392 - Significant problems: The Ranger and Light Weapons

PrimeJunta

@Err...a couple people...

I realize I can take generic talents that are melee focused and some of the class talents geared toward the companion and things can still get romantic and work ok. However, what really grinds my gears is that so many of the class talents focused specifically on the ranger assume the ranger has a bow fetish. 

An example of a class talent I think they absolutely nailed is the one where if you and your companion both engage the same enemy you get some sort of bonus (I forget what the actual bonus was). Having so many class talents focused on a specific type of build for the ranger seems like a wasted opportunity to otherwise make something really special.

• Like 2

@Err...a couple people...

I realize I can take generic talents that are melee focused and some of the class talents geared toward the companion and things can still get romantic and work ok. However, what really grinds my gears is that so many of the class talents focused specifically on the ranger assume the ranger has a bow fetish. 

An example of a class talent I think they absolutely nailed is the one where if you and your companion both engage the same enemy you get some sort of bonus (I forget what the actual bonus was). Having so many class talents focused on a specific type of build for the ranger seems like a wasted opportunity to otherwise make something really special.

I think it is the bound between the companion and the ranger that makes Sword and Board ranger so powerful.  Have them target the same enemy and it goes down fast.  Interesting class which makes me wonder if it wasn't just tossed in to make those who wanted a class with a companion beast.  I like building poewer characters if I have to fight I want to win.  I would like more focus on melee for a ranger but how to balance the class and still be unique?

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I think the relationship between ranger and animal is unique enough in itself- it's a matter of making that uniqueness more viable. 

Here's how I look at it: Based on what the ranger offers and how class talents and everything go I would never have thought to try it as anything but a ranged character. Due to that I probably never would have played that class, but luckily for me I read a particular post in this forum and thought, "A melee ranger? Oh my, how untoward! I must try this!" or something to that affect. 

Now I can't wait to play around with the ranger some more. I had decided my first playthrough would be as a Paladin, but if I can come up with a melee ranger build that I'm as comfortable with my Paladin playthrough might not happen, or at least wait awhile.

Focus class talents on making the ranger and companion more in-sync as time goes on (maybe even talents specific toward which animal you chose?) and leave attack/weapon/defense talents to the generic talent lists. I think a very good balance could be struck there.

Will the powers that be change anything? I think it's pretty unlikely at this point in development, but it would be nice to see some improvements to the ranger...

• Like 1

Agreed, one thing is to get those who think the shared health should be dropped  to think outside the box.   The trick is to make the two work as a team thereby protecting each other.  I have had the BB fighter go down much faster than the ranger and companion.  In fact my ranger is standing when others are down, Fighter, barbarian, rogue etc.  The have made the difference between winning or losing a fight.

The good thing about PoE among other good things is the ability to build your character to suit yourself, to actually have what amount to custom classes.  I am now trying out classes that I ignored in earlier games, ranger, monk, paladin.  

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg