PotD off-tank (Chanter, Paladin or Priest?)

Guys,

I just reached the city on my first playthrough on PotD but I am not satisfied with my 6 man party. I will restart again with the following setup:

Main Tank: Fighter

Ranged DPS: Rogue

Ranged DPS/CC: Cipher

Ranged DPS/buffer: Chanter

Ranged nuke/Aoe...: Druid

Off-Tank: (Chanter, Paladin, Priest?)

I just can't decide which class to pick as an off-tank. A second chanter to debuff enemies, buff fighter and summon, a Pala to buff and heal some or a priest. However I have zero experience as a priest hence I can't tell if they are as good off-tanks as chanters and paladin. Moreover I don't know

I tend to take the chanter for the debuffs and summons but then I won't have much heal beside the druid.

Barbarian and monk are viable options too. Slightly less durable than a paladin I think, but with far better crown control and damage respectively. They're also far more interesting mechanically than paladins in my opinion.

Check out this guy's channel, he has some great builds if you need some inspiration - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGSnd6gOXMgFuKvNXXFXZsw

Yup you need a Priest.

So either make the Priest the off-tank or make Chanter the off-tank and the Priest as 

Heya,

my 2 cents:

- use your chanter as off-tank and switch it to dps when possible

- use a priest as healer/buffer/dps

EDIT: You have a strong setup otherwise

^My thoughts exactly. Although my off-tank Chanter doesn't do dps since I gave him 2 might. He does do summons though and those can pack a punch.

Otherwise if you want to stick with your current setup then I strongly suggest a Priest as your off-tank. 

I've tried using a Chanter as an off tank a couple of times, but I got frustrated at how fragile they are in the early game. Personally, I like having a Paladin as an off-tank. I'm going to disagree with the idea that you *need* a Priest. Between the Druid and the Chanter you've got some good buffing going on already, so I don't necessarily think you need a Priest to round out the group (and I wouldn't want to use one as an off-tank). That said, a Priest buffing a party full of ranged DPS is a sight to behold.

neither chanter or druid can heal properly , thats priests job especially early game , chanters are only fragile while they have no items , you can change this by killing backer NPC at gilded vale for plate armor or giving him armor from companion that is standing near the tree it has a second chance that is very great thing to have early on offtank 

A Chanter that is built for a Tank is super resistant, they get great deflection.

-Wild Orlan

-Max Per and Res

-Get 2 Might and 3 Dex

-Then max either Int or Con and put the rest of the points in the other. (I maxed Con and got 15int)

*You'll get something like: 2/18/3/20/15/19

For Talents:

-Hold the Line

-Sword and Shield

*I also took Bear's Fortitude since it was by far my lowest defense.

Pale Elf Chanter

Str 7, Con 18, Dex 7, Per 18, Int 10, Res 18

Rautani (Excellent Newbie Items)

Pros:

Fire / Ice resistance (especially if you get Rym's Cloak) let you effortlessly handle shades and phantoms.

Fire / Ice resistance let you stand in the middle of your wizard nukes (fan of flames, chill fog, etc).
Stats are not so low you feel like a total powergamer.

Cons:
???
Not a Moon Born I guess.

Edited by Incendax

I am only refering to PotD difficulty!

ok guys sounds good so far. 

Now I have to dig a little deeper:

What I must achieve with this setup:

- Chanter must be abel to buff Ranged dps reload speed 

- Priest must be able to buff ranaged DPS with accuracy

- Either Chanter or Priest should be abel to deal at least some damage. Is is that unnecessary?

Issues are as follows:

- A chanter off-tank usually has low might hence he is good at invocations but bad with phrases right?

Questions are: 

- Is a high int tank chanter able to actually reach the ranged DPS with the reload phrase?

- Can I somehow make a off-tank (secondary tank) chanter with might or is that impossible for PotD. Race would be pale elf I guess

- Is a Priest able to deal some meaningful range DPS or is his accuracy buff enough to be counted as an indirect damage dealer?

Party would look like this:

Tank: Fighter (Res,Int,Per maxed and rest in Con. Might and Dex dumped)

Off-Tank: Chanter pale elf. maybe with at least 10 might?!?

Ranged DPS rogue

Ranged DPS chiper

Pure druid bomber

Ranged Priest

Well, you can give your chanter a gun and high might instead of con. Like 18 10 4 18 10 18

He won't do tons of damage, but he can stands in front of your ranged Dps and buff them while shooting.

Then swap to a shield when enemies break past your main tank.