Hey, I need some advice on classes etc.

I've fiddled a little bit with the wiki, trying to avoid spoilers etc. I'm just wondering what people suggest would be a good fit for me. I prefer to play spell casters in most games where I have the chance, but Pillars seems to have quite a few different ones.

Are wizards weak to start, but get pewpew after awhile? Worth making a PC as a wizard, or just keep the companion one, etc?

I don't care about min/maxing or whatever... I'd just try to figure out what would work. yanno?

In the BB, the druid was the clear dominator in the caster department.  I've heard it mentioned that a balancing pass is intended for day1 to debuff druids and buff wizards so hard to know until we see the new numbers!

TBH there isn't a large mechanical difference between having a PC wizard or a companion wizard so pick a class you like and it'll likely work out ok.  None of the caster classes are lemons so priest/druid/wizard/cypher will all be fine as a pc imho.  I would pick whichever one you would prefer to RP.

I've fiddled a little bit with the wiki, trying to avoid spoilers etc. I'm just wondering what people suggest would be a good fit for me. I prefer to play spell casters in most games where I have the chance, but Pillars seems to have quite a few different ones.

Are wizards weak to start, but get pewpew after awhile? Worth making a PC as a wizard, or just keep the companion one, etc?

I don't care about min/maxing or whatever... I'd just try to figure out what would work. yanno?

I'd suggest going with Cipher ;)

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71344-wizard-vs-cipher/

I agree with Cipher.

Ciphers have damage, CC, buffs, and debuffs. And target Will (with additional +accuracy), which tends to be the weakest defense on most things. They are more specialized than wizards since wizards can switch out grimoires, but frankly the flexibility of wizard casting isn't as valuable as the reliability of cipher attacks.

don't discard the wizards, they're the most versitile and will learn all spells eventually, the druids are great damage dealers, but lack CC, the ciphers need to charge before casting anything, but all their abilities while limited in selection are very powerful.

• Like 2

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

in spite o' the vast catalog o' spells available to the wizard, we tended to habitually use about two or three spells per spell level.  so even though we had access to many spells, we were functionally using the same number o' abilities as the cipher.  however, there were three or four wizard spells that we used all the freaking time.  there is a handful o' quasi indispensable wizard spells.  also, we suspect that in poe proper, we will have three or four grimoires pre-filled to take advantage o' specific types o' foes.  those limited-use wizard spells we never bothered with 99% o' the time in the beta will, infrequently, be game-changers.   

cipher is likely our favorite caster class, but am suspecting that if we could only chose cipher or wizard for our party, we would likely pick the wizard.  we has become mighty dependent on slicken, minoletta's bounding missiles, confusion, and, particularly for synergy with our fast attack rogues, combusting wounds and curse of blackened sight.  yeah, the cipher has some similar abilities, but we know we has only scratched the surface o' wizard functionality.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It depends a lot on playstyle.  The burst then recharge focus through normal combat is going to frustrate some players of the cipher, while wizard will do largely what people expect (once they work out what spells are useful and which are garbage).  The single target bias of the cipher is also going to appeal or frustrate.

It depends a lot on playstyle.  The burst then recharge focus through normal combat is going to frustrate some players of the cipher, while wizard will do largely what people expect (once they work out what spells are useful and which are garbage).  The single target bias of the cipher is also going to appeal or frustrate.

take the blunderbuss as your weapon o' choice... maybe even use a weapon focus talent to boost it.  now, sit back and let your cipher focus concerns just melt away like those glaciers in argentina and montana.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

take the blunderbuss as your weapon o' choice... maybe even use a weapon focus talent to boost it.  now, sit back and let your cipher focus concerns just melt away like those glaciers in argentina and montana.  

HA! Good Fun!

Definitely take weapon focus for it.  The current build people have been showing off this week gives a blunderbuss a -10 ACC, and ciphers aren't fantastic in that department to begin with.