If it isn't allowed to replace enchants, please make players aware of that.

I think a better solution would be to not make high-quality armours look utterly ridiculous. Because I share your sentiment completely. I well and truly hate the WoW School of Arms & Armoury that has become so extremely prevalent in modern games.

That way, both of us can get what we want. :3

I approach this from a slightly different perspective, which I believe was also mentioned by Josh in an interview or two.

I do agree with you that realistic/down-to-earth armor design is preferable to the goofy/cartoony over-the-top stuff that has become so hip in recent years. To achieve the former and avoid the latter was one of PoE's stated artistic goals and I believe the game delivered.

However, let's say you find an armor that you really like aesthetically. You like it so much that you'd want your character to wear it for the rest of the game. But, alas, that armor is "Fine" and you'll find plenty better armors along the way, so that keeping your beloved piece will be mechanically sub par. Right? Thanks to the enchantment system, wrong! :) You can enchant your favorite suit of armor and make it "Exceptional"—even "Superb"—thus keeping it mechanically viable for the whole game while retaining the looks you like so much.

For that reason, too, it would make sense to be able to upgrade from "Fine" to "Exceptional" to "Superb".

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Workaround until they fix it:

Open console

iroll20s

FreeRecipesToggle

This will make the game ignore all requirements, but it will still consume ingredients that you do have.

Quit to main menu and reload to enable achievements again.

• Like 1

But it IS possible to override quality... I upgraded my stilettos from normal, to fine, to excellent to superb.

Only on some items.

My quick test seemed to indicate that it's a problem with unique items.

EDIT: And only when you don't have the number of slots left required for the enchantment.

Edited by Serdan

The enchanting system is just really uninspiring.  Inability to remove enchantments, finnicky total enchantments limit where you have to 'game' the system to get the best enchantment combination, etc.  And the magical equipment in the game is just really bland.  Like the Sanguine Plate with its +2 survival taking up a valuable enchantment slot... wow...  that's so useful >_>

2 survival is like BALANCE to that broken armor tho 

The enchanting system is just really uninspiring.  Inability to remove enchantments, finnicky total enchantments limit where you have to 'game' the system to get the best enchantment combination, etc.  And the magical equipment in the game is just really bland.  Like the Sanguine Plate with its +2 survival taking up a valuable enchantment slot... wow...  that's so useful >_>

2 survival is like BALANCE to that broken armor tho 

Is it?  Why?