + 8 (exceptional) + 6 (S&S) = 22 Reflex, not counting the extra bump from the Herald quality.

MadDemiurg

MadDemiurg

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1010 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

Kaylon mentions taking Bear's Fortitude, so that's probably here the extra 10 is coming from.

Sword and Shield Style is a pretty big Reflex boost if you keep up with enhancing your shield's quality. My Paladin had minimum Dexterity and maximum Intellect and Resolve and Reflex and Will were dead even. In the case of Orlans, it helps that you can crank Perception so high to make up for the missing Dexterity. Remember that S&S itself adds 6 to the shield's deflection, and that plus the quality modifier stacks with the shield's base deflection to transfer over to Reflex. Even with a small shield like the Outworn Buckler, that can easily be 8 (shield) + 8 (exceptional) + 6 (S&S) = 22 Reflex, not counting the extra bump from the Herald quality.

Yep, added bear's.

As for reflex, assuming 18/16/3/20/3/16 build:

20 base + 33 level + 27 faith and conv  + 27(buckler w herald, up to 30 with exceptional big shield) + 10 fox + 10 defiant resolve + 10 item = 157-160. + whatever you get from food/rest but if you're using might/con/res resting bonus then nothing from rest probably. Still almost enough.

And just to finish the picture: will

20 base + 33 level + 27 faith and conv + 10(15) item + 10 defiant resolve = 100-105 + whatever you can get from food/rest. Plus there's a paladin passive for +15 vs a lot of will based afflictions. Weakest save but still quite good.

All in all, looks pretty solid.

gkathellar

gkathellar

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1994 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yeah, it makes the case for playing a Wild Orlan pretty well. Makes me wish they had bearable head models.

Orlan mohawk auuuugh

Kaylon

Kaylon

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1138 posts

Yes, Herald is another 5 fortitude, the Outworn Buckler/Little Savior are the best shields overall - compared to a large shield you lose +3defl/refl but you get +5fort/will without losing accuracy. Also you have 4 possible quests which can boost your stats and add also to your defenses. 

Kaigen42

Kaigen42

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, it makes the case for playing a Wild Orlan pretty well. Makes me wish they had bearable head models.

Orlan mohawk auuuugh

I wish they had more customization in general. Right now all you can do is pick the fur color.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1138 posts

Here are the stats (base stats were 15mig/18con/6dex/20/per/3int/15res) of a test paladin I used to fight the adra dragon in PotD:

qtu0CTx.jpg

I started with  15 scrolls of jolting touch + boots of the animancer (to clear the adragans fast and fight the dragon after) and I had also 5potions of major endurance. I had 10 survival to be able to keep my food buffs for the entire fight. The dragon was dead while I had nearly half of my health and lay on hands unused. I don't know if 15 scrolls of jolting touch is considered cheap, but at least now I'm convinced you can kill him solo on PotD without luck/petrify trap.

I'm not sure what the range of his breath is, but if it's less than bow range then a ranger with high int can kill him too rather easily (root him for and then pelt him with arrows while staying out of his range)

Edited by Kaylon, 23 April 2015 - 02:25 AM.

• omgFIREBALLS, gkathellar, MadDemiurg and 1 other like this

gkathellar

gkathellar

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1994 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That's awesome.

Why Dex 6? Unless I'm missing something, you could go Dex 4 and Perception 21, and still have enough Reflex.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paladin, Tank, Class Build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users